Recurring M1G Restart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recurring M1G Restart

I am seeing a recurring problem with an uncommanded reboot of M1G within seconds after a wireless PIR sensor reports. What I cannot determine is whether the UltraM1G plugin is causing the restart or simply showing the impact of the restart.

Below is an example of what happens:

Mar-11 7:09:21 AM Warning Installer program mode exited.
    Mar-11 7:09:09 AM Warning No response/improper response from Elk M1 to command 'az00'
    Mar-11 7:09:08 AM 1 Error System.FormatException: Could not find any recognizable digits. at System.ParseNumbers.StringToInt(String s, Int32 radix, Int32 flags, Int32* currPos) at System.Convert.ToInt32(String value, Int32 fromBase) at HSPI_ULTRAM1G3.hspi_plugin.ProcessReceived(String strDataRec)
    Mar-11 7:09:08 AM 1 Error System.FormatException
    Mar-11 7:09:08 AM Warning No response/improper response from Elk M1 to command 'az00'
    Mar-11 7:09:06 AM Warning No response/improper response from Elk M1 to command 'az00'

Mar-11 7:09:05 AM ECHO Echo for UltraM1G3 Plugin Zone 071 [Home Theater PIR], No Echo (3 mins, 5 secs)
    Mar-11 7:09:05 AM Informational Zone 071 [Home Theater PIR] is Violated
    Mar-11 7:09:02 AM ECHO Echo for HT Room Motion Sensor- HT, No Echo (8 mins, 59 secs)
    Mar-11 7:09:02 AM Z-Wave Device: Motion HT Room Motion Sensor- HT Set to NOTIFICATION for type Home Security, Event: Motion

The time shown in the M1G log do not show seconds, so I cannot figure out which is cause and which is effect. As I looked back comparing my M1G log vs HS3 logs, I seen this repeated scenario happening approximately once per week.

Any advice on figuring out cause vs effect is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Vector

There is no programmatic way for the Elk to be rebooted by software. Shutdown the plugin for a while and I am betting that the Elk still reboots as it is likely to be non,related to Ultra's plugin. But, I could be wrong...
    HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Originally posted by Vector View Post
      I am seeing a recurring problem with an uncommanded reboot of M1G within seconds after a wireless PIR sensor reports. What I cannot determine is whether the UltraM1G plugin is causing the restart or simply showing the impact of the restart.

Below is an example of what happens:

Mar-11 7:09:09 AM Warning No response/improper response from Elk M1 to command 'az00'
      Mar-11 7:09:08 AM 1 Error System.FormatException: Could not find any recognizable digits. at System.ParseNumbers.StringToInt(String s, Int32 radix, Int32 flags, Int32* currPos) at System.Convert.ToInt32(String value, Int32 fromBase) at HSPI_ULTRAM1G3.hspi_plugin.ProcessReceived(String strDataRec)
      Mar-11 7:09:08 AM 1 Error System.FormatException
      Mar-11 7:09:08 AM Warning No response/improper response from Elk M1 to command 'az00'
      Mar-11 7:09:06 AM Warning No response/improper response from Elk M1 to command 'az00'

Mar-11 7:09:05 AM ECHO Echo for UltraM1G3 Plugin Zone 071 [Home Theater PIR], No Echo (3 mins, 5 secs)
      Mar-11 7:09:05 AM Informational Zone 071 [Home Theater PIR] is Violated
      Mar-11 7:09:02 AM ECHO Echo for HT Room Motion Sensor- HT, No Echo (8 mins, 59 secs)
      Mar-11 7:09:02 AM Z-Wave Device: Motion HT Room Motion Sensor- HT Set to NOTIFICATION for type Home Security, Event: Motion

The time shown in the M1G log do not show seconds, so I cannot figure out which is cause and which is effect. As I looked back comparing my M1G log vs HS3 logs, I seen this repeated scenario happening approximately once per week.

Any advice on figuring out cause vs effect is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
      Vector
      Hello Vector,

Here is the line in the log that concerns me:

When program mode is entered, the Elk M1XEP disconnects all connected devices including the UltraM1G3 HSPI. Are you entering programming mode via the keypad or the ElkRP software?

Regards,
      Ultrajones
      Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Ultra,

I wasn't in program mode using either keypad OR ElkRP. I was minding my own business sitting on the couch watching TV

Krumpy, I may ultimately have to do that as part of the troubleshooting process, but I use the plugin extensively. I don't do any programming in the M1G, I use events in HS3 to fill pool when low, fill dog bowl, motion trigger lights, etc. using UltraM1G controlled input & output zones.

Regards,
        Vector

Comment

If it is indeed rebooting (the Elk that is) then you might also want to figure out how much current you're drawing. You might be close or over the maximum which causes it to reset.

