Sonos one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sonos one

Does this plugin world with Sonos one? This has Alexa built in; and apparently Google Assistant is coming. Not sure if they both word at the same time.
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
    Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
    weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Originally posted by wpiman View Post
    Does this plugin world with Sonos one? This has Alexa built in; and apparently Google Assistant is coming. Not sure if they both word at the same time.
    No idea, but I got an email this morning from Sonos that my Sonos one is on its way. I do not expect that the Alexa interface will be exposed. I know of at least one problem somebody (who I suspect might have been a beta user) reported.

Dirk

Comment

Hopefully, someone with a Sonos One can try this out.

Comment

Sonos One Problems

This is my first attempt to add a Sonos device to Homeseer, so I may be doing something wrong, but here's my experience so far.

The PI detects the Sonos One fine, but it does not appear to have set up a "Master" device. This is the only Sonos I have, so I am wondering if the PI has not recognised & set-up the One correctly (unlikely) or if I'm messed up somewhere (more likley). Any advice would be appreciated.

Other than that, for anyone considering getting one of these, here are some other findings.
        • The wake-word sensitivity is nowhere near as good as on the Echo. Much discussion on the Sonos forum abot this, and Sonos say it is a software/learning issue that will improve over time. At the moment, I find that every Echo in the vicinity responds to "Alexa" while the Sonos One happily ignores me.

• The latest Alexa app update allows you to add an Echo or Dot to a group of devices that corresponds with a room, to control that room; so you can say something like "Turn off the lights" and it will only change the lights in that room/group. You can't do this with the One because the Alexa app does not allow the One to be added to a group as a controller in this way. Maybe a future update will add this feature?

• Similarly, the Alexa app allows Echos to be placed in audio-groups for multi-room audio but the Sonos can't be added to these; Obviously Sonos has it's own separate multi-room audio capabilities, but this is my first & only Sonos so it would have been a bonus if it could mix & match with my existing Echos until I can afford more Sonos units.

• Also, as widely reported, the Sonos does not currently support a number of other Echo features like Alexa "calling & messaging" (eg:drop-in), flash briefings. A November update is promised for flash briefings and full Spotify support in December, but it's not clear if/when they'll add calling & messaging or other new Echo features that may come along.

Bottom line - the sound quality is superb, but don't expect it to be just like adding another Echo to your Alexa setup. There are trade-offs and, right now, it's probably not worth switching if you already have a Play:1 with an Echo Dot; you'd actually loose features & capabilities by switching to a Sonos One.

Meanwhile - does anyone have any advice how to get the Master device from the Sonos PI?

Tony

Comment

And also ... Tune-In

Just an afterthought ...

The Sonos One currently only offers Alexa voice support for Tune-in radio, which does not seem to be supported as one of the radio services with this PI.

I don't know whether or not this is an issue, but if the voice commands favour radio stations on Tune-in, which the PI does not recognise(?), then would that cause any loss of functionality?

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Walnut2000 View Post
            This is my first attempt to add a Sonos device to Homeseer, so I may be doing something wrong, but here's my experience so far.

The PI detects the Sonos One fine, but it does not appear to have set up a "Master" device. This is the only Sonos I have, so I am wondering if the PI has not recognised & set-up the One correctly (unlikely) or if I'm messed up somewhere (more likley). Any advice would be appreciated.

Other than that, for anyone considering getting one of these, here are some other findings.
            • The wake-word sensitivity is nowhere near as good as on the Echo. Much discussion on the Sonos forum abot this, and Sonos say it is a software/learning issue that will improve over time. At the moment, I find that every Echo in the vicinity responds to "Alexa" while the Sonos One happily ignores me.

• The latest Alexa app update allows you to add an Echo or Dot to a group of devices that corresponds with a room, to control that room; so you can say something like "Turn off the lights" and it will only change the lights in that room/group. You can't do this with the One because the Alexa app does not allow the One to be added to a group as a controller in this way. Maybe a future update will add this feature?

