This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Method for Long Message strings

I'm a new user of this sign and software and want to begin writing messages that will display various items when someone walks into the room. For example, the betabrite would first display a welcome message, then the current weather, followed by the day's forecast, stock market quotes, a no-smoking reminder and finally the time. Each of these messages would possibly use different fonts, colors and display patterns.

Is it best to configure a single message containing all this information or separate messages for each and then sending them via script commands like

hs.plugin("LEDAM").SendMessage "Welcome"
    hs.plugin("LEDAM").SendMessage "Current Weather"
    hs.plugin("LEDAM").SendMessage "Forecast"
    hs.plugin("LEDAM").SendMessage "Quotes"
    etc..
    Regards, Bob

There are pros and cons to both. I have each a separate message. That works good, but there is a problem with that method. The plugin will reload the sign for each message and the sign will do some blinking. The first call will load one message, the second call will load two messages, the third three messages, etc. The way around this is to display a higher priority message like "updating" load the lower ones, then delete the updating message.

One long message will work, but its not as flexible. Can't change individual messages.

Comment

I'm looking at a better way to do this. I've got to do some experimenting, but I think if I can make it so StartMessage can start multiple messages that might get around the one, one - two, one - two - three... problem. If this idea works, then you could load multiiple messages with SetMessage, and then start them all at once. This won't help with updating messages already displayed on the sign.

Bill

Comment

Working...
      X