Creating an event using multiple door sensors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DancingPaul View Post
    I would really think there would be a better/easier more efficient way to do this. Hopefully someone will come up with one. I dread the day if I have 10 or more sensors doing something across the whole house and had to write something in this manner.

I know easy trigger has groups but I have yet to play with them.

There's still one edge case and that's if someone turns the heat off while one of the doors are open - but i think that can be solved by checking if the heat mode changes AND door any virtual device = open, than set the heater virtual device to the new mode.
    Actually, the heat should always be off if a door is open. The edge case would be if someone turns it on while door(s) are open, but then it would just revert to where it was before the first door opens.

Easy Trigger groups are a breeze with 2 or 20 devices. I used it in the second pair of events in post #2 above.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

[QUOTE=rprade;1356045]Actually, the heat should always be off if a door is open. The edge case would be if someone turns it on while door(s) are open, but then it would just revert to where it was before the first door opens.

Good Point....

Comment

I only see name, location 1, 2, or type as a grouping? am I missing something? How would I add , lets say, all of my door sensors to a group?

Comment

I only see name, location 1, 2, or type as a grouping? am I missing something? How would I add , lets say, all of my door sensors to a group?
          I'm following this intently. I'm trying to simplify the possibility of any or all of three doors being left open and the heat or A/C is cranking away.

I have the Honeywell app as well as EasyTrigger and right now some complicated events. I put three doors into an ET group but like DancingPaul I only see some stuff that doesn't make sense.

Comment

Go to the Config page for Easy Trigger. Schedules are at the top and groups are at the bottom. You can build a group of any number of disparate devices. The only area of caution is that they should use common values - you wouldn't want to mix devices that use 0 for Off and 1 for On with devices that use 0 for Off and 100 for On.

Once you build the group, you can use it in Triggers, Conditions and/or Actions..

Comment

I see! The key is "in" not "whose" for our needs.

I see that I will not live long enough to realize all the possible options.

So for me, closed = 0 and open = 255. So if any door in the group becomes 255...
              Last edited by racerfern; March 15, 2018, 06:50 PM.

Comment

I am having a hard time with virtual devices so I am wondering if someone could point out why this wouldn't work for the 3 doors.

Event 1
                If door A changes and becomes open
                Or If door B changes and becomes open
                Or If door C changes and becomes open
                Then set 'heater state virtual device' to current thermostat mode
                Then set thermostat to Off

Event 2
                If door A changes and becomes closed
                And If door B changes and becomes closed
                And If door C changes and becomes closed
                Then set thermostat mode to 'heater state virtual device'
                Then set thermostat to On (not sure this is needed)

Thanks for helping.

Comment

Originally posted by cowinger View Post
                  I am having a hard time with virtual devices so I am wondering if someone could point out why this wouldn't work for the 3 doors.

Event 1

Event 2
                  If door A changes and becomes closed
                  And If door B changes and becomes closed
                  And If door C changes and becomes closed
                  Then set thermostat mode to 'heater state virtual device'
                  Then set thermostat to On (not sure this is needed)

Thanks for helping.
                  In your second Event you use a Condition that doesn't exist. You cannot have "And If door B changes and becomes closed", it is "And If door B has a value equal to closed". The problem with that Event is that it will only Trigger on door A. What you really need for the second event is what I posted in post #2 above

It will trigger on any of the three doors, but will only run if the other two are closed. Instead of turning the heat on, use an action to set it to the virtual device.

Comment

Originally posted by cowinger View Post

Event 1
                    There's also a potential problem with this event. If all doors are closed and one is opened, then it will save the heater state and turn the heater off, as desired.
                    However, if a second door is opened while the first door is open, the 'off' heater state will then be saved to the virtual device, overwriting the intended value.
                    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                      There's also a potential problem with this event. If all doors are closed and one is opened, then it will save the heater state and turn the heater off, as desired.
                      However, if a second door is opened while the first door is open, the 'off' heater state will then be saved to the virtual device, overwriting the intended value.
                      Yes, I forgot that. We discussed it earlier in the thread and I suggested in post #7
                      Beyond that you will need logic to only set the virtual heating device when the first door opens. The easiest way would be to add conditions to the Off event triggers to check that the other two doors are closed when one opens.

Comment

Ok, I think I see event 1's problem. By removing the virtual device line it basically says if any door opens turn off the heat. But leaving it in would allow any door to set it to off. Yes?

The second event you are alternating between the doors so that you cover all scenarios. This says if any door closes and the others are already closed then turn it on. Yes?

Now, where does the virtual device come in? You said "Instead of turning the heat on, use an action to set it to the virtual device"

That's where I can't seem to get it.

Thanks Mike for your help. I see what you were saying also.

Comment

my config page for easy trigger only has schedules
                          Attached Files

Comment

my config page for easy trigger only has schedules
                            What version are you on? Mine is 3.0.0.44

Comment

Working...
                            X