No announcement yet.

PFSense Firewall Group purchase interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Done and thank you for your interest Michael.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Hi, Pete. Please add me to the list. Thanks for doing this!

Dave

Comment

@pete, I saw this and thought of your post.

https://www.extremetech.com/computin...e-raspberry-pi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you for your interest DaveW32.

I have added you to the list in the OP.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thank you Kerat!

Currently here using a BCM motherboard for my PFSense box with one four port NIC plus two built in NICs.

Updated this motherboard CPU to fastest core duo that I can utilize while concurrently updating motherboard to a Haswell Chipset - cheapo way.

Current PFSense HW:
            Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Extreme CPU X9100 @ 3.06GHz
            2 CPUs: 1 package(s) x 2 core(s)
            Updated from fastest core duo to core duo extreme for $10. Might go trying a a Core2 quad any how...

Soon to be cheapo way:
            Processor information Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4130 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 4 cores
            This is now considered legacy and is cheap to get.

Meanwhile waiting for a good priced 4 port mini box firewall that I can install inside of my Leviton 42" can and sharing this in a bulk group purchase.

The J1900's are still being sold as new stuff and way too high these days. I can bulk purchase the motherboards now for $80...but it's legacy and really is not worth the effort.

Relating to the ARM stuff I can today utilize a two port (not enough) Rock64 with 4Gb for a simple two port firewall which I do not want (want at least 4 ports and ideally 6 ports for my Internet tinker toys).

I think now though there will be delays relating to the current designs of the current Intel / AMD CPU's which will further delay this group buy.

Last edited by Pete; January 24, 2018, 08:08 AM.
            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Pete, I have UniFi APs and just purchased a switch. I expect that we will eventually go with a USG. Based on this decision, please take me off the list. Thanks for putting this together, I certainly appreciate your time.
              Billy

Comment

Same here Pete - I have since purchased a commercial firewall product. Thanks for your time.

Comment

Comment

Pete, please remove me from the list. I decided to go with a commercial solution. I appreciate your effort in trying to put this together.

Comment

@pete

Even if a group purchase doesn't happen, you have inspired many others to take action to improve their network security. Me included. When I was having problems with pfSense on the Qotom, , you jumped in there to help me. Many thanks on several levels!

Robert

Comment

+1 to that. @pete has pointed me to some pretty cool features that PFSense can support.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Here started learning this stuff at work in the 1990's-early 2000's as the global enterprise network utilized no firewalls and we all had public IP addresses and I had to manage those IP addresses at that time. No DHCP was utilized the router tables were managed by hand long math way; big and very slow routers.

First work Internet group / subdivision of the corporate face to the Internet was interesting.

The Internet group went to a different building and they got anything they wanted including ping pong and pool tables and very much configured like a college dormitory that worked on the internet 24/7.
                          Last edited by Pete; January 29, 2018, 11:42 AM.
                          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Decided not to wait for a new mini PFSense box here upgrading old PFSense firewall.

New hardware will be:

Haswell based commercial style motherboard with 32Gb of RAM and an i5 with built in 2 Gb Intel NICs and 1-2 4 port server style Intel Gb NICs and hopefully fitting this in to a low profile mini case.

ISP currently is cable with a secondary LTE / 3G backup. May go to using a secondary ISP here using copper.

Note this endeavor is going to cost more than current crop of mini pcs with 4 NICs.

Future may be a NUC sized 4 - 6 port Skylake CPU based mini PC for PFSense.
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

PFSense Firewall Group purchase interest

Pete,

Is there a link for the hardware you're considering? Also what is the expected price point for such a beast? I don't believe the sub $100.00 was achievable for a fully equipped unit to be honest.

Comment

awesome

I've been reading and watching ..... like many wanting to improve the firewall ... please continue to post ...It's been educational and I also want to improve security here ...

My problem is VPN service on a router ,

I have Infinity service with 150Mb service, I run VPN on an ASUS router with Sabai OS it cuts the service down to 12 MB the router doesn't have the horsepower to provide internet speed due to VPN. I have a suspicion that a good processor with ports running pfsense would fix this speed issue and provide a better firewall.

Sorry if this was off topic

Devoir

Comment

Working...
                                X