This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to get HSTouch to work with your iPhone

Since there seem to be quite a few posts of people having problems using their iPhone with HSTouch (I was one of them), I thought I'd share Step by step instructions on how I got it working. This was on a Windows XP desktop running Homeseer 2.2.0.66 and an Iphone 3GS.

1. Make sure you have a user with admin privledges set up on Homeseer webserver. (select SETUP then WEB USERS on the tabs at the top of the Homeseer web page.) Make a note of the user name and password.

2. You have to install the HSTouch server on Homeseer. You do this by running updater (select UPDATER on the tabs at the top of the Homeseer web page) You'll find HSTouch Server listed in the USER INTERFACES section.

3) After you have installed HSTouch server and restarted Homeseer, go to the Homeseer application (the application, not the web page) and select the HELP then SYSTEM INFORMATION menu.

4) Write down the following:
    A. Your LAN IP address. This will be something like: 192.168.1.5
    B. Your External IP address. This will be something like: 34.21.21.200

5. Open your router configuration.Usually this is done simply by opening an internet browser window and putting in 192.168.1.1 in the address bar, then when the router login window comes up, entering the username and password for your router. If you need help with this you can find quite a bit online, just search for your router name and "configuration" or something like that.

6. Go to the Port Forwarding portion of your router configuration. Forward port 10200 to the address from step 4A. In my example, the address would be 192.168.1.5

7. Save your settings & exit the router config.

8. Install the HStouch app on your Iphone.

9. Go to the SETTINGS page on your iPhone. (The gear icon). Select the HSTouch app.

10. Configure it as follows:
    LOCAL SERVER
    ADDRESS: This is where you put the LAN IP address from step 4A
    PORT: 10200
    REMOTE SERVER
    ADDRESS: Put the External IP address from step 4B
    PORT: 10200
    CONNECTION MODE: ASK
    USERNAME: The homeseer webserver user name from step 1
    PASSWORD: The homeseer webserver password from step 1
    CLIENT
    NAME: default (thats right, it is the actual word "default"
    Configuration: sample.xml

That's it! Just back out of the setting screen, go to your HStouch app, and both the remote and the local methods should work. If not, you might want to try disabling your local firewall, although on my system that wasn't necessary.

Good luck!

Where is the F'ing Manual

I am trying to work out HSTouch. I can access the server from the designer, but both my iPhone and my iPad fail to connect, simply saying "Connection failed to server."

As I look for help on this issue, I am becoming very disenchanted with HomeSeer. The normal answer to my problem is to RTFM. But there is no FM. There are tutorials, but hours spent with them give me nothing. A very poor way to troubleshoot.

Users attempt to supply pieces of the documentation through this board by documenting their experiences. Why is that necessary? The developer of the product knows the answers but appear unwilling to document them for us.

I have a simple problem but no useful tools to help me find a solution. I am coming to hate these guys.

Comment

Originally posted by IanSmithCA View Post
      I am trying to work out HSTouch. I can access the server from the designer, but both my iPhone and my iPad fail to connect, simply saying "Connection failed to server."

As I look for help on this issue, I am becoming very disenchanted with HomeSeer. The normal answer to my problem is to RTFM. But there is no FM. There are tutorials, but hours spent with them give me nothing. A very poor way to troubleshoot.

Users attempt to supply pieces of the documentation through this board by documenting their experiences. Why is that necessary? The developer of the product knows the answers but appear unwilling to document them for us.

I have a simple problem but no useful tools to help me find a solution. I am coming to hate these guys.
      If these steps do not work, then it's something that most of us do not know the solution to. Assuming you are using the latest of all the peises and you have enabled the HSTouch iPhone plugin via setup and then interfaces then we are not sure why you can't connect.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by IanSmithCA View Post

I think you have described the documentation system as succinctly as anyone. The amazing thing is that it does actually work.

If you describe your problem the chances are very good that you will get constructive assistance in resolving it. If that isn't an acceptable process for you, and I understand that it can be frustrating, HS may not be for you.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
          I think you have described the documentation system as succinctly as anyone. The amazing thing is that it does actually work.

If you describe your problem the chances are very good that you will get constructive assistance in resolving it. If that isn't an acceptable process for you, and I understand that it can be frustrating, HS may not be for you.
          Early on last decade, I selected HS as my home automation software because of these forums and the abundance of peer to peer assistance.

I think even with a manual, with youtube videos, webinars, and a working deployed demo running on the iPhone, getting everything to run does take a few aha moments for someone new to HS. I have been running HS for many years, and it took a couple of them to get the iPhone HSTouch deployed the very first time. After that though, it's been soo easy to use. Steep curve of understanding.
          huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

Unable to Connect

I installed and configured HSTOUCH and the iPhone app. Got everything working great - as long as I choose "Remote" and I am home. But if I leave (no wifi) the Remote connection gives message "Unable to connect, an internet connection is required. Click OK to retry the connectio, or exit and chedck the HSTouch settings." I have a great 3G signal. My Settings are as follows: Remote Server Adddress = [my HS Server PC's external IP] / Port = 10200. That port is forwarded to my HS Server's LAN IP. And the Remote connection is the one I choose when at home also (I have "Connection Mode" set to Ask). Any ideas?

Comment

Iphone use without LAN

I am using HSPro software on a netbook with a z-stick. Internet connection is over the WiFi. The router and cable modem are in a location where I would have a very difficult time running an ethernet cable to the netbook. The netbook is located where it is so that I can reach all of my devices. I want to be able to use my iPhone as a remote at home and when I'm away from home. Can I do that over Wifi or do I have to connect by ethernet to my router? If I can, how do I do it?

Comment

Wifi works just fine.
                💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Does iPhone Client utilize DNS?

Hi,
                  I setup HS iphone interface on my itouch. local works just fine. If I type in a valid remote IP it works fine. If I use a free DNS service to convert to IP, it doesn't work. I tested the DNS service with other web based services and the DNS service is working fine...It appears that HS for iphone does not dns the text URL (www.dynamicdnstext.com) to an IP (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)?

Any ideas?
                  Thanks
                  Mike

Comment

In case anybody else sees this what I found is that the first time I connect remotely it needs to be on wifi. After that first time 3g works fine. This was true for my iPhone and my iPad

Originally posted by skimis View Post
                    I installed and configured HSTOUCH and the iPhone app. Got everything working great - as long as I choose "Remote" and I am home. But if I leave (no wifi) the Remote connection gives message "Unable to connect, an internet connection is required. Click OK to retry the connectio, or exit and chedck the HSTouch settings." I have a great 3G signal. My Settings are as follows: Remote Server Adddress = [my HS Server PC's external IP] / Port = 10200. That port is forwarded to my HS Server's LAN IP. And the Remote connection is the one I choose when at home also (I have "Connection Mode" set to Ask). Any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                    X