Email stopped working - bad certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Email stopped working - bad certificate

I've been running HS3 for a couple of months now and the email function was working fine in my events. I use a local mail server with a self-signed certificate.

As of last week or so it stopped emailing apparently due to my self-signed cert, logged message was:

"The remote certificate is invalid according to the validation procedure."

Is there anyway I can get HS3 to accept (or ignore) the certificate check?

What OS are you using.

Comment

Windows 10

Comment

Originally posted by oregonbob View Post
        Windows 10
        In Tools-Setup-Email tick Gmail and leave Receiving blank and SSL blank. Fill in the other necessary details. That should fire off HS email notifications.Set up a Gmail account solely for receiving HS emails purely for security reasons.

I wouldn't personally use self signing certs. Too much effort maintaining them.

Comment

Since first post I manged to import the certificate into Trusted Root of the Windows 10 machine, so Windows now recognizes the cert, but HS3 seems to not as more complete error message is:

"Exception sending email via mail.mydomain.com (To:me@otherdomain.com, cc:, bcc:, Sub:Homeseer Server Front message, Attach = The remote certificate is invalid according to the validation procedure."
          (I edited to substitute "mydomain.com" for the real one.)

What is so strange is that this has been working just fine for last 2 months and it suddenly quit even though no changes were made to HS3. So doesn't that mean that programmers changed something, as in an update?

What are your "security reasons" for setting up a separate recipient? I don't want to have to add an account to all devices.

Comment

Originally posted by oregonbob View Post
            Since first post I manged to import the certificate into Trusted Root of the Windows 10 machine, so Windows now recognizes the cert, but HS3 seems to not as more complete error message is:

"Exception sending email via mail.mydomain.com (To:me@otherdomain.com, cc:, bcc:, Sub:Homeseer Server Front message, Attach = The remote certificate is invalid according to the validation procedure."
            (I edited to substitute "mydomain.com" for the real one.)

What is so strange is that this has been working just fine for last 2 months and it suddenly quit even though no changes were made to HS3. So doesn't that mean that programmers changed something, as in an update?

What are your "security reasons" for setting up a separate recipient? I don't want to have to add an account to all devices.
            Its just easier using a gmail account for HS notifications and not a problem if someone did hack it. It's entirely up to you. It's how I do it and have not experienced any problems to date.

Comment

Working...
            X