Windows vs Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows vs Linux

I have an SEL and loving my HomeSeer experience. I'm thinking about making my own box out of a MacMini I have. I'd like to know what the differences between the Windows version of HS3 and the Linux version. What is the better system in terms of customization paired with ease of use. I'm not real good at terminal commands.....

Thanks,

AARPaul in Florida

Just my opinion:

(1) HS3 is written in .net (windows based) and works (mostly) via Mono simulating .net on Linux

(2) Some plugins only work on Windows, not Linux.

(3) If something happens to you and your replacement must maintain your home automation, there are more people comfortable with Windows than Linux.

Usually comes down to what you are comfortable with, buy my recommendation is Windows.

tenholde
    tenholde

Comment

I use both with my base today in Ubuntu 16.04 / 64 bit for running HS3 Pro and a few adds using Wintel. It is rock solid for me.

All of my touchscreen HS consoles are Wintel.

Over the years have become comfortable with both OS's.

If something happens to me; wife will just unplug servers. I have helped a Homeseer widow and over a period of a few months she requested that all HS stuff be shut off or gave me the option of continuously supporting it. Another HS user's wife hired a tech once who called me to get the home Homeseer running again (remotely). It appeared that her husband's mind had taken a bad turn and Homeseer offered a bit of peace in the home.

It is addicting. Shut it off for a bit and watch what happens.

Homeseer 1 (one) was a client desktop experience. Plugins were configured on the client.

Homeseer 2 (two) remained a client desktop changing and improving from first generation Homeseer.

Homeseer 3 (three) is not a desktop experience and configured via a browser GUI making it totally headless today (appliance like).

The desktop has evolved a bit going for that visual / touch stuff (tablets and phones) and the headless server appliance is now a $35 miniature Raspberry Pi the size of your hand. You do not need to see it to know that it is working. You can manage it from just about anywhere with any browser (well almost) on any OS you choose on just about any hardware with an interface.

That said as said it is up to the individual.

BTW a repost here of an article from November 16, 2016

Microsoft joins the Linux Foundation
      Posted Nov 16, 2016 by Frederic Lardinois (@fredericl)

How is this for a surprise: Microsoft today announced that it is joining the Linux Foundation as a high-paying Platinum member.

“This may come as a surprise to you, but they were not big fans,” Linux Foundation executive director Jim Zemlin told me in regards to his foundation’s history with Microsoft. The new Microsoft under CEO Satya Nadella, however, is singing a very different tune.

Today’s Microsoft is one of the biggest open source contributors around. Over the course of just the last few years, it has essentially built Canonical’s Ubuntu distribution into Windows 10, brought SQL Server to Linux, open-sourced core parts of its .NET platform and partnered with Red Hat, SUSE and others. As Zemlin noted, Microsoft has also contributed to a number of Linux Foundation-managed projects like Node.js, OpenDaylight, the Open Container Initiative, the R Consortium and the Open API Initiative.

Despite all of that, today’s announcement will still come as a surprise to many, given that Microsoft and the Linux community often felt like they were at war with each other in the past. Zemlin acknowledged as much when I talked to him. “There will be some skepticism, but that will be from a smaller group,” he said. “There is an anti-establishment sentiment in open source. That’s natural.” He added that whenever a major corporation goes open source, that’s what happens. But he also noted that Microsoft has been “walking this talk for a very long time” now.

Other Linux Foundation Platinum members, which pay about $500,000 for the privilege, include Cisco, Fujitsu, HPE, Huawei, IBM, Intel, NEC, Oracle, Qualcomm and Samsung. Google, Facebook and more than a dozen other prominent open source users are Gold sponsors.

John Gossman, an architect on the Azure team, will join the Linux Foundation Board of Directors.
      Last edited by Pete; November 27, 2016, 09:57 AM.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

In my quest to abandon all things Microsoft (because they keep abandoning me) I've moved from windows phone to android, my sbs 2011 I used for my business which had exchange,share-point, and file sharing I've moved to zentyal/Ubuntu, Alfresco Ubuntu and freenas bsd. All now running as vmware virtual machines on a single server except freenas.

My next virtual machine is going to be for homeseer and will be linux. My current install is on windows 7 which can no longer run updates for some reason, and freezes every time I wake it up for about 10 seconds. Also after about a week of running my homeseer zwave lights will delay by up to 30 seconds until I reboot.

It will be interesting to see if I can move all of my current plugins to linux running on a virtual machine. Virtual machines have been great for learning linux because I can do complete backups for free using HPE VM explorer and restore them when I do something really stupid

Overall it has been a steep learning curve moving my business servers to linux but very satisfying and in my opinion worth it in the end.
        https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...plifier-plugin

Comment

@Bill have a side question (well sort of).

Helping a Homeseer user migrate his HS3 from Windows 10 to Ubuntu Linux.

He DIY'd an 8 drive NAS box using an LSi Raid controller card. He also wants to run HS3 on the box. It is using an Intel iSeries 7 CPU with 16Gb of RAM.

Here DIY'd an 8 drive NAS using an LSi Raid card and FreeNAS (BSD). My NAS is only doing NAS.

So initially suggested creating a base Ubuntu 64 bit server, running HS3 on the main OS and creating a VB of Freenas until I noticed that that would not work....reading some. I did create the VB but see that I can only create virtual drives from the LSi controller.

Now thinking maybe of just installing the LSi Raid Linux software, creating and sharing partitions on the RAID configuration while concurrently running HS3 or
          removing the iSeries motherboard from the NAS and putting it in another box and purchasing another motherboard for the NAS.

Do you think that'll work OK?

I have not tried to do the VB stuff (jails) or running Oracle VB on the FreeNAS box. I have read good and bad about that.

Here mix virtual machines and stand alone machines. Video- CCTV - MythTV are separate/NAS (3), PFSense are also separate along with the HS3 boxes.

Homeseer 3 Pro here runs on Ubuntu 16.04 / 64 bit with a side of Wintel Oracle VB's using direct connected USB/Serial and networked hardware.

Homeseer 3 lite here runs on a mini Ubuntu 16.04 / 64 bit server using mostly indirect networked hardware.
          Last edited by Pete; November 27, 2016, 12:02 PM.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I got lucky and inherited an hp ml350 with 24 cores and 48gig of memory(free). I installed VMware as a bare metal hyper-visor (free). I originally loaded ubuntu with virtual box but would sometimes experience issues with stability, not sure why. VMware 6 removed some of the limitations they had on their free version so I decided to give it another try after abandoning it years ago and it has been rock solid. I tried running freenas as a VM but it kept disconnecting my file shares and while troubleshooting I ran into a lot of warnings online about running it as a VM, mainly about write cache to the drives. So I had an old hp proliant micro-server lying around with 4 drive bays and I now boot freenas from a usb stick as intended and it has been rock solid. I have not played with jails in freenas and only use it as a NAS.
            https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...plifier-plugin

Comment

Thank you Bill.

Yes here I keep writing FreeNAS which I used to use and now it is NAS4Free. Been rock solid here using Hitachi 2 Tb hard drives and booting from a small 32 Gb internal SSD.
              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
              X