Sonos will not play audio file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sonos will not play audio file

Hello - I cannot get Sonos to play an audio file.
    Fact list is this

1) playing audio file from MEDIA folder on Homeseer server
    2) playing it linked sonos speaker client
    3) Tried MP3 and WAV files
    4) I am not getting an error in log
    Attached Files

Originally posted by aaron@sbiteam.com View Post
    Hello - I cannot get Sonos to play an audio file.
    Fact list is this

1) playing audio file from MEDIA folder on Homeseer server
    2) playing it linked sonos speaker client
    3) Tried MP3 and WAV files
    4) I am not getting an error in log
    Please read help file tools->help->sonos
    You should use the speak function even to play files

Comment

Can someone please give me a hint as to how to play a short audio file (and what format it should be) through the SONOS Plugin. I am able to create events that Speak to the intercept $SONOS$TTS$ but have tried everything that I can think off to get Play Audio to work. I have tried .wav and .m4a file that have been uploaded to the Media folder and are selectable there through HS4 events. I saw in the above post that the Speak function has to be used in HS3 but there is no option presented in HS4 for a filename. Is there documentation somewhere?

Thx

Comment

Originally posted by amarcuvitz View Post
        Can someone please give me a hint as to how to play a short audio file (and what format it should be) through the SONOS Plugin. I am able to create events that Speak to the intercept $SONOS$TTS$ but have tried everything that I can think off to get Play Audio to work. I have tried .wav and .m4a file that have been uploaded to the Media folder and are selectable there through HS4 events. I saw in the above post that the Speak function has to be used in HS3 but there is no option presented in HS4 for a filename. Is there documentation somewhere?

Thx
        Did you check the help file? I guess if you are on HS4, I believe the help file functions are not there AND the speaker client adding is not there.
        The help file you can find in the <HS root>\html\sonos\help folder, very simple, in the speak text field you specify the COMPLETE path to the file you want to play.
        In HS4 to add the speakerclient, you need to use the "legacy HS3 url", which is http:\\xxx\events (drop the .html from the HS4 event page URL)

Comment

Originally posted by dcorsus View Post

Did you check the help file? I guess if you are on HS4, I believe the help file functions are not there AND the speaker client adding is not there.
          The help file you can find in the <HS root>\html\sonos\help folder, very simple, in the speak text field you specify the COMPLETE path to the file you want to play.
          In HS4 to add the speakerclient, you need to use the "legacy HS3 url", which is http:\\xxx\events (drop the .html from the HS4 event page URL)
          Thanks, yes I now have the help file and have read it. I followed you instructions and am getting this error reported and no sound:

9/2/2020 5:27:12 PM Legacy-Plugin Sonos Error
          Error in AddAnnouncementToQueue for LinkGroupName = ANN. SourceZone was not found

I have set up a linkgroup named Announce, specified a source player, specifed a dest player with vol 60 and mute overide, and specified intercept named $SONOS$ANN$.
          When I added $SONOS$ANN$ to the speaker client list, the legacy webpage shows the speaker client as $SONOS$ANN$:* with a red warning above saying "one or more of your Speaker client entries was modified to be in Host:Instance format."

I also tried the above with the existing linkgroup1 $SONOS$TTS$ that I know works when speaking text (although the TTS quality is unuseable). The event action is Speak Something with Text To Be Spoken: /usr/local/HomeSeer/Media/testwav.wav which plays fine on Win10. When I go to add the speakerclient as you suggested the left box Connected/Added Speaker clients is blank.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by amarcuvitz View Post

Thanks, yes I now have the help file and have read it. I followed you instructions and am getting this error reported and no sound:

9/2/2020 5:27:12 PM Legacy-Plugin Sonos Error
            Error in AddAnnouncementToQueue for LinkGroupName = ANN. SourceZone was not found

I have set up a linkgroup named Announce, specified a source player, specifed a dest player with vol 60 and mute overide, and specified intercept named $SONOS$ANN$.
            When I added $SONOS$ANN$ to the speaker client list, the legacy webpage shows the speaker client as $SONOS$ANN$:* with a red warning above saying "one or more of your Speaker client entries was modified to be in Host:Instance format."

