Socket adapter for LED use with older Zwave GE Dimmer switches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Socket adapter for LED use with older Zwave GE Dimmer switches

Slowly replacing ceiling lights with LEDs around the house... that currently use the older GE Zwave wall dimmers. Just can't afford to replace them all with HS switches (or other brand).

Remember an older thread (maybe in my Vera years) about a way to retrofit a ceiling set of can lights with some sort of resister/capacitor (not an electrician, so bare with my ignorance) that would allow dimming to work, without having to use the trick of using one older regular wattage lightbulb in one of the cans.

Got me to thinking... there should be a screw-in bulb adapter that could somehow do this - but no amount of searching has found such a thing on Amazon - and if it doesn't exist there, I must not be real :-)

Am I making sense, and/or how have others dealt with this. My current need is the chandelier over the dining room table. has 3 bulbs in it - 40W each. can replace only 2 with LED... if I put in all LED, one of the bulbs never goes off.

Not sure if this is the same thing, but worth considering. Aeotec has a led bypass:

https://aeotec.com/z-wave-low-voltage-dimmer

On the amazon page, there is a review saying they used it with a Linear switch. I'm going to try it with an Insteon switch and a Leviton switch (buy one and just try it to see if it works). $20 is a bit much, but I prefer it than trying to add my own resister in place. Currently for my Leviton I just put 1 normal bulb back in (chandelier has 6 candelabra style bulbs) and the Insteon only blinks when it's not 100% and Insteon allows me to change the dim rate to 0s to solve that. I would rather be able to dim them though.

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
      Not sure if this is the same thing, but worth considering. Aeotec has a led bypass:

https://aeotec.com/z-wave-low-voltage-dimmer

On the amazon page, there is a review saying they used it with a Linear switch. I'm going to try it with an Insteon switch and a Leviton switch (buy one and just try it to see if it works). $20 is a bit much, but I prefer it than trying to add my own resister in place. Currently for my Leviton I just put 1 normal bulb back in (chandelier has 6 candelabra style bulbs) and the Insteon only blinks when it's not 100% and Insteon allows me to change the dim rate to 0s to solve that. I would rather be able to dim them though.
      oh yeah... I remember that thing now. but you have to install in wall. guess not to bad... but I think my socket adapter idea would be super cool. Maybe this is my million dollar idea? :-)

Comment

I remember seeing the resistor trick, especially at the end of LED strip lights or rope lights.

Though, I thought at the time that putting a resistor at the end to intentionally waste energy seemed rather . . . wasteful. Especially since the point of LED bulbs is to save energy.

I'm sure the resistor + LED bulb still uses less power than an incandescent bulb. Surely.

Comment

Working...
        X