No announcement yet.

Alexa room access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The thing I don't like about the new app is the change in the "Forget this device". Now you have to disable the device unlink homeseer and relink when you want to remove a device. Having done this the old device still shows. Unless I'm doing something wrong. It needs a delete device.

Comment

Just found a delete screen on the alexa web page.
      https://alexa.amazon.com

Comment

Originally posted by scg View Post
        The thing I don't like about the new app is the change in the "Forget this device". Now you have to disable the device unlink homeseer and relink when you want to remove a device. Having done this the old device still shows. Unless I'm doing something wrong. It needs a delete device.
        I noticed that too. If you go to your alexa settings in the browser, alexa.amazon.com, you're still presented with the "forget" links to delete devices.

Comment

Originally posted by DevinH View Post
          Problem is, I don't yet know how Alexa knows you're in the bedroom. I have to assume that it's based on which echo you're talking to. But there's been no changes to the settings section of echo devices.
          Just got my answer in the Alexa forums

the full update enabling this functionality isn't out yet despite the app being updated overnight. I'm also waiting for it to make things easier.

Comment

Yes it's yet to come. You'll know when your alexa app has "Routine" added under "smart home" in the menu. Then we'll be in the money
            Support is not sure when this part of the update will be out.

Comment

Originally posted by DevinH View Post

The device groups section has been re-worked as well. So you can, supposedly, create a group named 'Bedroom', associate the device 'Bedroom Light' to the Bedroom group, and when in the bedroom, ask Alexa to 'turn on the lights'... rather than 'turn on the bedroom lights'.
              I am out of town now and cannot test this, but can you confirm this is working?
              Hector
              MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
              AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Looks like it's NOW updated on the alexa app. I assigned an echos to each group. But only:cool one group goes on. I say turn on lights (when I'm in the kitchen) and the family Room lights go on. Same for any other room. Just turns on the family room lights. I wonder if you have to delete and re-discover all the devices and re setup the groups?

Comment

alexa app was updated

The alexa app was updated for individual room control. You can now assign a echo to a room. I can't seem to get it working correctly. No matter which room I'm in just the family room lights turn on. In the garage using the garage echo I say "Turn on lights" and the family room lights turn on.
                  Checking with support and waiting for reply.

Comment

Yes. Check your alexa app. If ROUTINES are in the menu your app is updated.

Comment

I'm seeing the same thing here, gotta figure this out.
                      John

Comment

I just got off the phone with Amazon support. It seems they know of this problem. I'll try deleting all my devices and groups and have them re-discovered. If this does not work Amazon support will put me in touch with their tech department. Support is sending a report over to echo techs. I also asked the to remove the disable device and add a delete in the app. I'll try the removal and re-discover tomorrow.

Comment

Actually I spoke too soon, it is working now, just not for Homeseer devices. I checked the Amazon Dev forums and noticed a complaint about WEMO devices not working but LIFX were. I have the LIFX bulbs that are connected through the LIFX skill to Alexa so I tested a group with those bulbs and it works as expected. Those bulbs are in our bedroom so I added the bedroom Dot to their group, in the bedroom I say "Alexa turn on lights" and it works but in any other room in does nothing. Alexa turn lights blue, and bam all three bulbs go blue, its really nice.
                          I think the problem is the Homeseer skill may need to be updated to the Alexa V3 api, that adds a bunch of new things. I hope it is a priority for them as this is something that has to be done to stay competitive with other platforms.
                          John

Comment

I think it might be a V3 API issue which is being worked on so we will post when the update is available.

Originally posted by lj502 View Post
                            Actually I spoke too soon, it is working now, just not for Homeseer devices. I checked the Amazon Dev forums and noticed a complaint about WEMO devices not working but LIFX were. I have the LIFX bulbs that are connected through the LIFX skill to Alexa so I tested a group with those bulbs and it works as expected. Those bulbs are in our bedroom so I added the bedroom Dot to their group, in the bedroom I say "Alexa turn on lights" and it works but in any other room in does nothing. Alexa turn lights blue, and bam all three bulbs go blue, its really nice.
                            I think the problem is the Homeseer skill may need to be updated to the Alexa V3 api, that adds a bunch of new things. I hope it is a priority for them as this is something that has to be done to stay competitive with other platforms.
                            John
                            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thank you for the response on this, I figured it was being worked on already.

John

Comment

Where do you see the option to add an Echo to a group?

Comment

Working...
                                X