egigeozone/Post to server issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

egigeozone/Post to server issue

I am having great trouble getting post to work for PHLocation.

If I try and use MYHS I get an error saying PHLAPI not found, if I use port forwarding direct to my Homeseer server I just get a 404 error even using a local browser or the test in the EGIGEOZONE App. I have tried several different ports, all with identical result.

Originally posted by trevor-austin View Post
    I am having great trouble getting post to work for PHLocation.

If I try and use MYHS I get an error saying PHLAPI not found, if I use port forwarding direct to my Homeseer server I just get a 404 error even using a local browser or the test in the EGIGEOZONE App. I have tried several different ports, all with identical result.
    Lets start with the MyHS method.

1. What version of the plug-in are you running?

2. On a browser that has access to your HS3 machine what happens if you enter the following url ?

http://hsserveraddress/phlapi?dtype=EG

Paul..

Comment

Fixed that error, something missing from the user guide I believe. As I had no users in my PHLOcation settings, the first user I created was a Geofence user, that can't be activated until the first attempt to connect to the server gives you the user id. However the server, either way, does not appear to be active, irrelevant of toggling status, without an active user. If I falsely activated it with a fake ID it all worked perfectly, using either method, then I got the real ID to edit the user with.

Now all I can't do is get the tracking working, nothing getting to the serer yet, although the tracking URL passed the test and tracking appears active from the green button.. And it isn't updating for the geofence user every minute as I've set it, more like every 5, which is the default even though I have changed it to 1.

Comment

You may be correct that the internal http server was not started automatically. It is designed to only start if there is something configured that needs it but I thought I had overridden it so that for a new install it would start automatically. Obviously there is something broken there which I'll take a look at.

Originally posted by trevor-austin View Post
        Now all I can't do is get the tracking working, nothing getting to the serer yet, although the tracking URL passed the test and tracking appears active from the green button.. And it isn't updating for the geofence user every minute as I've set it, more like every 5, which is the default even though I have changed it to 1.
        Not sure I understand the issue here.
        With the exception of running a test, geofence devices are only updated when you enter or exit a defined zone (fence).

If you set debug to level 2 on the plug-in general config page, then hit the glasses button on the Egi app you should see all the data that the plug-in is getting from the app and also any problems that it finds when trying to process said data.

Paul..

Comment

It was the tracking that wasn't working, not the fence. However that worked as soon as I changed to pathsense from Google.

It worked great until 2:44 this morning when it announced I had gone out then came back and reset the alarm and turned all the lights on

Now ever since then I am getting the following error in the logs and no updates get to Homeseer unless I run the test, both tracking and fence update on test.

The error is Error::de.egi.geofence PathsenseGeofenceEventReceiverService.........Do not call events after reboot or at update.

Comment

Now if I switch back to google it appears to trigger both a fence update and a tracking update, so the error appears to be an EGIGEOZONE error, or my phone, although my wifes is doing exactly the same, both stopped updating at 2:44 this morning.

Comment

I'm having maybe a similar issue. both tracking and fence were working great after initial setup last week. I was out of town for a few days, and rebooted my phone which stopped the Egi app (just to help save battery).

Opened Egi yesterday... seems fine... but not updating the fence within the app... so PHLocation thinks same thing.

Logs are fine.. so i think this is an app problem, or just something i'm not doing.

What i am noticing is that when it was working, there was always a notification that tracking was on, and would let me know when went in/out of fences. that notification is not showing up any longer.

EDIT. i just noticed that the interval within the app for my home zone was somehow at 0, so i changed that back to 5. Saw in the Egi help notes that if fences don't update, it has something to do with google or pathsense.

Reset both fences, and suddenly the notifications are showing up, and the fences reported correctly. In the PHLocation PI, it updated my Home location, but also still said i was at work... answering a life long dream of actually being in two places at one time :-).

I reset PHLocation to "not near" for work ... we'll see how it all plays out.
              Last edited by Tomgru; February 9, 2018, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Bizarrely exactly the same sequence I have been through, although this was on 2 phones as well. Mine and my wife's.

