This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recreate devices also unchecks sync responders

Mark, recently you helped me with the custom status text being overwritten when the create devices function is run. I noticed yesterday that many of my devices were not in sync with each other (usually with 3-way switches or a switch that controls an unrelated switch, which I guess is still a 3-way from the Insteon perspective). I checked the properties and none of them had sync linked responders checked any more. I assume this is because the recreate devices test you had me run in the ini, while it kept the status text, reset the sync responders option.

What should be the expectation when we set that in the ini and/or when you run it for some other reason? Should any settings be preserved? Does it makes to have some settings be preserved while others be reset? Does it undermine the point/intention of recreating devices if we have you preserve some settings?

I set custom device names for KPL buttons, have sync responders checked on most 3-ways and any device that is controlled by more than one button/switch, use custom status text in HS for some things (as you know). I'm trying to think of other settings that aren't stored in a device that would be lost upon recreation [that I use]. So I'm wondering if an option to preserve plug-in only settings for a device if devices are recreated makes sense to you or, as I said above, undermines the point of re-creation. But if re-creation is run at your request, for example, to resolve some issue with a single device's FW version and control by the plug-in, losing all of those settings, means going back through one by one to redo them all (and remember what needs to be done).

Does this make sense? Am I totally wrong in thinking how the sync responders got unchecked for all of my devices? Don't take this as a rant or anything; I am just throwing this out there for discussion/feedback from you. And just so I end on a positive note, thanks for all the work you do (likely as a side job/hobby) with the plug-in. I greatly appreciate all that you have done with it over the years and continue to make changes at our request.

Sincerely,

Scott

strange the checkboxes are disappearing. this setting is supposed to be saved in the ini and has nothing to do with the hs device.

i will check it out and report back.
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by sbueffel View Post
      Mark, recently you helped me with the custom status text being overwritten when the create devices function is run. I noticed yesterday that many of my devices were not in sync with each other (usually with 3-way switches or a switch that controls an unrelated switch, which I guess is still a 3-way from the Insteon perspective). I checked the properties and none of them had sync linked responders checked any more. I assume this is because the recreate devices test you had me run in the ini, while it kept the status text, reset the sync responders option.

What should be the expectation when we set that in the ini and/or when you run it for some other reason? Should any settings be preserved? Does it makes to have some settings be preserved while others be reset? Does it undermine the point/intention of recreating devices if we have you preserve some settings?

I set custom device names for KPL buttons, have sync responders checked on most 3-ways and any device that is controlled by more than one button/switch, use custom status text in HS for some things (as you know). I'm trying to think of other settings that aren't stored in a device that would be lost upon recreation [that I use]. So I'm wondering if an option to preserve plug-in only settings for a device if devices are recreated makes sense to you or, as I said above, undermines the point of re-creation. But if re-creation is run at your request, for example, to resolve some issue with a single device's FW version and control by the plug-in, losing all of those settings, means going back through one by one to redo them all (and remember what needs to be done).

Does this make sense? Am I totally wrong in thinking how the sync responders got unchecked for all of my devices? Don't take this as a rant or anything; I am just throwing this out there for discussion/feedback from you. And just so I end on a positive note, thanks for all the work you do (likely as a side job/hobby) with the plug-in. I greatly appreciate all that you have done with it over the years and continue to make changes at our request.

Sincerely,

Scott
      what plugin version are you running? and what hs3 ver
      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
      Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
      Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
      Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

I deleted and added devices yesterday and it happened again. All devices that had it checked now have it unchecked. I am running 3.0.5.35 with HS 3.0.0.205.

Scott

Comment

I deleted and added devices yesterday and it happened again. All devices that had it checked now have it unchecked. I am running 3.0.5.35 with HS 3.0.0.205.

Scott
          when did the "check" disappear? if you actually deleted the device from the plugin then the current setting will be lost when you recreate the device.

if the check is being lost after you create the device and then check the box, then this is a different issue.
          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
            when did the "check" disappear? if you actually deleted the device from the plugin then the current setting will be lost when you recreate the device.

if the check is being lost after you create the device and then check the box, then this is a different issue.
            Sorry, I should have been more clear. I deleted some devices and added some new ones. After that, all pre-existing devices that had the sync responders option checked had it set it to unchecked. (I am guessing around 20 of my 49 or so devices had it checked and none do now.)

Scott

Comment

I just went through all of the ones that should have it checked, and some of them still did have it checked. If my cursory look is correct I think it might have been only newer devices. Ones that I added many months ago might not have been unchecked. I have some switches to add at any time, so if there is some test or setting you want me to enable for additional logging, let me know. I will also check the setting as soon as I add a new device to confirm whether that is the trigger.

Scott

Comment

I just went through all of the ones that should have it checked, and some of them still did have it checked. If my cursory look is correct I think it might have been only newer devices. Ones that I added many months ago might not have been unchecked. I have some switches to add at any time, so if there is some test or setting you want me to enable for additional logging, let me know. I will also check the setting as soon as I add a new device to confirm whether that is the trigger.

Scott
                please keep track of the adds or deletes you perform and see if that affects the checkboxes. I had this problem with another user and i think it turned out to be a cacheing issue on the HD.

you might also try shutting down hs and restarting and see if the checks are retained or lost
                Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

I checked on the check boxes before adding devices and I found one that was unchecked, but I don't know how it happened. Then I added two devices that used to be installed elsewhere (but had been deleted from the plug-in), and after adding each one I checked the status of the boxes. None were unchecked either time. Hmm. Now I don't know if it was a one-off issue, or some other action that results in it. I guess I'll just have to wait and see if it happens again.

Scott

Comment

Working...
                  X