Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plugin prevents Sonos updates and diagnostics

Hi,

I ran into a hard to track down issue running the plugin. I was experiencing a lot of problems updating my system and could not submit diagnostic reports to Sonos. Even going to the http://#.#.#.#:1400/support/review page would time out on some units. Sonos support couldn't track it down, even after remote controlling a system to debug the network for hours.

I eventually found that the plugin looks so much like a controller to the Sonos equipment, that the Zones were logging errors attempting to connect back to the HomeSeer server and attempting to query XML from controller to report in both diagnostics and apparently during updates. I have a very large system in one home (32 devices) and this system was the one that would time out. The cumulative time for each unit to query the 'Controller' and timeout made updating and generating the diagnostics fail.

After disabling the plugin I could both update and submit diagnostics again.

I was wondering if the plugin could either a) do something so the zones don't attempt to query it or b) if not possible, they actually open the port the zones are querying and give back some stub information to make it happy.

You can see this if you go to the support/review and open up the Controllers. You should see the plugin. Then in the logs on a Zone you should see the failed connection errors to that controller.

Best,
    Bill

Originally posted by bsobel View Post
    Hi,

I ran into a hard to track down issue running the plugin. I was experiencing a lot of problems updating my system and could not submit diagnostic reports to Sonos. Even going to the http://#.#.#.#:1400/support/review page would time out on some units. Sonos support couldn't track it down, even after remote controlling a system to debug the network for hours.

I eventually found that the plugin looks so much like a controller to the Sonos equipment, that the Zones were logging errors attempting to connect back to the HomeSeer server and attempting to query XML from controller to report in both diagnostics and apparently during updates. I have a very large system in one home (32 devices) and this system was the one that would time out. The cumulative time for each unit to query the 'Controller' and timeout made updating and generating the diagnostics fail.

After disabling the plugin I could both update and submit diagnostics again.

I was wondering if the plugin could either a) do something so the zones don't attempt to query it or b) if not possible, they actually open the port the zones are querying and give back some stub information to make it happy.

You can see this if you go to the support/review and open up the Controllers. You should see the plugin. Then in the logs on a Zone you should see the failed connection errors to that controller.

Best,
    Bill
    The PI indeed acts like a controller. Which version of the PI are you using? Is the PI (NOT HS but the PI) allowed in your firewall?

Only thing I can think off is hanging TCP ports in the Sonos player (think bug) caused by incomplete TCP sessions with a firewall being one of the major culprits, network issues the other.

Dirk.

Comment

Hi Dirk. Apologies I missed the update you responded. I am on the latest version. No FW (its a SEL box, so the plugin should have open access to the local network in/out). Can you try doing a 'submit diagnostics' and see if you are getting a request to generate data during that, I think that is the issue (the controller submitting diags polls each device and apparently the plugin too)...

Comment

Can you try doing a 'submit diagnostics' and see if you are getting a request to generate data during that, I think that is the issue (the controller submitting diags polls each device and apparently the plugin too)...
        ?????? huh ??????
        The PI is not doing any diagnostics submissions

One thing you could do is to turn debug logging on and restart HS3 and post the log file, say after 1 hour or how long it takes for it to come up. At the end of that log-period, do a TTS and have it as part of the log. Post log.

Dirk

Comment

Originally posted by dcorsus View Post
          ?????? huh ??????
          The PI is not doing any diagnostics submissions

One thing you could do is to turn debug logging on and restart HS3 and post the log file, say after 1 hour or how long it takes for it to come up. At the end of that log-period, do a TTS and have it as part of the log. Post log.

Dirk
          What I mean was do a Submit Diagnostics on any real Sonos controller and you should see the incoming connection to the plugin while the other controller tries to generate the submission package. Its this incoming request that doesn't appear to be handled correctly.

Comment

What I mean was do a Submit Diagnostics on any real Sonos controller and you should see the incoming connection to the plugin while the other controller tries to generate the submission package. Its this incoming request that doesn't appear to be handled correctly.
            I did a quick trace and I see indeed a GET /support/aggregate arriving; makes no sense, but that's what it is. I see it being requested about 5 times, but it doesn't seem to affect the "submit Diagnostic" command.

Could you tell me "how" you see that the PI is a controller. There used to be a UPNP option under :1400/status which would show which services were subscribed to. I don't see it anymore, maybe the HTTP API changed somewhat and I'm out of date on what can be displayed potentially with hidden URLs.

Care to post which URLs you use (sans IP address) to display what you referred to above as "
            I eventually found that the plugin looks so much like a controller to the Sonos equipment, that the Zones were logging errors attempting to connect back to the HomeSeer server"

How did you see this, and which log did you see the errors in?

Dirk

Comment

Working...
            X