Which Google Device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Google Device

So there are the small devices and all the way up to expensive now.. is the extra cost worth it?
    Google Mini
    50.00%
    Google Home
    50.00%
    Google Max
    0.00%
    HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
    So there are the small devices and all the way up to expensive now.. is the extra cost worth it?
    Depends what you want to use them for. If they're just for voice control and interacting with your home automaton systems, then the Google Mini's are all you need. Get a few for all the places you need voice control (upstairs/downstairs etc)

But if you plan to use them as speakers for music the bigger ones are much better. The Max is better than most Bluetooth speakers on the market. Is it worth the extra cost? Only if you really need the speaker.
    If you have an existing audio device, rather get a Mini and a Chromecast Audio. Much cheaper.
    And if you have a few Chromecast Audio dongles, you can turn your existing audio devices into a brilliant multi-room audio system.

You should probably also pick up some Chromecast video dongles.
    The Chromecast devices in tandem with the Home devices provide an excellent solution for automating your media playback (get the Chromecast plug-in for Homeseer as well for awesome automaton options)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

man.. ive been avoiding the chromecasts.. ive got Roku's....

yeah I don't really need superb speakers..

and my onkyo receiver. Just got it plugged back into the lan and updated firmware and now my receiver is toast!!!! I need to figure out how to get it fixed... gotta contact onkyo

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

It depends on what you want to use the device for. I like the Amazon Dots as I find they work better for me out of the box as far as voice recognition and I'm a Google fan. I think Google may catch up in the future though. I only use them for VR to control devices and very little else after having them for a while. I also have Sonos for music so I didn't need these for music so that's a consideration as well. Plus the new Sonos devices have Alexa built in so that's also an option.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I have 2 Squeezebox units and am running Squeezebox Server which I chose over Roku and Sonos for the ability to handle a large audio collection and I still have chromecasts. Video right now. Don't know that I would go with the audio ones but may, depends on how far I go with voice commands. I still have a lot of setup to do with the current capabilities. The HomeSeer integration for lights and events has been easy enough. Just other items I want to automate first.

As for listening to music, for my wife, the sound out of the mini is fine. For me, Acceptable for background music, not if I am straight listening, but then I go to the stereo.
          Karl S
          HS4Pro on Windows 10
          1070 Devices
          56 Z-Wave Nodes
          104 Events
          HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
          Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
            I like the Amazon Dots as I find they work better for me out of the box as far as voice recognition and I'm a Google fan.
            That's interesting, I find it opposite. I have both Amazon Echo and Echo dots, as well as Google Home and Google Minis. I find the Amazon ones you have to yell at more to get them to trigger (sometimes a couple times), and their voice recognition is ok for commands/queries. The Google ones are overly sensitive to "Google" keyword (watching Peppa Pig videos on Youtube with the kids can trigger it even though never said), however the voice recognition seems much more solid for commands/queries.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
              It depends on what you want to use the device for. I like the Amazon Dots as I find they work better for me out of the box as far as voice recognition and I'm a Google fan. I think Google may catch up in the future though. I only use them for VR to control devices and very little else after having them for a while. I also have Sonos for music so I didn't need these for music so that's a consideration as well. Plus the new Sonos devices have Alexa built in so that's also an option.
              well I want it ALL!!!!!! HAH..

I want to control my lights, etc - haven't figured out how to control thermostat yet..

play music
              and whatever else I'm capable of doing.

also from all of my research... the max is better if you play lots of music in say party atmosphere. I was at my brothers and he had a Harman Kardon Onyx Studio 3 and it was pumping out some nice music from his phone.

With the Google Home - It was a breeze to setup, breeze to setup HomeSeer on (albeit I got to setup the speak command for devices and reset), super sensitive to hearing me even if it is playing music.... not one hiccup yet.

only downside to me is lack of Bluetooth which the mini and max have. go figure.. lets create a device and omit Bluetooth and a 3.5mm jack.. duhhhhh

I'm happy so far and going to buy a mini for master bedroom and up to the wife if she wants one in bathroom for music.

my kids are setting reminders, playing music, asking what is the temperature and math questions.. hah...

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
                well I want it ALL!!!!!! HAH..

only downside to me is lack of Bluetooth which the mini and max have. go figure.. lets create a device and omit Bluetooth and a 3.5mm jack.. duhhhhh

They have finally enable bluetooth on the google home. I noticed about a week ago I could connect to my home with my phone and stream music.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhinn View Post
                  They have finally enable bluetooth on the google home. I noticed about a week ago I could connect to my home with my phone and stream music.
                  Are you sure you're talking about the Google Home? It doesn't have Bluetooth, but the mini does.

Comment

Originally posted by claude View Post
                    Are you sure you're talking about the Google Home? It doesn't have Bluetooth, but the mini does.
                    They actually added the ability to connect to the Google Home via bluetooth last August I believe. It always had bluetooth in it, but it was just used for setting it up (I believe)

Comment

For me, I think each one has a different use case. I have a mix of Mini's and normal Google Homes. The mini's go in rooms where either I don't need/want music or they have a zone from my Russound and connected to a Chromecast audio. The google homes are in rooms where we may want music, but just as a background, so the Home is good enough. If we were really into music, I would think the Max would be great for rooms you really want to "listen" to music, but the normal Homes work just fine for us so far.

Off-topic:
                      The great thing about the Chomecast audios is that, for instance, in my master bathroom, I can say "Hey Google, play music in the master bathroom" and it will play it. Using @Spud's chromecast plugin I can turn on the russound zone if it starts streaming and turn it off when it's not. Granted, I can't just say "Hey Google, play some music" with it playing on the mini, but oh well. My hope is to eventually mount those google mini's recessed in the walls.

A very welcome change from google would be to link a mini to a Chromecast Audio for music (since they left off the audio out on the minis).

Comment

Lenovo announced 8" and 10" screens which have Google Assistant built in. If I can use that with HSTouch I would be real happy.
                        Karl S
                        HS4Pro on Windows 10
                        1070 Devices
                        56 Z-Wave Nodes
                        104 Events
                        HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
                        Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
                          They actually added the ability to connect to the Google Home via bluetooth last August I believe. It always had bluetooth in it, but it was just used for setting it up (I believe)
                          Yep, you're right. I just paired my phone by saying "Hey Google, bluetooth pairing". I've also read about doing the pairing from 'settings' on the Home.

As much as I love the GH thing, I personally HATE Google's approach on specifications and operating instructions. Specifications are incomplete (no mention of Bluetooth for the Home) and the operating instructions seem to target 7 year old kids that got a cell for Christmas.

Comment

Working...
                          X