Moving from Linux Back to Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving from Linux Back to Windows

Can I move a Linux-based installation of HS3 back to Windows by just copying the contents of the HomeSeer directory to the equivalent places on a new Windows box?

Best advice I can give you is to try.

1 - install Homeseer 3 new on your Windows box
    2 - back up the Windows Homeseer 3 directory
    3 - copy the files over from the Linux box - use WinSCP running on your new Windows box
    4 - also try an import of the configuration files.

I have seen a few users switch from Windows to Linux this way but not yet from Linux to Windows.

Curious why you are doing this?
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
      Best advice I can give you is to try.

1 - install Homeseer 3 new on your Windows box
      2 - back up the Windows Homeseer 3 directory
      3 - copy the files over from the Linux box - use WinSCP running on your new Windows box
      4 - also try an import of the configuration files.
      Thanks. I'll give this a try.

Originally posted by Pete View Post
      Curious why you are doing this?
      I just can't handle all of the memory/CPU load issues going on with HS3 Linux on my little RPI any more. Well, more specifically, my wife can't handle the unreliability of the system these days and since I only gained acceptance of our HA system a couple of years ago after like 10 years of fiddling, I'm not willing to put up with anything that pisses her off. :-)

Comment

It's actually a bit easier than copying and pasting files from one system to another, you can connect to your Linux system, navigate to Tools > Setup, and use the Backup Config button which will save a .zip file to your computer with all the data you need. Once you set up your Windows installation, you can go back to the same page, click Restore Config, and it will ask you to find the zip file previously created. Then you'll be all set!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkHargrove View Post
          I just can't handle all of the memory/CPU load issues going on with HS3 Linux on my little RPI any more. Well, more specifically, my wife can't handle the unreliability of the system these days and since I only gained acceptance of our HA system a couple of years ago after like 10 years of fiddling, I'm not willing to put up with anything that pisses her off. :-)
          Which version of Mono are you running on your Pi now? I know you can't go from Windows to Mono less than Vers 4, not sure of the reverse, but I would suspect Mono Vers 3 to windows would be problematic...

Z

Comment

What type of instability issues are you having? Which RPI are you using and how many plugins? I personally found that moving HS3 from a virtual Windows system (Win 7, Win8, Win10, Server 2012, tried them all) to Linux on a virtual machine resulted in the most stable HS platform I've ever had. Perhaps a more robust hardware platform would be better than moving back to Windows. That is unless of course you need plugins that don't work under Linux. My suggestion is to try moving your current Linux system to either a physical or virtual machine with a little more horsepower and see how it goes.
            HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
            Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
            Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
            Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

As stated above if you need to move back to Windows for compatability reasons the move is totally understandable. Personally having seen both in action I'd much prefer the Linux solution. Running on a Raspberry Pi 3 with Raspbian Stretch Lite and Mono 5.2 my installation is running solid as a rock. Again that's just a personal experience but I think others may share it.

Comment

I can certainly understand your frustration. I have been having problems on my RPI since some time early this year. Part of the time HS3 ramps up to 100% CPU which makes HS3 mostly useless, it eventually recovers, sometimes an hour or more later. That happened last night and today. The other problem is gradual memory creep up to over 1GB for the HS3 task, and it eventually runs out of memory. I'm trying to isolate it to certain plugins, but that is taking a long time and right now I have about half of my plugins disabled.

But my plan, if I can't get this sorted out, is to move to a bigger Linux system. That will likely be a dedicated box, but it could very well be a virtual on a Windows system.

Comment

No Linux Problem Here?

Using IFTTT and Alexa Voice Control. Love it! Hope you figure it out.

Current Date/Time: 10/27/2017 7:26:56 AM
                  HomeSeer Version: HS3 ZEE S2 Edition 3.0.0.368
                  Linux version: Linux HomeTrollerZeeS2 3.18.7-v7+ #755 SMP PREEMPT Thu Feb 12 17:20:48 GMT 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux System Uptime: 1 Day 15 Hours 3 Minutes 37 Seconds
                  IP Address: 192.168.1.112
                  Number of Devices: 175
                  Number of Events: 85
                  Available Threads: 399

Enabled Plug-Ins
                  3.0.1.152: Z-Wave

Comment

Originally posted by concordseer View Post
                    As stated above if you need to move back to Windows for compatability reasons the move is totally understandable. Personally having seen both in action I'd much prefer the Linux solution. Running on a Raspberry Pi 3 with Raspbian Stretch Lite and Mono 5.2 my installation is running solid as a rock. Again that's just a personal experience but I think others may share it.
                    My setup, identical to yours, was rock-solid for a couple of years until I recently moved from release 297 to the post-318 series. Life has been hell since then. :-)

-M.

