Far away Zone Player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Far away Zone Player

Hi Dirk, Hope all is well. Thanks again for one of my favorite plug-ins.

Recently I added my 15th zone to my system, it is in our horse barn located about 1/2 mile from our main house. I used a great long distance wifi solutions from Ayrstone Productivity who specialize in wifi for farms etc. It works great.

The sonos iphone controller has no issue running the zoneplayer except for it seems to have a slower than normal discovery period when you load the iphone app. Once loaded all works fine.

The Sonos Plugin just wont discover the zone at all. Can I increase the discovery wait time or maybe hardcode the zoneplayer into the plugin?

thanks as always.

mark

Originally posted by markesdale View Post
    Hi Dirk, Hope all is well. Thanks again for one of my favorite plug-ins.

Recently I added my 15th zone to my system, it is in our horse barn located about 1/2 mile from our main house. I used a great long distance wifi solutions from Ayrstone Productivity who specialize in wifi for farms etc. It works great.

The sonos iphone controller has no issue running the zoneplayer except for it seems to have a slower than normal discovery period when you load the iphone app. Once loaded all works fine.

The Sonos Plugin just wont discover the zone at all. Can I increase the discovery wait time or maybe hardcode the zoneplayer into the plugin?

thanks as always.

mark
    Not quite sure why that wouldn't work.

Even with the 9 seconds (hardcoded in the Windows UPNP COM component) discovery time, it should be plenty of time. Have you tried to ping the Sonos player from your HS PC?

I did a quick search on Google for the extender, it all looks pretty kosher to me, unless there are any peculiar settings. Does it have its own IP range (and DHCP server) or all is 100% transparent to your home router? UPNP makes use of broadcasts, so they don't traverse network segments but the fact that the Sonos Controller can figure this out (unless it is reachable through their wireless network and not from your HS PC) seems to indicate that the extender works properly, maybe not reachable from your HS PC.

Unfortunately, I can't think off a way to manually add a controller. Maybe what you can do, take the new player, set it in the house next to your other players, let the PI discover it, and them move the player to the barn. However, if there is a network/reachability issue then this won't work but worth a try.

Dirk

Comment

Working...
    X