Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kinect type VR for Android tablets?

Spud,
    Love the VR portion of your Kinect plug-in. You really nailed how VR should be done...completely hands free. Also, being able to control how we say things for each device is a huge plus. For me, the only drawback is the Kinect itself. Big, bulky, needs a windows machine to work and because of the camera abilities there is NO way I would ever put one in any of the bedrooms, period. That eliminates half the rooms in the house!

So my question is...anyway this can be modified to simply use Android tablets to talk to instead of the Kinect? I have at least one tablet in each room, plus my phone is never far away, it would be amazing to just be able to be near any of them and just talk to turn on/off the lights. JUST like the Kinects, no button pushes at all.

Thoughts?
    Bryan
    Software/Hardware: Win10 Pro, HS 3 Pro, HS Touch, Echo, Edgeport/4, Z-Net w/88 Devices, Insteon PLM w/19 Devices, Nest, GC-100-6, W800RF32A, WS-2080 Weather Station (KMADRACU10)
    Plug-in/Scripts: Alexa API, BLBackup, BLGData, BLLED, BLLock, BLRF, BLTVGuide, Blue Iris, BLUPS, Current Cost 3P, DirectTV, FitbitSeer, Insteon, Nest, Pushover 3P, Random, Restart, Tasker, UltraGCIR3, UltraWeatherWU, Z-Wave

I guess it would be possible to create an Android app that would listen for commands in the background and send them to the Kinect plugin or a stripped down version of the Kinect plugin. But I'm not sure I want to do this for two reasons:

(1) isn't HSTouch supposed to do that already, or at least something similar? I don't want to spend a lot of hours creating something like this, if HST does the same thing or is going to do it.

(2) the microphone in the kinect is actually an array of microphone specifically designed to do VR in open air environment, that's why it works so well. Not sure if it would work very well with an android tablet mic, unless you are very close from the tablet.
    Last edited by spud; August 27, 2014, 08:05 AM.

Comment

HSTouch has this, but there is zero documentation on how to use it. There was a video that Mark posted back at CES this past year, and the icon is there, but nothing on how to use it.
      HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
      54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
      Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

The HSTouch implementation does not work very well on Android and does not exist on the iPhone. One could probably get a better USB mic for the android device, I'd dig using that application. Right now was teetering towards netbooks but Android may be better due to power requirements and other potentials.

Comment

Everything I can find by HS or 3rd party has to have a button push before speaking or after speaking to confirm what was said. If I have to press a button I might as well just press the button for the light!

Nobody else offers a hands free VR option like the Kinect plug-in. No offense to HS intended but we could be waiting a loooong time for this function.

It was worth a shot!
          Bryan
          Software/Hardware: Win10 Pro, HS 3 Pro, HS Touch, Echo, Edgeport/4, Z-Net w/88 Devices, Insteon PLM w/19 Devices, Nest, GC-100-6, W800RF32A, WS-2080 Weather Station (KMADRACU10)
          Plug-in/Scripts: Alexa API, BLBackup, BLGData, BLLED, BLLock, BLRF, BLTVGuide, Blue Iris, BLUPS, Current Cost 3P, DirectTV, FitbitSeer, Insteon, Nest, Pushover 3P, Random, Restart, Tasker, UltraGCIR3, UltraWeatherWU, Z-Wave

Comment

There is a Rasberry PI solution called Jasper that looks promising

Comment

Working...
            X