Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TAPI Caller ID Plug-In

Hi,

Would anyone be interested in a caller-id plug-in that will work with any TAPI compliant modem?

I have already developed the YACSeer caller-id plug-in which gets caller ID data from a freeware program called YAC but I now know how to get the caller-id data directly from the modem. I have some code working and would just need to do some work to pull it all together to make the new plug-in.

The plug-in would have the following features:

- Detect caller-id data using a TAPI compliant modem in the HomeSeer PC.
    - Lookup the name for the number in the HomeSeer Address book
    - Log all calls to a call log viewable in the HS web interface
    - Allow events to be created to be triggered by incoming calls (with wildcards in name and number).
    - Show details of last call in plug-in specific devices.
    - Pass calls to HS Phone if installed.
    - Fully configurable plug-in
    - Can be easily configured to speak details of incoming calls

The features would be similar to the existing YACSeer plug-in but with no need to install YAC.

The plug-in would only detect incoming calls and would not provide the more advanced features of HS phone.

I may implement this as an enhancement to the existing YACSeer plug-in which would then become a more general CallerID plug-in and perhaps I should consider changing the name to CIDSeer or something. Not sure of the logistics of changing the name of a plug-in though (there may well be issues with licensing and the updater) - does anyone know if this is possible?

Is there already a TAPI caller-id plug-in?
    Would there be any interest in such a plug-in?

Regards,
    George

The plugin i wrote a few years back is using Tapi.
    I've used it with a ZyXEL modem when I had an ISDN line, but since I switched to VOIP with my cable company I reverted back to an analog line with an old USR modem.

But although I'm still using Tapi as an interface to the modem, I eventually abandonned the Tapi messaging to use the modem's native AT interface because the windows Tapi drivers implementation for CID was unreliable or simply not working with many modems i tried.
    This means that my plugin is tied to a specific brand's implementation of the CID AT interface, but it could still be rendered universal by going for some scripting interface instead of hardcoding.

Besides that it does exactly wat you specified, although not via Homesser addresbook but one which is directly implemented in the plugin.

So yes it could be interesting, I don't know where you live but here in europe, landlines are a slowly dying species as everyone has a mobile and just holding the remaining landline for DSL if not on cable.
    So I don't know if there will be a sufficient demand for this.

But good luck anyway.

Cheers.

a few screenshots:
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi George

I think you should not create a new plugin, but build on the YACSeer, and add that functionality to it so you dont need YACServer. Adding in the ability to broadcast to listeners, that would seal YarServer's fate!

I also think that you are opening yourself up to all sort of support requests as CID is one of these things that most folks have great troubles with.... as I am sure you know!
      I appreciate that TAPI is between you and the modem... but folks are folks!

DJ
      ---------------------------------------------------http://weather.penicuik.org

Comment

Working...
      X