WinkRelay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update

Looks like Wink has pushed down an update to the device that tries to lock out some of this. Make sure you add a browser (Chrome or anything else) before you accept the update. They remove the stock browser limiting your ability to download anything else from the net. They also seem to be deleting the user credentials periodically for all software other than theirs which forces repeated logins from the tiny keyboard. The Wink app has to be running in the background for the device proximity detector to work to turn screen on/off.

In addition, not sure if related to the above yet, but KingRoot fails for me. Without root, you can't add fullscreen to best use HSTouch.

On the plus side, Home Depot has these for $69! Just need a way to lock the device and stop it from accepting new updates.

Comment

Originally posted by CraigF View Post
      Looks like Wink has pushed down an update to the device that tries to lock out some of this. Make sure you add a browser (Chrome or anything else) before you accept the update. They remove the stock browser limiting your ability to download anything else from the net. They also seem to be deleting the user credentials periodically for all software other than theirs which forces repeated logins from the tiny keyboard. The Wink app has to be running in the background for the device proximity detector to work to turn screen on/off.

In addition, not sure if related to the above yet, but KingRoot fails for me. Without root, you can't add fullscreen to best use HSTouch.

On the plus side, Home Depot has these for $69! Just need a way to lock the device and stop it from accepting new updates.
      I wonder why they are doing that. I have seen them basically on clearance (locally), which made me think they were old hardware. Maybe they just aren't selling very well locally.

Comment

Clearance pricing

I just figured the same as many of you, for $69 to get a touchscreen controller and control of 2 switches was a pretty good deal. Just have to work a few kinks out....like root and blocking updates.

Comment

My biggest problem is it's an old version of Android and once you block updates you are pretty stuck with it, with root you could install a rom but not sure who if anyone supports it

Comment

I've been playing with one of these and got it rooted and installed HSTouch and other goodies. It runs HSTouch nicely and the wink app stays in the background, I don't have a wink hub nor do I want one so the switches don't work remotely, local control is there.
            I have an idea I'm gonna try, how about doing away with the built in switches (relay part) and stuff an Aeon Labs Aeotec DSC 17103 module in its place hooked up to the built in switches (cover plate) for local control and zwave control.
            Sounds like a plan
            John

Comment

Originally posted by lj502 View Post
              I've been playing with one of these and got it rooted and installed HSTouch and other goodies. It runs HSTouch nicely and the wink app stays in the background, I don't have a wink hub nor do I want one so the switches don't work remotely, local control is there.
              I have an idea I'm gonna try, how about doing away with the built in switches (relay part) and stuff an Aeon Labs Aeotec DSC 17103 module in its place hooked up to the built in switches (cover plate) for local control and zwave control.
              Sounds like a plan
              John
              Funny, I was thinking of the same thing since I have a spare Aeotec that I bought to test. However, I managed to brick the Wink on the first day and it won't restore from it's factory backup so I think it's headed back. Instead, I've seen a couple tablet mounts that screw into a double gang switch box. I'll probably use one of those to mount a Samsung (which I can more easily unbrick since it has USB, etc) with an Aeotec behind it to control the covered up switches. It will just cost triple what the $69 Wink cost.

Comment

Hi, what tablet mounts have you seen that fit into a gang box?

thanks

Funny, I was thinking of the same thing since I have a spare Aeotec that I bought to test. However, I managed to brick the Wink on the first day and it won't restore from it's factory backup so I think it's headed back. Instead, I've seen a couple tablet mounts that screw into a double gang switch box. I'll probably use one of those to mount a Samsung (which I can more easily unbrick since it has USB, etc) with an Aeotec behind it to control the covered up switches. It will just cost triple what the $69 Wink cost.

Comment

Originally posted by mpovolo View Post
                  Hi, what tablet mounts have you seen that fit into a gang box?

thanks
                  I hit the below first, haven't done much research yet. I'd prefer something that's flush to the wall. If I can't find what I want, I have 2 sons who are mechanical engineers with access to machine shops. (They may be in for a fabrication exercise.) I'm thinking either power over ethernet or even a small transformer in the box if I remove the switches and fit an Aeotech....since power is already there.

Now I need to see if I can find something for android that would use the front camera as a proximity sensor to turn the screen on/off like the Wink Relay.

http://www.vidabox.com/kiosks/vidamo...ure-mount.html

Comment

Now I need to see if I can find something for android that would use the front camera as a proximity sensor to turn the screen on/off like the Wink Relay.
                    Imperihome does this pretty well... two different ways depending on your android build/tablet.

I will say that it doesn't actually turn the screen completely off ... you can still see the back lighting, but it's fine (at least for us), and only noticeable in the dark. I've built a bunch of cheaper refurbed tablets and installed these around my house.

Comment

Found this today but I don't no anything about MQTT, it makes the Relay a MQTT device and sends button presses and sensor data to a MQTT server, I think it disables the wink side and might get us where we need to be however I guess I need to do some reading.
                      https://github.com/mjg59/wink-relay-handler
                      Someone who knows something about MQTT please chime in, those buttons and sensors are waiting!
                      John

Comment

Working...
                      X