Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can RFXCOM read tire pressure using a RFXtrx315?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can RFXCOM read tire pressure using a RFXtrx315?

From what I've read, my wife's Nissan 2010 Cube's factory wireless tire pressure sensors operate at 315Mhz. It would be nice if I could have HomeSeer check the cold tire pressure in the early morning and alert me if her tires need some air before they reach the critically low level (at which point an indicator light flicks on in her car and she tells me about it).

Also, similarly, I have Orange Electronic aftermarket tire pressure sensors on my vehicle which operate at 433.92Mhz. Can I read my vehicles tire pressure using RFXCOM and the RFXrec433 that I already own? Because it's aftermarket, my vehicle doesn't have a TPMS indicator light built in, and I don't often remember to check my tire pressure using their wireless reader. If I had HS checking it for me every morning, I could safely forget about checking it using their reader.

Comment

The RFXCOM receivers are programmed to receive the indicated protocols. other protocols are not decoded by the RFXCOM.
      The list of known protocols is in the RFXtrx User Guide (on the RFXCOM download page)

Comment

Originally posted by b_weijenberg View Post
        The RFXCOM receivers are programmed to receive the indicated protocols. other protocols are not decoded by the RFXCOM.
        The list of known protocols is in the RFXtrx User Guide (on the RFXCOM download page)
        Is it possible to add new decoded protocols to the RFXCOM? Is it something that only you can do?

Comment

It is not possible for the user to add protocols.

Comment

Tire pressure monitoring systems are very short range anyway. The antenna would literally need to be within a very few feet of the tires.
            Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
              Tire pressure monitoring systems are very short range anyway. The antenna would literally need to be within a very few feet of the tires.
              I'm quite sure my Orange has better range than that. When it's inside a closed vehicle connected to the cigarette lighter (as it is designed to do), it has to pick up signals that bounce off exterior surfaces and come in through glass windows (which is yet another signal reduction). Reception in the garage outside the vehicle is easier. The signals are repetitive, and so you don't need to receive 100% all of them 100% of the time.

Comment

I put my Orange TPMS receiver in the garage and hooked it to line voltage with a 12 volt adapter. It has no trouble reading and displaying all four of the vehicle tire pressures, even when the vehicle is parked in the driveway and not the garage. It does seem to collect and display the initial tire pressure readings faster when the vehicle is in the garage though.

I'm using HomeSeer to have it collect verifiably fresh readings early each morning when the tires are cold, and so at a glance I know my tire pressure readings before getting in the vehicle. I find this works faster and better than plugging in to the vehicle's cigarette lighter after the vehicle starts. i.e. if a tire is low, I want to know that before leaving (when I can easily add air) and not somewhere down the road.

It's not fancy, but it works. I'll need to find a different solution for my wife's vehicle, since she has no standalone TPMS reader like I do. I had hoped rfxtrx315 would have worked out for her case, but I'm not reading any enthusiasm here for that type of application.
                Last edited by NeverDie; October 7, 2013, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X