• Similarly, the Alexa app allows Echos to be placed in audio-groups for multi-room audio but the Sonos can't be added to these; Obviously Sonos has it's own separate multi-room audio capabilities, but this is my first & only Sonos so it would have been a bonus if it could mix & match with my existing Echos until I can afford more Sonos units.

• Also, as widely reported, the Sonos does not currently support a number of other Echo features like Alexa "calling & messaging" (eg:drop-in), flash briefings. A November update is promised for flash briefings and full Spotify support in December, but it's not clear if/when they'll add calling & messaging or other new Echo features that may come along.

Bottom line - the sound quality is superb, but don't expect it to be just like adding another Echo to your Alexa setup. There are trade-offs and, right now, it's probably not worth switching if you already have a Play:1 with an Echo Dot; you'd actually loose features & capabilities by switching to a Sonos One.

Meanwhile - does anyone have any advice how to get the Master device from the Sonos PI?

Tony
            Make sure the master devices is not "hidden" from view. If it is nowhere to be located, you may have accidentally deleted it from the device management screen. If so, stop HS3, go to <hs root>\config and delete the Sonos.ini file. Start HS3 and all devices will be cleaned up/re-created. Do note that you have to stop HS3, as the latter tends to cache ini files.

I received my SonosOne a week or so ago, haven't had a lot of time to play with it but one thing that bummed me out, is that it apparently doesn't pair with the play:1. I bought one SonosOne for the Alexa support but figured I didn't need 2 in a room and use my Play:1's I already had. I suspect that the (3.1.x.x version) PI "might" allow pairing between One and Play:1; haven't tried it; but I'll look at it at some point in time. Also the wall mount bracket is different

Dirk

Comment

The Sonos One currently only offers Alexa voice support for Tune-in radio, which does not seem to be supported as one of the radio services with this PI.

I don't know whether or not this is an issue, but if the voice commands favour radio stations on Tune-in, which the PI does not recognise(?), then would that cause any loss of functionality?

Tony
              The PI has never and always supported radio stations and premium channels. It doesn't support it in the sense that you can use the MediaAPI or player control screen to navigate content, but it does support that you can "learn" radiostations/channels by simply playing them. After they are learned, you can select them from the radiostation list and use them to automate (which is what this PI does, it is not a Sonos APP ).

Make sure you are using the PI version that can be found under the Beta section of the updater.

Dirk

Comment

Thank you for those tips and fixes, Dirk.

I don't get Sonos' reasoning in not allowing the One and Play:1 to form a stereo pair. Seems like overkill to need two voice activated speakers to form a pair, but they have gone out of their way to make it so. Even if this was just a software restriction that they could remove, the cosmetic differences between the One and the Play:1 are enough that my wife would object. When I say "object" I mean she'd give me one of those old fashioned looks ... the look that says "you know that's never going to happen" :-)

Tony

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you for those tips and fixes, Dirk.

I don't get Sonos' reasoning in not allowing the One and Play:1 to form a stereo pair. Seems like overkill to need two voice activated speakers to form a pair, but they have gone out of their way to make it so. Even if this was just a software restriction that they could remove, the cosmetic differences between the One and the Play:1 are enough that my wife would object. When I say "object" I mean she'd give me one of those old fashioned looks ... the look that says "you know that's never going to happen" :-)

Tony

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
                  Well they may have gone out of their way not to allow it with their app, the PI doesn't care and I'm going to try it anyway. I suspect the PI in current form would not restrict as I treat Play:1 and SonosOne as the same type of player.

Comment

Originally posted by dcorsus View Post
                    Well they may have gone out of their way not to allow it with their app, the PI doesn't care and I'm going to try it anyway. I suspect the PI in current form would not restrict as I treat Play:1 and SonosOne as the same type of player.
                    That's excellent. I'm relatively new to both Sonos and Homeseer, but I'm loving the technology and the community. Please keep up the great work, and many thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X