Partial connectivity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stain View Post
    So I think that's part of the problem. I don't know how/where to set parity or stop bits. I don't see the options in the Edgeport configuration utility or plugin. I can tell commands are being sent from the plugin to the AM and panel, but nothing is being received.

I'll check voltage on pins.
    But you're running at 9600?
    Connecting a terminal program to the comm port and looking at it will tell you if it's working as well.

Z

Comment

Originally posted by vasrc View Post
      But you're running at 9600?
      Connecting a terminal program to the comm port and looking at it will tell you if it's working as well.

Z
      I've verified port settings and they seem to match what you are describing. I can connect via putty or another terminal program, but don't see traffic.

I'm assuming the port is closed when the plugin is connected to the comm port?
      Attached Files

Comment

I've verified port settings and they seem to match what you are describing. I can connect via putty or another terminal program, but don't see traffic.

I'm assuming the port is closed when the plugin is connected to the comm port?
        The PI should be either Disconnected or disabled when make the Putty connection, otherwise it will hold up the port. You shouldn't be able to connect with putty though if it's connected to the PI.

The AM should be transmitting at all times with data (making a keypad display change will always cause data to be sent), so if you're connected correctly to the AM you should see some characters on your terminal emulator.

Z

Comment

The PI should be either Disconnected or disabled when make the Putty connection, otherwise it will hold up the port. You shouldn't be able to connect with putty though if it's connected to the PI.

The AM should be transmitting at all times with data (making a keypad display change will always cause data to be sent), so if you're connected correctly to the AM you should see some characters on your terminal emulator.

Z
          Alright, was able to connect with Putty, but do not see any traffic. I've tried all ports and just have a blank screen. I've tried reassigning to different com ports and still nothing.

I know I can send commands out via the virtual keypad when connected, but nothing comes from the control panel to the HS machine.

Comment

Alright, was able to connect with Putty, but do not see any traffic. I've tried all ports and just have a blank screen. I've tried reassigning to different com ports and still nothing.

I know I can send commands out via the virtual keypad when connected, but nothing comes from the control panel to the HS machine.
            That's a big clue. So when you click on the asterisk on the virtual keypad, your real keypad chimes?

What do you get when you check off Communications Debug in the PI?

Z

Comment

Concordseer,

Thanks for your help.

The serial number on the automation module is 21912140007128. It doesn't match your naming convention, but that's what the sticker says.

I've tried changing com ports, but will try again.

Thanks again.
              Ok. The number I gave you was a serial number from the box I received my AM module in from the manufacturer.

Go into System Programming-Accessory Modules-Bus Devices-Unit ID and list the ID number for each unit installed. We can compare numbers to eliminate any problem with the card type you have installed.

Incidentally did you buy your panel and AM from new. Did your AM come as a complete unit in a plastic case or was it just fixed to a plastic hangar for mounting internally in the steel chassis.

Comment

That's a big clue. So when you click on the asterisk on the virtual keypad, your real keypad chimes?

What do you get when you check off Communications Debug in the PI?

Z
                Here is the log from running a few commands from the virtual keypad. I sent an asterix command a couple of times, an arm command, and a disarm command in random order. They were received by the alarm panel, and the system armed, but it was beeping afterwards. It seems like the AM is awaiting a response, but it times out.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by concordseer View Post
                  Ok. The number I gave you was a serial number from the box I received my AM module in from the manufacturer.

Go into System Programming-Accessory Modules-Bus Devices-Unit ID and list the ID number for each unit installed. We can compare numbers to eliminate any problem with the card type you have installed.

Incidentally did you buy your panel and AM from new. Did your AM come as a complete unit in a plastic case or was it just fixed to a plastic hangar for mounting internally in the steel chassis.
                  The Concord 4 system was installed on the house when built (2012). I am the second owner of the house and inherited the system. I purchased the AM new (old stock) from eBay. Model on the box is 60-783-02. The AM is in a self contained plastic case from which i had to remove screws.

As for bus devices programmed into the panel:

0 - 02997856
                  1 - 03761548 (AM)
                  3 - 09790889

I am running 2 keypads and 1 AM on the system. I've auto-connected the AM, as well as deleted it and manually added it into the bus devices.

Comment

Here is the log from running a few commands from the virtual keypad. I sent an asterix command a couple of times, an arm command, and a disarm command in random order. They were received by the alarm panel, and the system armed, but it was beeping afterwards. It seems like the AM is awaiting a response, but it times out.
                    OK.
                    You're AM is working, at least for RX, so we can assume baud/etc is correct
                    For some reason you're not receiving TX data from the AM, so either it's not sending, or the Edgeport is blocking?

