How to trigger an event with a weather alert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to trigger an event with a weather alert

I have been playing around with the plugin and I can't figure out how to trigger an event based on a new weather warning being issued. I am sure it is in the documentation and I just haven't been able to find it. Thanks for any help.

There is a doc file in the HomeSeer HS3/html/weatherXML directory.
    It's from the HS2 version of the plugin but most of the pages still work close enough until I can finish up the HS3 version docs.

Search for Alerts Setup to setup the downloading of the alerts.
    Follow that down to the Alert Triggers section.

Once you have some triggers setup, you will go to the Schedules page to setup how often the alerts should be checked.
    --
    Jeff Farmer
    HS 3, HSPhone
    My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
    Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Thanks, I was trying to do it through events and you have it all setup in the plugin - even better. One question that varies from the HS2 documentation. In the Alert Title Contains - does it OR or AND the terms? Thanks.

Comment

The terms are setup as AND.

You can do an OR within the textboxes.
        Ex.
        Trigger Keywords: Tornado Warning,Thunderstorm Watch, etc

My goal is to eventually move the triggers to an event so that you can do HS event things before and after the warnings. Like turn on speakers, etc.
        --
        Jeff Farmer
        HS 3, HSPhone
        Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

To clarify - Are you saying you can or can't do an OR? I am currently listing terms with commas in the Alert Title. Is this going to OR the terms or AND them? Thanks.

Comment

An example of the AND logic would be if you put one term in the Alert Title Contains textbox and one term in the Alert Summary Contains. Those would use AND.

Within the textbox where you use a comma to separate the terms they will be ORed.

So for the example you asked about. All the terms in the Alert Title separated by a comma will use OR.

Clear as mud, right?
            --
            Jeff Farmer
            HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

Got it! Thanks.

Comment

Okay, I can admit it, I need help. I have the plugin setup and I have tied it in to NOAA for my local area weather and I was even able to tie the alerts section for local alerts. However, I can not figure out how to get the plugin to identify the word TORNADO in an alert and then turn on a light? I usually would turn on a light using a trigger in the events section, similar to the IFTTT event triggering a light to turn on, but for the life of me I can not figure out how to translate an alert to an event. I read the doc file in the HTML folder and followed the directions, but maybe I am missing something. Please help and thank you in advance.

Comment

The only way to run an event currently would be to set the trigger to run a script and put the hs script command to run an event.

I've added the ability to run an event to my to do list.
                  It will be a while as we have sold our house and will be moving next month. No time until after we get moved to work on the plugin.
                  --
                  Jeff Farmer
                  HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

Working...
                  X