second z-net

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

second z-net

I finally got around to installing my second z-net as a totally separate controller. located it at the opposite end of the house.

I see it independently in z-wave control management and I was able to remove two nodes from the original z-net and add them to the new unit(wishing event editing was easier)

It's nice that HS3 makes it appear seamlessly. However, when I go to find.homeseer.com I only see the PC with HS3 and the original z-net. The new one doesn't appear. I can navigate to it typing the ip address but it still doesn't show in find.homeseer.com, not that it has to, because everything appears to be fine. The consistency would be nice, however.

Thoughts?

Never mind, sometimes I think things should be instantaneous...

Comment

So after a delay, you were able to access to it?

Comment

Yes, I went out for a few hours, came back and tried again. It magically appeared.

Not sure how long the delay actually was since I didn't sit here and wait for it to show up.

Perhaps it had to call home to the mothership.

Comment

It does. The Z-Net has to contact a HomeSeer server to provide its IP. This process is not instant, but should happen within a few minutes. Additionally, if the Z-Net is set with a static IP and the gateway is not set it may not be able to call home.
          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

But wait...

Now I have two independent z-nets. Great. However when I click on either one to back up this interface, I get the same file name. Meaning, the Home ID for both interfaces shows as the same in the file name.

Does that mean that backing up one interface really backs up both? What happens with Jon00backup?

And @zwolfpack provided a script to back up the z-net? Do I need to run it twice with different parameters for the other z-net.

I feel like I missed a step in life which the old ladies playing mahjong during the day and coding at night didn't miss.
            Last edited by racerfern; April 3, 2018, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
              But wait...

Now I have two independent z-nets. Great. However when I click on either one to back up this interface, I get the same file name. Meaning, the Home ID for both interfaces shows as the same in the file name.

Does that mean that backing up one interface really backs up both? What happens with Jon00backup?

And @zwolfpack provided a script to back up the z-net? Do I need to run it twice with different parameters for the other z-net.

I feel like I missed a step in life which the old ladies playing during the day and coding at night didn't miss.
              • When you back it up, the name is created when you open the page. If you want the system to assign a new name, you will need to exit the page and go back in for the next interface. You can override the name manually as well.
              • The backup is only for the interface you are launching it from. You must backup each interface.
              • Zwolfpacks latest script will do each interface.
              • Rich change the function of the plug-in several months ago such that it automatically creates a backup each time you include or exclude a node. As a result you will always have a current backup. Backup all interfaces the first time and let the plug-in take care of it from then on.

Comment

When you back it up, the name is created when you open the page. If you want the system to assign a new name, you will need to exit the page and go back in for the next interface. You can override the name manually as well.
                No matter what I do, I only get the ID of the first z-net, in my case:
                ZNet_Network F3B630EB_F3B630EB_2018-04-02_19.12.20.ZWave

I also wonder why the ID pops up twice, it just makes for a longer name.

Comment

I don't know. That is not how mine behaves. The filename is composed of the controller name, the HomeID, the date and the time, separated by underscore characters. Is it possible you have the HomeID as the name of your controller?

If I go into controller management and select my first interface, the filename contains that HomeID. If I go to another interface in the same session first interface, the backup is that name will still have the HomeID of the first interface. If I leave the management page and go back, then try to backup the second interface, the filename will have the second HomeID in the filename. Same for the third interface. It seems the name is established for the session by what ever interface you back up first.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	1196133

Name:	Capture1.PNG
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	1196134

Name:	Capture2.PNG
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	1196135

Comment

I see that your z-nets are type "Ethernet Interface" and mine are type "Homeseer Z-net Ethernet". There is no doubt that both of mine have the ID of the first unit.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I see that your z-nets are type "Ethernet Interface" and mine are type "Homeseer Z-net Ethernet". There is no doubt that both of mine have the ID of the first unit.
                      I don't know why yours behaves differently. The reason I use "Ethernet Interface" is that I prefer to specify an IP address rather than the name. This is better for my use because I can put a fresh SD card in any unit and it will work. There is no need to set a device name and the IP is set by DHCP reservation. Unless I replace the Pi board the MAC address remains the same and the reservation would apply.

Since your network friendly name contains the HomeID, that would explain why the HomeID appears twice in the filename.

Comment

Being about as patient as a gnat, I disabled the Office z-net by clicking the green check mark. Now I can't get it back online. And both z-nets show the same ip address. Strange.
                        Attached Files

Comment

So now I have a non-functioning unit with two devices married to it. Should I delete it from the system and start over? All I have is the spinning wheel as HS3 tries to initialize it. I did shut down and restart HS3 to no avail.

I understand about the double ID in the name, I'll fix that. Thanks.

--EDIT--
                          I got it working. I switched the new z-net to ethernet interface and gave it the correct ip address. Restarted everything and it fired right up. Then I did the same thing to the original z-net. WHEW!
                          Last edited by racerfern; April 4, 2018, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Being about as patient as a gnat, I disabled the Office z-net by clicking the green check mark. Now I can't get it back online. And both z-nets show the same ip address. Strange.
                            That is because you have the same interface name linked to both controllers. You need to disable the first interface by clicking on until it is . Then select the correct interface where I circled. Then it should connect.

Name:	Screen Shot 04-04-18 at 04.34 PM.PNG
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	1196169

Comment

OK, we're all good, not sure how I got into this mess, but I'm up and running.

Each z-net shows the proper id on backup. I did lose the time stamp on the backup name but I think that comes back after a day.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
                              X