OpenSprinkler open source sprinkler controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OpenSprinkler open source sprinkler controller

After a couple of years of frustration with my Rain8Nets (yes multiple due to failure) I'm switching to a different controller. I have been searching for a replacement for a while, and have also considered building my own controller based on the Flyport. I finally found my ideal controller and it's called OpenSprinkler.

It's Arduino based, ethernet connected, and open source. 8 zones with an expansion module to add 8 more (I have 9 zones so that makes solutions like EtherRain pretty darn expensive for me). I just purchased the assembled version and am looking forward to getting it working with HomeSeer.

I use mcsSprinklers so I should be able to use virtual devices to control each zone. Will probably end up writing a simple plugin for this. If there's any interest I'll post the plugin here for free.

Links:
    http://rayshobby.net/?page_id=160
    http://rayshobby.net/?page_id=1857
    HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
    Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
    Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
    Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Nice! I looked at netduino to do sprinklers but eventually (chickened out and) went with 2 Insteon / Simplehomenet EZFloras and a script. I have 14 zones which meant 2 EZ Floras so I understand the cost end of it. We live in a "lightning rich" environment with valves buried all over the yard so I worried about device failure too.

I'd love to see how this works out for you. Users of Snevl Sprinklers could take advantage of OpenSprinkler too with a plugin.

Since its web server based, a RESTful plugin looks like the way to go.

Please post back here with your progress and results!
    Paul

Comment

Not familiar with Snevl sprinklers. How would that work? I'm thinking of just creating a plugin that adds one virtual device per zone plus a virtual device for the rain sensor input. I'll probably have to do some custom firmware for the OpenSprinkler unit since it looks like it's made to run its own internal schedule and not be controlled by external software. I'll have to do some more digging on that before I'm sure.

I'll definitely post my experiences here as soon as I get it.
      Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
      Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
      Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Snevl Sprinklers is a free scripting / aspx based sprinkler scheduling solution for homeseer. It doesn't provide the computational / weather capabilities of MCS sprinklers, but it does make it very easy to configure multiple schedules for homeseer defined sprinkler zone devices. You can also manipulate the schedules with events and scripts.. eg more watering when its hotter, less when its rained, etc.

Like MCS Sprinklers, Snevl sprinklers assumes you've connected Homeseer to the valve controls via a device.. eg F1, F2 etc. A plugin or script is needed to accomplish that.

There's a picture on the OpenSprinkler page that shows simple web based configuration by zone; I was thinking a plugin or even a script that did PUTs and GETS that would allow a straightforward way to communicate with it. Most likely there are pages with zone tests or zone on / zone off capabilities in addition to the schedule pages. Much like the EZfloras, its a solid device but the built in scheduling doesn't allow homeseer's integration and ease of control. Building the interface is the key as you have described.

It sounds like a great adventure no matter how you decide to do it!
        Paul

Comment

OpenSprinkler plugin is complete

I just finished coding and testing a plugin to control the OpenSprinkler ethernet irrigation controller. It's a pretty simple plugin with no configuration other than a few lines in an INI file. It uses HTTP GETs to control the valves and report status. It also uses the stock firmware, so no modification or reprogramming is required on the OpenSprinkler unit.

Here are some of the features:
          • Minimal configuration (INI file is 10 lines long)
          • Creates one on/off device for each sprinkler valve
          • Supports OpenSprinkler and up to 10 expansion modules for control of up to 88 valves on one Ethernet connection
          • Creates one device that displays overall status (Idle, Watering, Not Responding)
          • Every time a valve is turned on it will set a max allowable watering time. If HomeSeer crashes while watering, the OpenSprinkler unit will shut the valve off after the specified time
          • Polls valve status every 60 seconds and optionally after every on/off operation

If there's any interest I'll post the plugin either on the forum or possibly in the updater. This version will be free, though if I end up making a full blown irrigation control system out of it there may be a charge for future releases.

See http://rayshobby.net/OpenSprinkler for hardware details. I'm not affiliated with this site in any way, just a happy customer.
          Attached Files

Comment

Wow, I was just searching the web for an better solution to Rain8net and Rain8relay and found Opensprinkler. Was gonna post here and realized that Refido was already on top of this.
            The functions of OpenSprinkler( with lcd at the relay, pulse others) seem better than the Pro version of Rain8net($185 for 8 valves via serial). The Opensprinkler is ($89 for 8 valves via Ethernet). Both can be expanded(more valves), but again Opensprinkler 8 valve expansion is $25. Rain8net Pro expansion is $$160. OpenSprinkler comes with its own web software I believe. The price for OpenSprinkler is for the DIY kit and case( assembly needed - all of it) Assembled Opensprinkler and expansion are $149 and $45, respectively.