Can you check to make sure you see voltage from pins 3 (RXD) -5 (GND) on the Edgeport DB-9 connector. This will ensure the AM TXD is connected.
                    How long is the cable between the AM and the Edgeport?

What are the AM LED's doing? The Bus status LED should be randomly flashing, and the RS232 LED should be flashing for both RX and TX.

Do you have a USB/Serial or Enet/Serial device?

Otherwise it may be a bad AM or additional config for the AM is needed (Matt?).

Z

Comment

OK.
                      You're AM is working, at least for RX, so we can assume baud/etc is correct
                      For some reason you're not receiving TX data from the AM, so either it's not sending, or the Edgeport is blocking?

Can you check to make sure you see voltage from pins 3 (RXD) -5 (GND) on the Edgeport DB-9 connector. This will ensure the AM TXD is connected.
                      How long is the cable between the AM and the Edgeport?

What are the AM LED's doing? The Bus status LED should be randomly flashing, and the RS232 LED should be flashing for both RX and TX.

Do you have a USB/Serial or Enet/Serial device?

Otherwise it may be a bad AM or additional config for the AM is needed (Matt?).

Z
                      OK, so I'm getting voltage readings (10 volts?) from pins 3, 4 and 7 on the Edgeport. Its a cheap Harbor Freight meter, so I think I'm doing the conversion right. I tested the port as well as through the cable

The cable is about 3 feet long

As for the lights:

Power (green) - solid
                      Bus - Fast flash/Flicker
                      RS232 - slow flash/Blink

I don't have any other serial devices.

I also just checked the AM. No voltage coming from any of the pins. I think I read above it was supposed to come from 2-5. Pin 5 (female side) should still be ground, correct?

I really appreciate your guys' patients and walking me through troubleshooting.
                      Last edited by Stain; June 10, 2017, 05:27 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Stain;1310440]The Concord 4 system was installed on the house when built (2012). I am the second owner of the house and inherited the system. I purchased the AM new (old stock) from eBay. Model on the box is 60-783-02. The AM is in a self contained plastic case from which i had to remove screws.

As for bus devices programmed into the panel:

0 - 02997856
                        1 - 03761548 (AM)
                        3 - 09790889

I am running 2 keypads and 1 AM on the system. I've auto-connected the AM, as well as deleted it and manually added it into the bus devices.[

Ok my ID numbers as follows

0-12323224
                        1-07242171
                        2-11978825

I've a keypad and a PVM connected to mine. I wonder if mattm55 could verify his ID numbers. It really sounds like an issue with the AM module even though you have the Rx side of things working. I'm still a little suspicious about the Edgeport bridge though

Comment

OK, so I'm getting voltage readings (10 volts?) from pins 3, 4 and 7 on the Edgeport. Its a cheap Harbor Freight meter, so I think I'm doing the conversion right. I tested the port as well as through the cable

The cable is about 3 feet long

As for the lights:

Power (green) - solid
                          Bus - Fast flash/Flicker
                          RS232 - slow flash/Blink

I don't have any other serial devices.

I also just checked the AM. No voltage coming from any of the pins. I think I read above it was supposed to come from 2-5. Pin 5 (female side) should still be ground, correct?

I really appreciate your guys' patients and walking me through troubleshooting.
                          Right, from the AM you should see 5+Vdc from pins 2-5. I just checked my AM to be sure. Pull the DB9 male from the AM and measure directly (top right is 1, top left is pin 5) when looking directly at the female DB9.

Z

Comment

Right, from the AM you should see 5+Vdc from pins 2-5. I just checked my AM to be sure. Pull the DB9 male from the AM and measure directly (top right is 1, top left is pin 5) when looking directly at the female DB9.

Z
                            Nope, nothing out of pin 2 directly checking the AM

Bad AM?

Comment

Nope, nothing out of pin 2 directly checking the AM

Bad AM?
                              Pin 2 to 5
                              Not to be insulting , but you're sure it is 2 & 5 and not reversed.
                              How are you getting into the plugs pins (paperclip?)

Otherwise, I'd guess a bad AM. You might unpower it and let it re-init once just to see.

Z

Comment

Pin 2 to 5
                                Not to be insulting , but you're sure it is 2 & 5 and not reversed.
                                How are you getting into the plugs pins (paperclip?)

Otherwise, I'd guess a bad AM. You might unpower it and let it re-init once just to see.

Z
                                No offense taken. Sometimes its double checking the basics to make sure dumb mistakes aren't made

I'm using pieces of 20 gauge wire in the female connector directly on the AM. I'm checking #5 (top left) and #2 (top, second from right). I reset power to the system, and am now getting a reading of 1.8V.

Comment

Working...
                                X