Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to Monitor Interior Doors (Open/Closed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Monitor Interior Doors (Open/Closed)

What are some ways of monitoring the open/closed status of interior doors?

I was thinking of wiring these to the Caddx alarm system and then of course having it report their status to Homeseer.

But can these be configured in the alarm system as something that would only be monitored and not something that would trigger the alarm?

I'd hate to have the siren unexpectedly start blaring just because I opened the bathroom door...

Thanks,
    -Gabriel

How about wiring normal magnetic switches (reed switches) to a gamepad and use the gameport plugin.

here

Plug in here

Comment

I use x10 DS10A wireless security door/window sensors on all my windows and doors (including closets and bathrooms). The WGL W800RF32A connected to my HS PC receives all door open/close state changes.

It's easy to stock up on DS10As when they show up for $20/3 or similar deals.

Comment

Yes, you can program the Caddx NX-8e to have some zones that are status-only for the interior doors, but you will probably have to change one of the default zone types to keep it from setting off the alarm when armed. I believe you will want to make it an Interior automatic bypass zone at all times, but allow it to report status all the time.

You could also set up the interior zones in the group bypass mode, and then always use the Bypass button when arming the system.

Or just hook the magnetic switches on each door up to a hacked X10 MS13A motion sensor...
        |
        | - Gordon

"I'm a Man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." - Man's Prayer, Possum Lodge, The Red Green Show
        HiddenGemStudio.com - MaineMusicians.org - CunninghamCreativeMaine.website

Comment

I am using the gameport plugin to monitor my doors and windows in my house and it works great!!

Just my 0.02
          Cheers,
          Bob
          Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

I was debating doing this at my house also, I have enough room in my Caddx to hook them up there. You can configure the Zone type as Gordon mentioned earlier, isn't hard to do.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blade:
              I am using the gameport plugin to monitor my doors and windows in my house and it works great!!
              Just my 0.02 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>How many can you monitor with this method?

I'd like to be able to monitor 12 interior doors.

If this can be done, please give me some details as to how... I'm a newbie at this stuff...

Thanks...

Comment

If you don't already have the interface to connect the door sensors to, take a look at the Ocelot and SECU16I modules. It's a very good interface for this kind of input and it's well supported by HomeSeer. The SECU16 would allow you to monitor up to 16 doors (or your 12 doors and 4 other devices like motion detectors).

http://www.appdig.com/adicon_new/ocelot.htm
                http://www.appdig.com/adicon_new/secu16i.htm

Comment

Is the Ocelot required? Or can the SECU16 be used separately?

Also, how do you connect either of these units to a Homeseer PC?

Comment

Yes both are required for it to work.
                    The Ocelot will give you alot of other options to including IR.

WHen you buy the Ocelot it comes with a serial cable. THe SECU16 is attached to the Ocelot via wire, like cat5.

I'm in the process of setting this up myself.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Warez:
                      How many can you monitor with this method?

I'd like to be able to monitor 12 interior doors. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

With Electron's Gameport monitor this is easily do-able. I think E is using 36 inputs on his. The trick is to get the 4-port GamePort USB adapter on Ebay. I think it was under $15 for the unit woth 4 gameports, which give 16 digital inputs. I was using one until it died or got nailed with a surge or lightning or something. For now I am living with 4 inputs using the gameport on my soundcard.

Comment

You can monitor with Napco Gemini 9600 too.

Comment

Working...
                        X