Touchscreens and Tablets this season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Touchscreens and Tablets this season?

OK, so the early holiday season tech reviews and print ads have started arriving at my house. Earlier this year, I had thought I might save up for either a Kindle Fire or some variation of Nook to turn into a sort of "Homeseer Remote". (I'm really tired of using two HR12a's to control lights and a very limited play list on the whole-house audio.)

But there have been a lot of new tablets coming out on the market lately, and I'm now circling back around to come up with a fresh "solution" (to buy with any spare Christmas cash).

So I was wondering what tablets / tablet-based solutions you guys have been using? Pros and cons for them?

All I'm looking for is to have some small touch-screen interface in my living room that will give me more control / more options. $250 or less (as another Christmas dream I have is to get some sort of small tablet to carry with me at all times to house my daily "to-do list").

Thanks!

-= Dave =-

I have been in tablet overload lately. My wife said no more for Christmas
    I have 2 Kindle Fires, 3 Motorola Xooms, an HP Touchpad (running ICS) and an old Cruz Reader.

If I were going to get anything, as of today, the Nexus 7 would be perfect as far as size and price, closely followed by the Kindle Fire. I dont know of any cons with these. They all run HSTouch and can be configured almost endlessly.
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I run a Nexus 7 and have no complaints, seems a decent piece of hardware for the price. Runs HSTouch without any particular problems.

Comment

I would really like to deploy some Android touchscreens but I have not been able to find any table top or wall mounts that approach those available for iPads in terms of functionality as well as good looks.

That said, I may pick one up (Android tablet) to dedicate as a remote for usage on the couch.

Comment

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
          I run a Nexus 7 and have no complaints, seems a decent piece of hardware for the price. Runs HSTouch without any particular problems.
          +1.. Fast quad core; 16gb. Great device for the money
          Paul

Comment

You can't go wrong with a Kindle Fire or Nexus 7/10. Also HomeSeer has a new wall mountable touchscreen and a new one coming soon.
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Do tell, what is the new touchscreen coming soon?
              HS3 PRO, Win10, WeatherXML, HSTouch, Pushover, UltraGCIR, Heaps of Jon00 Plugins, Just sold and about to move so very slim system.

Facebook | Twitter | Flickr | Google+ | Website | YouTube

Comment

Quick HSTouch question

Greetings All !

Following up to my initial post here in this thread.:

Christmas came a bit early for me last night... my wife bought me a Google Nexus 7 (wi-fi only version). I'm trying to follow the directions on this page:

http://www.homeseer.com/android/

Specifically, the line that says:

"Step 2 - Download and install HomeSeer HSTouch server plug-in and Android plug-in from within the HS2 or HSPRO application."

OK, so I've run "update" on my HS2 and I'm seeing only two apparent options that say "HSTOUCH" anywhere:

HSTouch Server iPhone Android Plug-In Collection (for HS2-HSPRO)

or

HSTouch Server Unlimited Connections Upgrade Plug-In

I'm assuming those instructions are talking about the first one... the $199 software package ? (Throwing the word "iPhone" in there is confusing me slightly...not to mention the odd wording in the instructions.)

Thanks!

-= Dave =-

Comment

I think collection refers to the fact you get both plugins. I have iPOD and Android phones and this is how it looks. You don't need HSTOUCH designer that allows creating custom screens ($199) but just plugin ($39 for either Android or iOS). Unless you have pro version of HS - those are already included for free in that version.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hmmmm..... now looking at your screenshot suggests to me that I may need BOTH the "HSTouch Android" plugin ($39) AND the "HSTouch Server" ($199, I see I already have it downloaded but have not yet launched the Free Trial before).

Oh joy.... all I wanted was a better Homeseer remote than the two little white plastic 8-button, 16 codes max remotes that I've been working off of for years. And now I'm looking at hardware that cost us just under $300... and additional software that will cost another $240. Sheesh.

Comment

Originally posted by DR4296 View Post
                      Hmmmm..... now looking at your screenshot suggests to me that I may need BOTH the "HSTouch Android" plugin ($39) AND the "HSTouch Server" ($199, I see I already have it downloaded but have not yet launched the Free Trial before).

Oh joy.... all I wanted was a better Homeseer remote than the two little white plastic 8-button, 16 codes max remotes that I've been working off of for years. And now I'm looking at hardware that cost us just under $300... and additional software that will cost another $240. Sheesh.
                      Most users go the HomeSeer Pro route as all of the HSTouch suite is included.
                      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                        Most users go the HomeSeer Pro route as all of the HSTouch suite is included.
                        Looks like going that route (from HS2) would cost me $449. That does make $200 sound a little better. <grin!>

Comment

I don't see any price for server on the web site - I thought it is included for free and you just have to pay for clients. You get windows client for free but have to pay for iOS and/or Android client plugin. Apps are free from the store. So your cost should be $40 if you stick with just Android.

Comment

Originally posted by Person View Post
                            I don't see any price for server on the web site - I thought it is included for free and you just have to pay for clients. You get windows client for free but have to pay for iOS and/or Android client plugin. Apps are free from the store. So your cost should be $40 if you stick with just Android.

http://store.homeseer.com/store/Home...g-in-P634.aspx

Comment

Working...
                            X