Z-NET Shutdown Command

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-NET Shutdown Command

How do you shutdown (power off) a Z-NET?

Regards,
    Ultrajones
    Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Originally posted by Ultrajones View Post
    How do you shutdown (power off) a Z-NET?

Regards,
    Ultrajones
    If you have the password you can SSH in and give it "shutdown -h".

Originally the user was "HomeSeer" and the password was "hsthsths3". That is the only password they have published. After the initial production, there has been new passwords.

If you just want to reboot all you need to do is browse to the webpage and click "Submit" without changing anything.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Why not just pull the plug? Or are you looking for a programmatic solution?

Comment

I was wondering the same. Why/what are you actually shutting down?
        HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

The Z-NET runs Linux. It's always a good idea to gracefully shutdown a Linux box before removing power. I was just trying to determine if there was a way to issue a power off command.
          Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Originally posted by Ultrajones View Post
            The Z-NET runs Linux. It's always a good idea to gracefully shutdown a Linux box before removing power. I was just trying to determine if there was a way to issue a power off command.
            Randy;

I sent you an email. Did you get it?

SSH is the easiest way to give it the command.

My brother also wrote a Python script that can run a command when a GPIO pin is pulled low. I use it to restart the Z-Net, but it also could be used to shut it down. If anyone would like the script I can post it.
            HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Proper way to shutdown the Z-Net before powering off

Long story short: I needed to relocate my Z-Net, which is a Raspberry Pi in disguise. Z-Net runs Raspbian Linux under the covers. Like all linux machines, there is a risk of disk / SD card corruption if you remove power from them. They like to be properly shutdown.

Problem:
              • There is no shutdown button, physical or logical, on the Z-Net. See screenshot #1 attached.

Solution:
              • You need to us SSH (Putty on Windows, ssh on Mac or Linux) into the console of the Z-Net and issue a shutdown command.

Details:
              My Z-Net (Z-NET V2 Configuration- Version 1.0.23) has the default "pi" account active with the default "raspberry" password. How convenient!

This is what I did on my Mac in Terminal to shutdown the Z-Net (IP address has been changed to protect the guilty):
              $ ssh pi@192.168.70.90
              pi@192.168.70.90's password: <type in "raspberry" here>

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
              the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
              individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
              permitted by applicable law.

$ sudo /bin/bash
              [sudo] password for pi: <type in "raspberry" here>
              root@Z-Net:/home/pi# shutdown -h now

<Wait for about 60 seconds - and pull the power cable out of the Z-Net unit to power it down>

And thats it.

----------

Leaving the "pi" account active with the default password is VERY poor security practice. I would highly recommend changing it and documenting the new password in a tool like LastPass.
              $ ssh pi@192.168.70.90

pi@Z-Net:~ $ passwd
              Changing password for pi.
              (current) UNIX password: <type in "raspberry" here>
              Enter new UNIX password: <type in your new password here - don't forget to document it somewhere!>
              Retype new UNIX password: <type in your new password here again to make sure you didn't fumblefinger it>
              passwd: password updated successfully
              Attached Files

Comment

Leaving the "pi" account active with the default password is VERY poor security practice. I would highly recommend changing it and documenting the new password in a tool like LastPass.
                $ ssh pi@192.168.70.90

pi@Z-Net:~ $ passwd
                Changing password for pi.
                (current) UNIX password: <type in "raspberry" here>
                Enter new UNIX password: <type in your new password here - don't forget to document it somewhere!>
                Retype new UNIX password: <type in your new password here again to make sure you didn't fumblefinger it>
                passwd: password updated successfully
                Wow. I was able to log in as pi on both of my Z-Net devices! Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. Hopefully the folks at HomeSeer see this post and are able to issue an update to resolve.

Regards,
                Ultrajones

Comment

Well, the "pi" account should have been disabled, we will fix that.

I just pull the plug when I want to power it off. The Z-Net is set so most writes go to a RAM disk so there is little fear of damaging anything when pulling the plug.

As far as anyone logging in, they would have to be on your network (your network is secure right?) And even if they got in, they could not access anything but Linux.
                  💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Working...
                  X