Send Alexa TTS commands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Send Alexa TTS commands

Is it on the development schedule to allow Homeseer to send commands to Alexa to speak instead of/in addition to using the homeseer speaker app? Is this even possible?

Amazon currently only allows responses to requests issued via Alexa. You cannot send stuff to Alexa. Rumors that will be changing.

tenholde
    tenholde

Comment

Perhaps not quite what is being asked, but...

I have the old HomeSeer WFTT07 Android tabletop touchscreen, which I use with the HSTouch app. And HS3 can send TTS to the speaker in this device.

Since it is sitting next to my Amazon Echo, I tried sending:
      <voice required="name = Microsoft Mike"> A lexa, what is the weather?

And my Echo unit responded with a weather report!

I had to specifically place a space in "A_lexa" to get Alexa to recognize the wake word. But now I've sent dozens of TTS commands, and they have all worked fine.

I'm using a HS3Pro running Windows XP (which is why I used the old Microsoft Mike voice).

Not a perfect solution, but working much better than I ever expected...

Oh, and for fun, I had my HomeSeer send a 'command' to Alexa, which Alexa then processed through the HomeSeer 'skill' to control the HomeSeer system.

"A lexa, Turn Movie Mode on"
      Where 'Movie Mode' is a virtual device I created so that it can trigger events.

Alexa said, "OK", and then the "Event" executed on my HS3 system, setting the lights for watching a movie.

Why did I try this in the first place?
      Because now I can have HomeSeer events run in the morning to:
      - "Play Music" (And my Echo starts playing music)
      - "What is the weather?" (And my Echo gives me a weather report)

Perhaps someone else will find this useful...

(BTW, I had to use the "Mike" voice for this to work, the echo would not recognize the "Mary" voice.)

Comment

That's how I ordered my first Dot. You had to order them via Echo and I was at work. Set up an event to have my WFTT07 v2 say "Alexa, order Echo Dot" and then "Yes" to confirm and it worked perfectly.
        cheeryfool

Comment

win 10 updates

Has any one figured how to turn off Microsoft win10 updates . It screws up HS3 and sometime it does a restart. If I'm out of town I don't have access . I 'running HS3 on a small computer with nothing else . It runs well until ms win attacks.

Comment

Just stop and disable the Windows Update service. Then when you're ready, activate it, get the update, apply, reboot, disable the service.

Robert
            HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Has anything changed on this?

I'd love to have the ability to use an Echo device to query for occupancy.

As in, have it ask "Hello? Is anyone still using this space?"

Basically to 'clean up' the basement rec room when the kids are no longer in there and have left all the lights, tv and game consoles powered on...

Comment

Originally posted by wkearney99 View Post
                Has anything changed on this?

I'd love to have the ability to use an Echo device to query for occupancy.

As in, have it ask "Hello? Is anyone still using this space?"

Basically to 'clean up' the basement rec room when the kids are no longer in there and have left all the lights, tv and game consoles powered on...
                Have you seen this option to make two dots an intercom system?
                https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/26/1...vices-dot-show
                💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                  Have you seen this option to make two dots an intercom system?
                  https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/26/1...vices-dot-show
                  Well, yeah, but intercom is not what I'm after. I'm looking to have HS be able to have an Echo unit ask a yes/no question and handle the response. As in "Hello, is anyone still here in the basement?" and if yes, do nothing. If no response then run a HS event to turn off the lights and shutdown AV gear.

Comment

Well, yeah, but intercom is not what I'm after. I'm looking to have HS be able to have an Echo unit ask a yes/no question and handle the response. As in "Hello, is anyone still here in the basement?" and if yes, do nothing. If no response then run a HS event to turn off the lights and shutdown AV gear.
                    If you are happy to use the Homeseer Automation skill (Ask Homeseer......), you can use my Echo Skill Helper to do this: https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=184504
                    Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
                      If you are happy to use the Homeseer Automation skill (Ask Homeseer......), you can use my Echo Skill Helper to do this: https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=184504
                      I've set up the HS skill (I call mine "the house", as in "Alexa ask the house..."

But since the skill published the devices (lutron ra2 via that HS plug-in) I don't often find myself needing/wanting to use the skill syntax. That and I couldn't find much HS documentation about what syntax it supports. I'd welcome pointers to THAT!

Are you saying your skill helper will allow the HS program itself to initiate a response on an Alexa device? As in, an HS event notices there an idle situation in a given area, and can then send an audible query to a specific alexa device, and process a response?

Because that's really what I'm after, use HS as a way to monitor occupancy from a variety of different inputs (av usage, network activity, motion sensors, time of day, etc) and use that to make device changes.

Occupancy is a very difficult thing to track with 100% accuracy. Turn the lights off on people sitting idle on a couch or in an office and you greatly impair the wife acceptance factor. But in the event that I did manage to refine the detection 'well enough' I'd like to use audio and voice recog responses as a confirmation. Using an Alexa device seems like the perfect solution, provided I can initiate a 'conversation' programmatically from HS, and not just depend on the device being woken up via local voice recog.

Comment

Details of the syntax for both skills can be found here: https://homeseer.com/amazon-alexa-integration/

Are you saying your skill helper will allow the HS program itself to initiate a response on an Alexa device? As in, an HS event notices there an idle situation in a given area, and can then send an audible query to a specific alexa device, and process a response?
                        No, you have to ask Alexa first before you get a response but that response can be anything you want including a query on occupancy (if you have virtual devices etc which determine that). Look at the YouTube video on my first post for the helper which shows an example of Alexa/Homeseer feedback controlling a Coffee machine.
                        Jon

Comment

Right, I get that but it wasn't what I was asking to perform. Thanks though, it does look like an interesting helper option.

Meanwhile I'll have to keep looking for a solution that allows HS to initiate an Alexa conversation.

Comment

OK, yes, it looks like I misread your post. You can connect via Bluetooth using a HSSpeaker output.....
                            Jon

Comment

Sadly, Alexa doesn't support this after all this time.

Comment

Working...
                              X