Using Google Home with HomeSeer using IFTTT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Google Home with HomeSeer using IFTTT

You can access HomeSeer using your voice and the Google Home device through IFTTT!

Note that direct access to Google Home is coming soon!

Here are the instructions to create a recipe that will control HomeSeer using your voice with Google Home and IFTTT.

1) Log into IFTTT and add the Google Assistant channel. Log into the Google account that your Google Home is attached to. This insures that voice commands from Google Home are received on the channel.

2) If you don't have a HomeSeer channel, create one and log in using your MyHS credentials that are assigned to the HomeSeer system you want to control.

3) Create a new recipe and set the "IF" to Google Assistant and select the trigger "Say a phrase with a text ingredient". For the text, enter:

"tell homeseer to $"

You can enter any text that you want here, the "$" part is the part that will be sent to HomeSeer. So if you said:

"tell homeseer to turn on the table lamp"

only "turn on the table lamp" will be sent to HomeSeer, which is what we want.

4) Set the action to the HomeSeer channel and select the action:

"Send a text command to HomeSeer"

You will see a texbox with "Google/" entered, remove that and enter:

{{TextField}}

(you can select the +Ingredient button to enter this text.)

5) Save the recipe

If you have a device named "Table Lamp" you can now say:

"ok, google, tell homeseer to turn on the table lamp"

You can use any voice command that HomeSeer supports, that is any command that you would say using Alexa and the "tell homeseer" skill, or any command that you would say using HSTouch.
    Last edited by rjh; January 11, 2017, 08:47 PM.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Thanks, Rich. I tried it and it is working for me. Look forward to the direct interface. Will that include thermostat control or just lights?
    - Tom

HSPro/Insteon
    Web Site
    YouTube Channel

Comment

It will support all your devices.

Originally posted by tpchristian View Post
      Thanks, Rich. I tried it and it is working for me. Look forward to the direct interface. Will that include thermostat control or just lights?
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
        It will support all your devices.
        Will this work without saying "tell homeseer"? Will it work with the smart home api , Alexa turn on light?

Is there a way to have google give a voice response to an event instead of through the desktop?

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
          Note that direct access to Google Home is coming soon!
          This is great! Thank you, voice commands are getting more interesting.

Here's hoping Cortana will be next.
          HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
          Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
          on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
          WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Originally posted by scg View Post
            Will this work without saying "tell homeseer"? Will it work with the smart home api , Alexa turn on light?

Is there a way to have google give a voice response to an event instead of through the desktop?
            +1, is so challenging to remember to tell homeseer to tell the light to tell the switch to turn on. The other one is how it should be, OK Google turn the light off, done. Rick, is this how you are designing it? With Google you can even ask similar question on the same subject. It would be cool to ask, Google set thermostat to 72, Google what is now set at. This is the ultimate home automation in my opinion.....

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

It doesn't have to be "tell homeseer". When you setup IFTTT you give it the exact phrase that you want to use. That phrase has to be something that will not get confused with existing Google Home commands.

There are two things mentioned in this thread. IFTTT to pass voice commands. This works with anything that can initiate a command via IFTTT. The context here was using it with Google Home.

The other part was a direct interface with google home control interface. That has nothing to do with Alexa/Echo. Google Home is a competitor for Alexa.
              - Tom

HSPro/Insteon
              Web Site
              YouTube Channel

Comment

That's what the "direct" post in this forum is about. They're working on it.

Comment

Certainly it will not require that with the direct interface. However, I've been using it with IFTTT since day 1 and my command never had that. It was, "Hey Google, turn on kitchen light" I had to use the 3rd party IFTTT plugin to get that. Now I don't need to.

Actually, my 30 day license for the 3rd party plugin ran out so I setup ha-bridge. That worked even better (faster). Since I spent the time to get that working, I don't think I can go back to slight delay of IFTTT and will probably just use ha-bridge until the direct interface comes out and use IFTTT for some miscellaneous things where I can make a more natural voice command by using it.
                  - Tom

HSPro/Insteon
                  Web Site
                  YouTube Channel

Comment

Hope the 'direct' version doesn't have to go thru the internet. It's a killer for us with slow connections.
                    Don

Comment

Originally posted by donstephens View Post
                      Hope the 'direct' version doesn't have to go thru the internet. It's a killer for us with slow connections.
                      I hope the same. I can say that I have the ha-bridge going now and it is direct (non-internet) and it is very responsive. (although the IFTTT wasn't all that bad in my experience, but noticeably slower) I am hoping that the new direct interface is the same, but much easier to setup.
                      - Tom

HSPro/Insteon
                      Web Site
                      YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by tpchristian View Post
                        I hope the same. I can say that I have the ha-bridge going now and it is direct (non-internet) and it is very responsive. (although the IFTTT wasn't all that bad in my experience, but noticeably slower) I am hoping that the new direct interface is the same, but much easier to setup.

What is the "ha-Bridge"? Is this a plugin or a physical device. More info please.

Steve Q

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                        HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                        2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
                          What is the "ha-Bridge"? Is this a plugin or a physical device. More info please.

Steve Q

ha-bridge is an open source (free) application that was developed to emulate a hue hub. Originally developed to get vera going with amazon echo. However, it can be used with home too. It also doesn't require vera. It is an app that you will run on a pc. You will need to configure devices to make calls to HomeSeer for each device. Once you set this up Google Home will find this app (as a Hue Hub), but it will really be controlling HomeSeer.

You will find more information on this thread. Remember that for Google Home you have to configure the server to run on port 80. If you have another app running on that port, you'll have to either move that app to another port or run ha-bridge on another computer.

https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?p=1279654
                          - Tom

HSPro/Insteon
                          Web Site
                          YouTube Channel

Comment

This sounds like a very good approach. I'm going to see if I can get it working with the Lutron hub.

Steve Q

HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                            2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Q View Post
                              This sounds like a very good approach. I'm going to see if I can get it working with the Lutron hub.
                              Steve, are you trying to get Google Home talking to HomeSeer or Google Home talking to Lutron? My goal was the former, but maybe you have a different use case. I just want to make sure there isn't a misunderstanding. I don't know what kind of interface the Lutron hub has, but likely both are possible.
                              - Tom

HSPro/Insteon
                              Web Site
                              YouTube Channel

Comment

Working...
                              X