So, maybe also lets figure out and define how you're determining that the Elk panel is rebooting.

The only reason I am chiming in here is because I know for a fact that I am close on the panels maximum capacity to handle devices in terms of power draw. But I do not have problems. Periodically the panel does odd things like reboot but it is not much of a problem.

I wrote a program that will not capture all of the commands coming from the panel for logging. Of course, it has not happened since...

How do you interface to the panel? Serial or via the Ethernet module?
          HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Krumpy,

It is definitely restarting. Below I show the log from the M1G. You can see that I set alarm (Stay) at 11:50pm Friday. At midnight it performed the dialer test. Then nothing else until the 1367 restart at 7:09 am, which corresponds to my HS3 log in the original post. Then as the wireless zones started reporting in, it finally got to the Laundry Room (Zone 51) door which was originally bypassed. But since it restatrted, M1G didnt remember that it was bypassesd and so when it reported in as violated, M1G interpreted that as a new violation. If I had not bypassed any zones originally, I think the M1G would have recovered on its own with no one the wiser.

Regarding the current, are you talking about the current shown in Setup code 86? If so, mine is showing about 0.48 to 0.5 amps. This is well under the 1 amp for non Class 2 use (as I recall).

Once I saw this correspondence in the Elk and HS3 log, I went back and found multiple instances of this same thing happening, always within a couple of seconds of a wireless zone reporting. But agai, I cant tell from the logs which is cause and which is effect.

I interface via ethernet.

I didnt quite understand your comment about a program that "will not" capture commands from Elk. I assume you meant "Will capture"? Is this more detailed than what the UltraM1G logging shows?

Sat 3/11/2017 7:24 1 1174 = AREA DISARMED (User 2)
            Sat 3/11/2017 7:24 1 1300 = EXCEPTION OPENING (User 2)
            Sat 3/11/2017 7:24 1 1146 = RESTORE BURGLAR ZONE Laundry Rm Metal (Zn 51)
            Sat 3/11/2017 7:24 1 1003 = BURGLAR ALARM ANY AREA Laundry Rm Metal (Zn 51)
            Sat 3/11/2017 7:22 1 1144 = RESTORE FIRE ZONE Master BR Smoke (Zn 83)
            Sat 3/11/2017 7:17 1 1144 = RESTORE FIRE ZONE Garage Smoke (Zn 88)
            Sat 3/11/2017 7:16 1 1144 = RESTORE FIRE ZONE Sewing Rm Smoke (Zn 90)
            Sat 3/11/2017 7:09 1 1144 = RESTORE FIRE ZONE Hallway Smoke (Zn 97)
            Sat 3/11/2017 7:09 1 1144 = RESTORE FIRE ZONE Upstairs BR Smk (Zn 93)
            Sat 3/11/2017 7:09 1 1144 = RESTORE FIRE ZONE LR/DR Smoke (Zn 82)
            Sat 3/11/2017 7:09 1 1144 = RESTORE FIRE ZONE Server Cab Smoke (Zn 94)
            Sat 3/11/2017 7:09 1367 = SYSTEM START UP Control
            Sat 3/11/2017 0:00 1 1353 = DIALER AUTO TEST
            Fri 3/10/2017 22:50 1 1173 = AREA ARMED No Code (User 203)

Thanks for your time in helping me.

Regards,
            Vector

Comment

Ok, if I recall .5 amps is definitely within tolerable limits. I am upwards of 1 amp.

If I was you then I would start process of elimination. That is if the current situation appears to be recreatable. If you understand what I mean.

Comment

Thanks Krumpy,

I did discover one thing today as I was trying to check for anything else wrong (loose wires, incorrect addresses, voltages, etc.). I realized that I had one jumper on the Elk Data Bus Hub (M1DBHR) in the wrong spot. I had one on JP3 that should have been on JP2. I have corrected that and rebooted & re-enrolled to be safe.

It has been misconfigured for months, so I don't know whether that would cause occasional rebooting. At any rate I found that problem and corrected it, so now I will wait to see if the uncommanded reboot returns.

Fingers crossed.

Regards,
                Vector

Comment

Deleted accidental duplicate post
                  Last edited by Vector; March 15, 2017, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Yeah, frequent errors could potentially cause problems. Via the keypad there is a diagnostics area and you can get a report of the errors on the data bus. Don't know much about it but could research it further for you with Elk as i have a dealer account on their support site.

I will tell you that I have some as well and this sort of a thing could push be to do more research..

Comment

Well, It has been two weeks with no restart. I don't want to jinx it but hoping the identified M1DBHR jumper issue was the problem.

I will report back if it turns out that didn't solve the problem long term.

Thanks for the help Krumpy and Ultra!

Regards,
                      Vector

Comment

Working...
                      X