Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need General Help

hi all,

first of all, let me introduce myself. my name is marco, an i am from germany. i hope my english is good enough for u to understand.

me and my girlfriend are going to buy a house. i want to automatise (well i suppose THAT word does not exist) everything in our new home. i want to use the different x10 components and the homeseer software.

my questions are as follows:

1. i do not have that big problem with the english language, but my girlfriend does not speak a single word. therefore it would be much easier if we could "communicate" with our house in our native language. how do i do that? and more important, is it possible?

2. any german guys around with experiences with the software?

3. i would like to do all the commands "to the house" using microphone. the problem i see on the practical side of view, is how to manage using more than one mic. for example if i am siting in the livingroom late at night and my girlfriend is in bed. giving commands to the mic in the livingroom, would bring the "yes sir " commands from homeseer to all speakers in the house?! Hope u understand what i mean.
    3. a.) any of u with experiences with , let's say 10 microphones in the house

4. would like to get some advice, such like "this u have to use", "do not forget this and that"

5. how can i manage the radiators in all the rooms?

puhhh, that was it for now.

sorry for asking sooo many questions, but from my point of view, it is not easy to find a real good documentation "out there" which would anwser all my questions.

thanks in advance for all the help u r going to give me

marco

p.s. i hope my english is not that hard to understand. if so...........sorry for that

Marco,

WELCOME!

Your English is quite good, so there is no need for apologies. You communicate very well.

1.) and 2.) I cannot answer your questions about having German VR (voice recognition), so I"m hoping someone else will chime in.

3.) Please take a look at posts by Paul Koslow on this item. Here's an example post: http://forums.homeseer.com/showthrea...ighlight=ap800. In order to support multiple microphones, you will need to get a microphone mixer. The really good mixers will cancel out background noise, and will let only one microphone be active at a time (fillibuster mode). But, you do have other options. You can have a computer in each room, with each one running a separate copy of the Speaker application. The Speaker applications would forward the commands to a different machine running HomeSeer. Another option would be to use cordless phones to issue commands.

No matter how you are able to get the VR commands to the HomeSeer box, at present, I don't believer there is an easy way to determine which room gave the command, and have the HS box send the response just to that location. The announcements would be made globally across the house.

4.) Please send a note to Paul for advice on hardware. He seems very, very knowledgeable.

5.) I don't know what you'd need in order to control radiators.

Sorry I couldn't answer very many questions!

--David

Comment

Would this idea work?????????????

i am still thinking about solving the problem with the different speakers in the house as mentioned above.

i was laying in bed yesterday night, and i could not get the problem out of my mind.

the following idea i had , please tell me what u think, would it work!?!?!

for this example, let us asume i have 4 rooms. in each room i will have a mic and a speaker. the problem would be, that all spoken comand replys from homeseer would be heard in all rooms.

if i put a switch to each loudspeaker, and attach a x10 switch on it icould apply the following commands :

speaker ON
      speaker OFF
      all speakers ON
      all speakers OFF

so, i would go in the living room. with the speaker switched off, i then give the command "computer"................." switch on the speaker in the living room"...........

from that moment on, the speaker in the living room would work, and all the others would be switched off.

hope u understand what i mean. will this work properly, or do i have some kind of "wrong way thinking" in my planning?

would be great to get some replys from u.

thanks in advance

marco

Comment

The problem is inpedence matching.

If you wire many speakers to one amplifier, you have to calculate the resulting impedence. If it's too low, your amplifier may be destroyed.

I think there is one cheap X10 device with one source, and several outputs, and you can control each speaker output level with X10 commands.

I can't find it anymore but I will search a little more for it. It was in a Hong Kong internet shop.

stipus
        --
        stipus

Comment

I found this : http://www.hacs.com/ess.html

... but this is not the "cheap one" I found once. I keep searching.

stipus
          --
          stipus

Comment

Working...
          X