Comment

Originally posted by vasrc View Post
                      Which version of Mono are you running on your Pi now? I know you can't go from Windows to Mono less than Vers 4, not sure of the reverse, but I would suspect Mono Vers 3 to windows would be problematic...

Z
                      Mono 5.2.0.215

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
                        It's actually a bit easier than copying and pasting files from one system to another, you can connect to your Linux system, navigate to Tools > Setup, and use the Backup Config button which will save a .zip file to your computer with all the data you need. Once you set up your Windows installation, you can go back to the same page, click Restore Config, and it will ask you to find the zip file previously created. Then you'll be all set!
                        This is extremely handy to know -- thanks!

UPDATE:

Except this doesn't actually work. I did a backup on my 'old' RPI3 linux box, saved the zip file to my desktop, shutdown HS3, powered off the RPI3, spun up a VM (Ubuntu Server 16.04) installed HS3 v379 Linux (which has a large number of missing HTML assets, btw) then did a 'restore' of the backup. It fails with the following log messages:

Code:
                        11:02:50:6716:[Error]->Cannot find the locations file in the config folder "locations.csv", locations will not be available in setup.
                        11:03:09:9423:[Error]->Processing upload file from web page: Could not find a part of the path "/usr/local/homeseer/temp/tempfile2".->  at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, System.IO.FileMode mode, System.IO.FileAccess access, System.IO.FileShare share, System.Int32 bufferSize, System.Boolean anonymous, System.IO.FileOptions options) [0x00164] in <9790d962aaad40deb63d33029ba0d2f6>:0
                          at System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, System.IO.FileMode mode, System.IO.FileAccess access, System.IO.FileShare share, System.Int32 bufferSize) [0x00000] in <9790d962aaad40deb63d33029ba0d2f6>:0
                          at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.FileStream:.ctor (string,System.IO.FileMode,System.IO.FileAccess,System.IO.FileShare,int)
                          at System.IO.File.Create (System.String path, System.Int32 bufferSize) [0x00000] in <9790d962aaad40deb63d33029ba0d2f6>:0
                          at System.IO.File.Create (System.String path) [0x00000] in <9790d962aaad40deb63d33029ba0d2f6>:0
                          at System.IO.File.WriteAllBytes (System.String path, System.Byte[] bytes) [0x00000] in <9790d962aaad40deb63d33029ba0d2f6>:0
                          at Scheduler.Web_Server.ServerPost (Scheduler.StateObject& state, System.String& data, System.String& post, System.Boolean& authorized) [0x0038e] in <b2524950f59e4074bc50e0aee70e0bdd>:0
                        11:03:11:3596:[Error]->Copying restore file to its destination: Value cannot be null.
                        Parameter name: sourceFileName
                        So -- back to manually copying files. :-)
                        Last edited by MarkHargrove; October 27, 2017, 12:10 PM.

Comment

My setup, identical to yours, was rock-solid for a couple of years until I recently moved from release 297 to the post-318 series. Life has been hell since then. :-)

-M.
                          I am on an RPi3 for about 18 months and always have had to reboot every 7 - 10 days because of memory issues. Doesn't mater what version of HS3 I've been using.

I am building a Pine64 that has 2 GB RAM. If it works out better, I will buy a Pine64 4 GB RAM model.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by AutomatedJim View Post
                            I am on an RPi3 for about 18 months and always have had to reboot every 7 - 10 days because of memory issues. Doesn't mater what version of HS3 I've been using.

I am building a Pine64 that has 2 GB RAM. If it works out better, I will buy a Pine64 4 GB RAM model.

Jim
                            I have a 4GB Pine64 on order already -- it looks too good not to have one to play with at least! :-)

-M.

Comment

I'm running now on a 4GB/1 CPU/4-core VM under Ubuntu Server 16.04. Took a little more work that I remembered to get a Linux box configured correctly to run HS3, but I got all of that sorted out. I've got my monitor script running as well, so I'll have some decent stats to share in 24 hours or so.

-M.

Comment

Working...
                              X