So this will be they for me. For $200 I can have 16 valve OpenSprinkler, the cost of a single Rain8net Pro(8 valves).
            Last edited by TomTom; July 11, 2012, 07:44 PM. Reason: assembled price
            Tom
            baby steps...starting again with HS3
            HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
            HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
            Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
            In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
            System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

TomTom,
              Your points are exactly why I went searching and found an alternative to Rain8. I have an 8 zone OpenSprinkler and one 8 zone expansion for half the price of other solutions.

I'm still in the testing phase of my plugin, but so far everything seems to be working well. Since I really just wrote it for me and don't expect many people to be buying OpenSprinkler the plugin will be free. I am a DIY guy but since I have little spare time I bought the fully assembled and tested version. I'm very happy with it.

Comment

PlugIn

Very interested in the plugin. I've been on the fence with regards to Irrigation automation mostly because of no elegant 15 zone controllers existing. I like MCS for timing control so this seems like a great option.

Comment

Wingnut,
                  Opensprinkler also has great support and they actively keep updating their firmware. Checkout their forum.
                  Tom

Comment

The plugin is done and has been working without problems for a while now. I'm writing up the documentation now and will post the plugin as soon as it's complete. Shooting for getting it posted tonight or tomorrow.

Comment

Reid,
                      I just saw it.
                      Thanks for all the work in making the plugin and documentation.
                      Tom

Comment

Originally posted by TomTom View Post
                        Reid,
                        I just saw it.
                        Thanks for all the work in making the plugin and documentation.
                        Please let me know if you find any issues with it, or if you have suggestions.

Reid

Comment

Bit off topic. I'm interested in this as I'm considering installing a sprinkler system

Any recommentdations on valves, etc?

Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
                          HSTouch - iPhone 3GS, 4S, iPad2 and iPad 3, 3xKindle Fire (Wall mounted)
                          2 x Brultech ECM1240 with UltraECM
                          USB UIRT
                          Cooper Aspire Z-Wave Switches
                          WGL800 w ACRF2 and 3xDS10a (Sump Level/Activity sensing)
                          HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
                          HSM100 - Motion Detector with Light and Temperature
                          2GIG Thermostat
                          BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
                          BLUPS
                          UltraLog (SQL2008)
                          Jon00 Plugins
                          Host XR3 BT and Jon00 BT Proximity
                          Global Cache IP2IR
                          Foscam FI8918W

Comment

I had my sprinkler system initially installed by a Rainbird dealer so everything was originally Rainbird. That said when it was being installed I had the installers run extra tubing from the house to the periferals of the property.

Its been now almost 10 years and the manifold and solenoids are doing fine. I have replaced maybe 3 heads out of about 42 heads.

The most inexpensive piece of the system was the controller; which at the time was a Rainbird ESP. I removed it and installed two Rain8nets about a week after it was installed and connected to mcsSprinklers. A couple of years ago I did lose the Rain8nets due to a lightning strike. I replaced them with same. I then migrated from the Homeseer server running mcsSprinklers to mcsSprinklers for Linux running it on a Seagate Dockstar with ArchLinux on it. Its been doing fine. Weather data is from Cumulus and the internet.

The endeavor / installation of the sprinkler tubing and heads really isn't a DIY. One of the neighbors got a deal here and had to redo all of his system including the sprinkler lines cuz they were installed too close to the surface.

All in all though sprinkler parts in general are inexpensive. In Florida I've always had issues with the Rainbird system there. Lightning always takes out the fuse in the controller, sand gets in the solenoids and the heads so I am always replacing them. It's still working there fine and utilizing a common subdivision well.
                            - Pete

Auto mator
                            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                              Its been now almost 10 years and the manifold and solenoids are doing fine. I have replaced maybe 3 heads out of about 42 heads.
                              LOL Pete, I read that and thought, "How in the heck is that possible in FL?" Then I saw you weren't talking about FL at all. I am constantly replacing heads, and I have already had to replace most of my solenoids that were only 5 years old due to sand intrusion.

Comment

Working...
                              X