I also tried the above with the existing linkgroup1 $SONOS$TTS$ that I know works when speaking text (although the TTS quality is unuseable). The event action is Speak Something with Text To Be Spoken: /usr/local/HomeSeer/Media/testwav.wav which plays fine on Win10. When I go to add the speakerclient as you suggested the left box Connected/Added Speaker clients is blank.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
            Please add screen shots, so much easier to understand and verify what you are doing.

The linkgroupname MUST be identical named as your event. So the event shows ANN, so your linkgroup name cannot be Announce, it must be ANN. If that was just a typo on your behalf, then the error suggest an issue with the source player selected in that particular linkgroup.

There seems to be something wrong with HS4. Go to the config page CHANGE THE SOURCEPLAYER for announcement group ANN try the announcement, change back to whatever source player you want to use. It appears that the UI mistakenly show NO SELECTION as the first player.

I lost you on your last paragraph wrt TTS. Judging from the path, this now seems to be on a Linux system, make sure the path name is correct because Linux is case sensitive, so what works in Win10, doesn't perhaps work on Linux. Moreover, on Linux, you must follow the proper install guide to get the proper text to speech app and script file installed.

Comment

Originally posted by dcorsus View Post

Please add screen shots, so much easier to understand and verify what you are doing.

The linkgroupname MUST be identical named as your event. So the event shows ANN, so your linkgroup name cannot be Announce, it must be ANN. If that was just a typo on your behalf, then the error suggest an issue with the source player selected in that particular linkgroup.

There seems to be something wrong with HS4. Go to the config page CHANGE THE SOURCEPLAYER for announcement group ANN try the announcement, change back to whatever source player you want to use. It appears that the UI mistakenly show NO SELECTION as the first player.

I lost you on your last paragraph wrt TTS. Judging from the path, this now seems to be on a Linux system, make sure the path name is correct because Linux is case sensitive, so what works in Win10, doesn't perhaps work on Linux. Moreover, on Linux, you must follow the proper install guide to get the proper text to speech app and script file installed.
              Renaming linkgroup to ANN solved the problem and it seems to work fine now. Thanks for the help! I would have never discovered the legacy event page needed. Are there others?

I have to confess that I could not find anything that would have told me the linkgroup name has to match the magic $SONOS$xxx string in the help file. I would respectfully suggest that the level of knowledge require to decipher how to use the very valuable announcement function is in sharp contrast to the intuitive easy-to-use HS goal. I think it will frustrate many users as is and could greatly benefit from simplification. For instance, it is hard to understand what a linkgroup is as outside of the SONOS plug-in as I don't think there are fields that are for linkgroups. Also, exactly what speaker proxies and speaker clients are is similarly hard to understand as the concept does not, I think, appear outside of this plugin. In my experience learning HS, you learn by exploring what selections are available throughout HS so when there are abstractions without apparent select-ability elsewhere in HS, it makes it very hard to figure what they are for and how to use them.

Below are the screenshots you asked for. Let me know if there are others that would be helpful as I am getting the impression that HS4 might not be quite ready for prime time and all of us who are depending on it should be helping get it there.

Thanks again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HS4 Event.JPG
Views:	456
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	1416622

Name:	HS3 Event.JPG
Views:	412
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	1416623

Name:	Linkgroups.JPG
Views:	399
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	1416624

Name:	SetupNetwork.JPG
Views:	399
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	1416625

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, knowing about the legacy event page is NOT the way it should be, this is an issue that has been reported many times for the last few months as an issue in HS4 but still no plan to solve.
                This PI was created for HS2 and we're now 10 years later and I realize that some of the terminology that is in the PI sounds like Martian for people who more recently joined HS4. I'll have to clean that out.
                So where are we now? Is all working?

Comment

Yes and thanks again. This will be for a new construction project not yet complete. At this point I am just making sure we can do what will be needed. Our goal is to have minimal control panel devices (they will get "technologically dated" faster than anything else in this very modern house). The HS dimmers with "multitap overloading" and LEDs combined with discrete "audio icon-like" like short SONOS announcements will provide control and feed back where appropriate. No desire for TTS so the SONOS announcement function will be important.

Comment

Working...
                  X