Nexus 9 in wall tablet - finished project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nexus 9 in wall tablet - finished project

Just wrapped up mounting my Nexus on the wall for HSTouch. Pretty stoked at how it turned out. Thought I'd post here to hopefully give some folks some inspiration on their own projects.

Looks nice! Is it made from No. 2 pine? What's the stain you used? How do you turn it on?

We need more details!
    Originally posted by rprade
    There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
      Looks nice! Is it made from No. 2 pine? What's the stain you used? How do you turn it on?

We need more details!
      Funny enough, the back piece of the frame was already constructed, I just simply purchased it from Hobby Lobby. Then, I purchased some scrap barnwood from there as well, mitered the corners, and glued it all together. Nothing is stained at all, its very rough and meant to look distressed.

If I need to turn on the screen of the nexus manually, I can simply double tap the screen and it turns on (this is built into Android). But, its rare that I need to because I'm using an app called "Motion Detector" that turns on the screen when it detects motion.

Comment

How are you powering the unit? USB adapter?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jerems View Post

Sorry for the delayed reply, been very busy with work! I'm using a 90 degree micro usb plug I got off of Amazon and it just runs thru a tiny hole on the drywall. The other side of this wall is an unfinished mechanical room. It just simply plugs into an outlet there.
          For my next one I'm planning to do on the main floor, I'm going to run a sunken outlet with a retrofit single gang box and use a USB plug behind it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jon102034050 View Post
            Sorry for the delayed reply, been very busy with work! I'm using a 90 degree micro usb plug I got off of Amazon and it just runs thru a tiny hole on the drywall. The other side of this wall is an unfinished mechanical room. It just simply plugs into an outlet there.
            For my next one I'm planning to do on the main floor, I'm going to run a sunken outlet with a retrofit single gang box and use a USB plug behind it

Very cool, thanks!

Comment

Very cool, thanks!

Right on, np! Are you planning a similar project? Have anything in the works yet?

Comment

Originally posted by jon102034050 View Post
                Right on, np! Are you planning a similar project? Have anything in the works yet?

My wife and I are building a new house so I'm trying to research various ideas so I can pre-release the house accordingly!
                Quite daunting when you think of all the possibilities you can wire for but I like the idea of using a couple tablets as user interfaces but the mounting solutions are slim unless you go iPad... Which I won't.

Main thing is making the whole solution wife friendly...haha... Happy wife happy life.

Comment

My wife and I are building a new house so I'm trying to research various ideas so I can pre-release the house accordingly!
                  Quite daunting when you think of all the possibilities you can wire for but I like the idea of using a couple tablets as user interfaces but the mounting solutions are slim unless you go iPad... Which I won't.

Main thing is making the whole solution wife friendly...haha... Happy wife happy life.

Oh man, do I know that!! Good luck, let me know if you have any questions!

Comment

I personally would use something like this if you have a POE switch:

https://find-a-poe.com/product/PoE-f...n-PoE-Devices/

Comment

Originally posted by ajgyomber View Post
                      I personally would use something like this if you have a POE switch:

https://find-a-poe.com/product/PoE-f...n-PoE-Devices/
                      Don't think the nexus 9 is POE capable. Maybe this is outdated?

https://support.google.com/nexus/for...kNtWO88/?hl=en

Comment

No, it just allows you to use POE to power the microUSB. The tablet itself just thinks it's plugged into the wall. Pretty cool little device.

Comment

No, it just allows you to use POE to power the microUSB. The tablet itself just thinks it's plugged into the wall. Pretty cool little device.
                          Ah I see, so no Ethernet capability. Sort of a bummer, but still a great option for power over some distance!

Comment

You've definitely inspired me to get this done as well. I've been wanting to mount one by my Ecobee in my living room and setting it up with Imperihome.

Comment

You've definitely inspired me to get this done as well. I've been wanting to mount one by my Ecobee in my living room and setting it up with Imperihome.
                              sweet! Post up pics as you progress!

Comment

Working...
                              X