IFTTT for Motorized Blinds ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IFTTT for Motorized Blinds ?

For a new home build we are looking to install some HunterDouglas motorized blinds.

From reading their website it appears that they offer an IFTTT Channel for their automated blinds. They also offer several home control plugins but none seem to be related to HomeSeer. So I think we will need to leverage IFTTT.

Is there any way to use IFTTT without a live internet connection? I was hoping it would be something you can set up via the IFTTT site and then be isolated but it sounds like HS would have to send any commands out to the internet to the IFTTT servers, then those turn around and send the command back to my house where the controller at the blind picks it up and executes on it.

Personally this seems pretty stupid way to just motorize some blinds. We are not going to have a great internet connection where we are moving to and am actively working to be sure I have no runtime dependencies to the outside world for any of my HS and security configuration. I have never looked at IFTTT until this past week when I was looking at blind controls so I'm trying to catch up here.

advTHANKSance!
    -Lawrence

You can build a wired or wireless mosquito automation network which only talks on your home LAN using arduinos. Google the Homeseer forum for more information.

That said I would wire LV 16/2 to the automated blind locations anywhoot.

Here is a post relating to using HunterDouglas Powerview shades from a HS user on the AVS forum.

Hunter Douglas PowerView shades & blinds

User: wkearney99
    Date: 08-13-2015

I've got 15 of the new PowerView shades, in four rooms. It's a newly built house (no old materials or RF-blocking lead paint). It's 3 stories, including basement, with a mostly open floorplan.

The mesh RF setup is uneven, at best. But then I'm only a few days into owning them. I expected a bit of rearranging was going to be necessary. The hub (their RF-to-ethernet bridge) had to be moved up to the Master Bedroom (along with a Tivo, wired Chromecast, Amazon FireTV and other gear). I've got their repeaters in the other rooms. The repeaters are positioned such that they're in-between the shades for that room and the hub. As in, upstairs shades -> hub -> repeater -> 1st floor shades.

The initial experience is, to be kind, uneven. If I use the PowerView remote (the pebble) to manually join the shades to it that seemed to work. But in the master bedroom one of them has decided not to answer to the remote. Likewise, two of the five in the living room don't seem to want to respond consistently.

The app on iOS is not great. For one, it has NO SECURITY AT ALL. Nor does it have a non-editing mode. Right, so anyone with access to my WiFi network has the ability to do ANYTHING to the setup of the hub! Who the Hell thought this was a good idea? Ok, so that's BAD. But to make things worse, there's no read-only mode. So I can't put the app on anything accessible to anyone else in the house. At least not without risking someone accidentally making unintended changes to the configuration.

There's also no technical information accessible for troubleshooting. No way to tell the strength a given device has to the RF network. So placement of the hubs and repeaters is pretty much blind hit-and-miss guesswork.
    Last edited by Pete; January 8, 2017, 12:49 PM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
      You can build a wired or wireless mosquito automation network which only talks on your home LAN using arduinos. Google the Homeseer forum for more information.

That said I would wire LV 16/2 to the automated blind locations anywhoot.
      I'm somewhat familiar with mosquito as a message broker (IBM's MQ product is one I've been working with professionally for 10+ years). From the forum post you linked and your note it sounds like an interesting option but I haven't looked at all at that kind of model yet. I'll look for some related posts as you suggest and likely reach out further there.

Is the wire run you're suggesting in addition to the hardwire'd power we'll be installing at those locations and intended for future communication/control? Should they be all run individually to the central electronics room or would they be grouped by room (for example) to a potential Arduino location and that location provided with power and network?

-Lawrence

Comment

Is the wire run you're suggesting in addition to the hardwire'd power we'll be installing at those locations

No. Low Voltage 16 or 18 / 2 would probably suffice unless you want to go with battery operated motors.

Looks like you can also utilize RS-232 with PowerView if you wanted to.

Should they be all run individually to the central electronics room or would they be grouped by room (for example) to a potential Arduino location and that location provided with power and network?

Personally I built a central wiring location in the home and a separate server location.

Relating to LV did a MeanWell LV power DIN mount configuration in the centralized wiring location.
        Last edited by Pete; January 8, 2017, 11:32 PM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
        X