Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting variables (via <FileNameNoExt>?) from HomeSeer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting variables (via <FileNameNoExt>?) from HomeSeer?

This plugin is awesome, and it makes HomeSeer interact with the rest of the web. Fantastic!

However, I wish I could get information FROM HomeSeer TO the services somehow. For instance, I have a running gag on Facebook: If it has been raining I post the number of millimeters. I used my own Twitter plugin to do this earlier, but I'd rather like to use IFTTT (it's a bit more advanced)

With IFTTT I can post an image, but I'd like to customize the text as well, and I was wondering if it was possible to use the filename for this. I see that the filename is a random(?) number and it contains the update date.

Could the textfile be named with the variable (device string) I am trying to send?

The device string is this: "5,0 mm"
    The IFTTT action would be this: "/IFTTT/Actions/Rain/$$DTR:323" (for example)

And in IFTTT I could use this text in the Post to Facebook "That":
    "It has been raining <FileNameNoExt> today!"

Is it possible?
    HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
    Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
    on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
    WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

that's a good idea, but I wish there was a way to retrieve the content of a text file from the Dropbox trigger, that way instead of using the file name (which is limited in length and allowed characters) we could pass information from HS to a service using the content of the file.

I posted this as a feature suggestion on the IFTTT website, please ask as well

Comment

Originally posted by spud View Post
      that's a good idea, but I wish there was a way to retrieve the content of a text file from the Dropbox trigger, that way instead of using the file name (which is limited in length and allowed characters) we could pass information from HS to a service using the content of the file.

I posted this as a feature suggestion on the IFTTT website, please ask as well
      Sure, I will!
      I was actually surprised that it was not an option.

But in the mean time..?
      Controlling the entire message from HomeSeer would be the best and would allow me to easily create various messages depending on different statuses, but at the moment I can get by using a variable.
      HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Originally posted by Moskus View Post
        But in the mean time..?
        It's on my TODO list, but that list is quite long...

Comment

It's on my TODO list, but that list is quite long...
          Ah, I understand...

Comment

I see there's a new version of the plugin. It has nothing to do with this, right?

Comment

nope, but you should upgrade anyway as version 3.0.0.3 has made possible almost real time triggers, i.e. delay between the file is written to your dropbox and the HS event is triggered is now almost 0, compared to about 1 or 2 minutes in version 3.0.0.1

Comment

nope, but you should upgrade anyway as version 3.0.0.3 has made possible almost real time triggers, i.e. delay between the file is written to your dropbox and the HS event is triggered is now almost 0, compared to about 1 or 2 minutes in version 3.0.0.1
                Impressive!

Comment

in version 3.0.0.5 available here I have added the possibility to specify the name of file that is going to be written to your dropbox. The only requirement is that it needs to be a .txt file

Click image for larger version

Name:	filename.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	1174523

If you don't see the file field, you need to click the "blue bird" button to switch to advanced mode

Here are the list of replacement variables that can be use: http://homeseer.com/support/homeseer...lp/default.htm

Comment

in version 3.0.0.5 available here I have added the possibility to specify the name of file that is going to be written to your dropbox. The only requirement is that it needs to be a .txt file

[ATTACH]41237[/ATTACH]

If you don't see the file field, you need to click the "blue bird" button to switch to advanced mode

Here are the list of replacement variables that can be use: http://homeseer.com/support/homeseer...lp/default.htm
                    Wow! That is awesome!

Comment

Working...
                    X