Comment

What version of Android are you guys running?

Up until September last year, I had been running Android phones for a good few years whilst the rest of my family were on iOS. I ran a combination of EgiGeoZone (prior to Egi having a tracking option) and Tasker for location stuff and this worked perfectly well until I moved to an Android 6 phone which is when things started to deteriorate.

Most of the issues were related to the Android OS's battery saving stuff and whilst EgiGeoZone underwent a few updates to try and circumvent these issues, I never saw the reliability that existed with Android 5.

I developed a small Android app myself to investigate another issue (which persisted right up to me swapping the phone) which was....
                  I would leave for work and my home fence would correctly detect the exit but another 200 yards down the road (further away from home) it would then detect me entering the home fence. It would then take another few minutes before eventually putting me outside the fence and staying outside.

To explain:
                  What I was doing is using Egi to trigger Tasker to start uploading my actual location at x interval rather than the built in tracking of Egi because it gave me more flexibility. When I entered the home fence, it would signal Tasker to wait 5 minutes, upload current location then pause uploads.

The problem with the false geofence entry/exits was found to be:
                  Google or Pathsense would correctly trigger an exit event in Egi for the home fence which would then start my recurring Tasker event to obtain the current location.
                  I believe this is a feature of Android (or it was in v6). If an app asks for current location and Google Play Services can't get your current location it will return the last known location to the calling app.

In my case geofencing was correctly detecting an exit event, but when Tasker asked for current location it couldn't be obtained and returned the last known location which was home. This would then cause the geofencing side of things to think I was back within the home fence.

So, in September 17 my Android 6 powered phone finally died. After some deliberation I went with an Apple replacement. There are things I like and dislike about both OS's. I'm not advocating Apple here but one thing is for sure in my experience, geofencing is way more reliable on iOS. In 4 months of use I have never seen a false entry / exit with 100 metre geofences.

Paul..

Comment

Interesting.... I'm on a new samsung galaxy 8... so whatever is the most current android. I'm sure my issue had somethi g to do with stopping the service...so well see how well it's worksover next week or so.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a Galaxy S8 (Android 7.0) and an S5, both running EgiGeoZone 2.7.3.

Fencing and tracking have been running solid for me.

Comment

Originally posted by claude View Post
                        I have a Galaxy S8 (Android 7.0) and an S5, both running EgiGeoZone 2.7.3.

Fencing and tracking have been running solid for me.
                        I am having huge issues with a Samsung on Android 7. As the wifi goes to sleep (I have set it to never sleep, but that doesnt work), Egi seems to be very inaccurate, and sometimes seem to stop reporting location or tracking all together. Is there anything you are using to keep egi/wifi awake ? I have set it to not optimise in the settings, but still having these problems

Comment

I finally did some testing on WiFi going to sleep on my S8. And it's true!

The reason this was a non issue for me is that I use 'Smart Network Switch'.

If I'm on the road, or idle for that matter, and WiFi goes to sleep, I can count on cellular to pick up and transport EgiGeoZone messages.

Comment

Originally posted by claude View Post
                            I finally did some testing on WiFi going to sleep on my S8. And it's true!

The reason this was a non issue for me is that I use 'Smart Network Switch'.

If I'm on the road, or idle for that matter, and WiFi goes to sleep, I can count on cellular to pick up and transport EgiGeoZone messages.
                            Is smart network switch an app or built into Android ? I have never seen it on my wifes phone. Not sure it would solve the issue of inaccurate geolocation, but it might help. Certainly worth a try.

Comment

Originally posted by mikee123 View Post
                              Is smart network switch an app or built into Android ? I have never seen it on my wifes phone. Not sure it would solve the issue of inaccurate geolocation, but it might help. Certainly worth a try.
                              On Android 7.0: Settings / Connections / Wi-Fi / Advanced

The option was there also on my previous S4 (but different navigation path to the option which I don't remember)

Comment

Working...
                              X