Monitor wifi connections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monitor wifi connections

Can this plugin detect the connection status of my android phone to my lan? ie can I trigger an event when it connects or when it disconnects?

mark

Originally posted by MarkJames View Post
    Can this plugin detect the connection status of my android phone to my lan? ie can I trigger an event when it connects or when it disconnects?

mark
    It works well if you set up an IP reservation in your DHCP server so that the phone is always getting the same IP. Be advised that the phone will connect and disconnect due to power management, so it is not a good indicator for whether you are home or not. The best way to determine if you are home or not is a geo fencing program reporting through PHLocation or IFTTT. I personally really count on PHLocation.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

I tried phlocation but couldn't get the geofence feature working. It was fine with backitude but that had a lot of functionality I didn't need/want.

I then tried tasker with auto locate but I can't send JSON across cellular to my static ip web server. Ive been fighting that for a few days. It works on WiFi but not on cellular data. I can do it with myhs but I'd rather not use a cloud service.

That's why brought me to this. I can assign my phone a static IP so that's not an issue. I just need it to be responsive enough to be useful.

Thanks,

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by MarkJames View Post
        I tried phlocation but couldn't get the geofence feature working. It was fine with backitude but that had a lot of functionality I didn't need/want.

I then tried tasker with auto locate but I can't send JSON across cellular to my static ip web server. Ive been fighting that for a few days. It works on WiFi but not on cellular data. I can do it with myhs but I'd rather not use a cloud service.

That's why brought me to this. I can assign my phone a static IP so that's not an issue. I just need it to be responsive enough to be useful.

Thanks,

Mark
        If you can find a way to keep the WiFi on your phone alive, this plug-in will report whether or not an IP address is online. You can use that to trigger occupancy based events. It will report offline within a minute or two and will report online more quickly.
        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

That sounds fine.

There are lots of wifi keep alive apps in the Android market

Thanks!,

Mark

Comment

Working...
          X