Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows Kinect for Presence Detection

Hi all,

I'm looking at a couple different methods for presence detection in a room. One of which is this Kinect + plugin for HS3. What I want to do is simple in theory...

Motion detectors blow big meaty chunks when it comes to determining when everyone leaves the room so the lights can be turned off without fear that someone else is left in the room sitting still. Also, motion detectors typically work on a timeout basis meaning that any motion controlled lights are left on after everyone leaves the room until the timeout runs out, this of course waste electricity.

Anyway...I'm very interested in this Kinect solution for this purpose.

Questions:

1. Has anyone used the Windows Kinect + plugin on HS3 for this purpose, and how well does it work?

2. Can this solution count the number of people in the room at any given time, or can it count people as the enter/leave the room and keep a running count to determine when the room is empty and use that as a trigger?

3. Can it distinguish between people and pets?

4. My dedicated HS3 server is in my basement. I want the Kinect sensor in a room on the 3rd floor. Is there a good reliable solution for using the Kinect so far from the server in a room that does not have a computer in it (like the Master bedroom)?

Thanks!

1. Has anyone used the Windows Kinect + plugin on HS3 for this purpose, and how well does it work?
    I will let other users answer this one, as obviously I'm biased

2. Can this solution count the number of people in the room at any given time, or can it count people as the enter/leave the room and keep a running count to determine when the room is empty and use that as a trigger?
    For each kinect the plugin create one device that report the number of people it currently sees.
    If you already have at least one kinect you should try the plugin to see if it can do what you want, and if it can't you can post some additional features you would like to have.

3. Can it distinguish between people and pets?
    it can only detect people

4. My dedicated HS3 server is in my basement. I want the Kinect sensor in a room on the 3rd floor. Is there a good reliable solution for using the Kinect so far from the server in a room that does not have a computer in it (like the Master bedroom)?
    Some users have reported that some extension cable are working fine, see end of this thread:
    http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=166918

Comment

Spud,

Thanks for the response. I really appreciate it. Hopefully others will post about their successes using the Kinect and the software.

Another question for the group.... Has anyone used this in a bedroom? For example, can the Kinect tell if anyone is in bed asleep or otherwise?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by VictorR View Post
        Another question for the group.... Has anyone used this in a bedroom? For example, can the Kinect tell if anyone is in bed asleep or otherwise?
        I doubt this can work reliably, the kinect needs to see at least your upper body, so if you are under a sheet, there is good chances that it won't detect you.

Comment

Working...
        X