First manned mission to land on the Moon, on 20 July 1969

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First manned mission to land on the Moon, on 20 July 1969

The family all watched. Grandma didn't believe it.

The United States' Apollo 11 was the first manned mission to land on the Moon, on 20 July 1969. There have been six manned U.S. landings (between 1969 and 1972) and numerous unmanned landings, with no soft landings happening from 22 August 1976 until 14 December 2013.

To date, the United States is the only country to have successfully conducted manned missions to the Moon, with the last departing the lunar surface in December, 1972.

A total of twelve men have landed on the Moon. This was accomplished with two US pilot-astronauts flying a Lunar Module on each of six NASA missions across a 41-month time span starting on 20 July 1969 UTC, with Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin on Apollo 11, and ending on 14 December 1972 UTC with Gene Cernan and Jack Schmitt on Apollo 17. Cernan was the last to step off the lunar surface.

All Apollo lunar missions had a third crew member who remained on board the Command Module. The last three missions had a rover for increased mobility.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

I remember it well... I always followed the Apollo missions when I was younger...

There are those however who have said the U.S never did land on the moon.

Ah the days when NASA had money...

Robert
    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Thanks Pete. Great stuff. In my profile when it asks when you started with automation I have always had July 20, 1969. It's not a lack of money. It's a lack of leadership with vision.

"...We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too..."

For the full text:
      http://er.jsc.nasa.gov/seh/ricetalk.htm

Compare and contrast with "Clinton is a poopyhead." "Trump is a poopyhead."
      Last edited by mikaluch; July 20, 2016, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Thank you Mike.

It's not a lack of money. It's a lack of leadership with vision.

It's more basic then that.

It is just lack of current leadership (current leadership with the mind set build of a 3 year old)
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

i am 100% sure it was a hoax ,
          there was an apollo member wo said that before he died on a interview..
          but it still remains a mistery

Originally posted by langenet View Post
          I remember it well... I always followed the Apollo missions when I was younger...

There are those however who have said the U.S never did land on the moon.

Ah the days when NASA had money...

Robert
          Preferred -> Jon's Plugins, Pushover, Phlocation, Easy-trigger,
          Rfxcom, Blade Plugins, Pushbullet, homekit, Malosa Scripts

HS3Pro 4.1.14.0 on windows 10 enterprise X64 on hp quadcore laptop 8 GB.

Comment

Personally folks get more entertained reading about hoaxes that real history. That is the world we live in today.

That said these days changing history is in vogue. I wonder why as we have always learned from history.

Much third-party evidence for the landings exists, and detailed rebuttals to the hoax claims have been made. Since the late 2000s, high-definition photos taken by the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter (LRO) of the Apollo landing sites have captured the lander modules and the tracks left by the astronauts. In 2012, images were released showing five of the six Apollo missions' American flags erected on the Moon still standing (the Apollo 11 flag was accidentally blown over by the takeoff rocket's exhaust, but is still there).

Conspiracists have managed to sustain public interest in their theories for more than 40 years, despite the rebuttals and third-party evidence. Opinion polls taken in various locations have shown that between 6% and 20% of Americans and 28% of Russians surveyed believe that the manned landings were faked.

Unrelated you read sometimes about the vaccination / disease hoaxes. Truth is while we are not heading towards a zombie apocalypse; germs (bad viruses, bad bacterial infections) are living things too (aside from human beans, plants, animals et al) and are evolving and becoming resistant to what ails them. It is just evolution. It started a long time ago and really just the steps in evolution of the germ.

IE: the polio vaccine did do good.

The genetic mutation to a sickle shaped blood cell did make folks resistant to malaria such that the person lived longer not getting malaria because of their blood cells.

Sad thing is that much of the mechanisms of action while seen are not understood.

Folks will read stuff with easy explanations which are obviously false but makes sense to them.

That is just the way it is though.
            Last edited by Pete; August 4, 2016, 01:14 AM.
            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
            X