12volts over twisted pair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12volts over twisted pair?

I need to power a very small circuit board 12volt dc relay from my Ocelot SECU16 relay. There's about 20feet of cat5 between my SECU16 and that relay. Any reason why that won't work? I know there is power over twisted pair.

If that's not good, what would you suggest?

Go for it and monitor in for a few days but it should work just fine.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks Rupp,

BTW, Been using Backerupp, works great.

I was a little confused by the doc reference to main in the parameters, thinking it meant main sub. Then I realized it's the name in the top text box on the interface and got it right.

(hijacked my own thread)

Comment

If you want to be on the safe side, use two wires for each half of the circuit. For example, use both blue wires (blue and white/blue) for the positive and both orange wires (orange and white/orange) for the negative. That would double the effective gauge of the wire. Also, be sure the power supply is protected by a fuse. 12 volts is enough to make a small wire like that very hot. In the event of a short circuit, you want the power supply fuse to melt, not the wire.

Comment

What kind of current are we talking about here? If I'm reading your post right you want to power a relay with your SECU16. What is the "coil" resistance of the relay you want to power?

Just take the 12v divided by that resistance and that will be the current (unless I'm not understanding the setup, which may easily be the case ).
          --------------------------------------------------
          **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Comment

These PCB relays only take about 30ma to close. It's not like an automotive relay or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by sponnath View Post
              These PCB relays only take about 30ma to close. It's not like an automotive relay or something like that.
              Tune it for minimum smoke and Go for it!

Seriously, there should be no problem. I have a few CAT5 running 12V to cameras and other devices. On the other hand - fuses are definitely good to have!

Comment

I purchased one of those 8 port camera power supplys. I feed a couple of cameras with a double pair of 12VAC wires from a CAT5 cable but noticed that the video has a bit of noise. I started to switch over to CAT5 video balums with power and they are much easier to run and less prone to noise.

Last winter noticed a couple of cameras would drop out (probably due to power supply issues) and this winter with my switch of about 3 from the CAT5/RG6 combo to pure CAT5 with balums eliminated much of the problems.

Another solution is to use siemese (sp?) cable which is a paired rg6 and 14 guage wire.
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                X