GE/Jasco Z-Wave Model 45606 switch question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GE/Jasco Z-Wave Model 45606 switch question

I have 12 pot lights in my bedroom and a 50watt bulb in each pot light for a total of 600watts.
    Will the 45606 dimmer handle this? I will not be breaking off any tabs.

This is the only switch in my house that has that high of wattage connected to it.
    Cheers,
    Bob
    Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

The switch is rated for 500 watts and that's with all the tabs and installed all by itself in a single gang box. Not sure what would happen if you exceeded the load - seems to always be a heat issue. The ACT switches support 600 watts though - but then you've got a green LED mixed in with all your blue ones .

Comment

I have run into this and decided I will use SA UPB module for the locations that have the need for higher wattage. I just don't know enough to risk it.

Comment

If you over load these switches they will burn out, trust me on that. Dimming them will make it worse.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Damn... this is the only switch that is above 500watts in the house.
          I guess I will have to look for smaller watt pot light bulbs
          Cheers,
          Bob

Comment

I think ALL the other Z-wave manufacturers have switches that will handle more wattage.

Comment

The ACT switches are only 500watt
              Cheers,
              Bob

Comment

Bob - my appologies - I assumed the Wayne Dalton switches were a clone of the ACT switches. I was looking at the one HomeSeer sells - it's the previous generation (the new Wayne Dalton ones are rebadged Levitons with the big 'toggle' look - not a fan):

http://store.homeseer.com/store/HA14...n-P744C64.aspx

This switch also has an added bonus in that when used with HomeSeer it supports 'instant status', so you wouldn't need to poll it. Says it's rated for 600 watts.

Other option would be going the CFL route. Obviously there are issues with CFLs and dimmers, but - in general - they have still worked for me. I Had four 65 watt pots in the kitchen but I switched to CFLs that were 'equivalent' and all four total now use less power than 1 of the original bulbs (60w). I bought the 'dimmable' ones and in all honesty that was a waste - it doesn't compare to a regular incandescent - but they do dim to a point.

Not ideal, but you could also just use lower wattage on some of the 'outlying' ones that are not illuminating your main 'task' areas of your bedroom. Switch 4 of your 50's to 25's and voila - the switch is happy.

Comment

The Leviton VRI10-1LX Vizia RF+ 1000-Watt 2-Wire Dimmer is an option

Comment

1000 watts... that sounds like a real man's switch!

Comment

Some manufacturers are working on 2200W 2-wire dimmers but the problem with those is that the heat dissipation is too high for the switch to be safe/stable.. i hope to more of these products soon though

Comment

Working...
                      X