Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things that can be done with HS before having an actual Zwave stick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just ordered HS3, waiting for the HomeSeer Smartstick to arrive.

I'd like to get a head start and getting the system up and running. I've gone through the basics from the quickstart guide. Is it just a waiting game now or is there anything else I can do?

Originally posted by dannieboiz View Post

I'd like to get a head start and getting the system up and running. I've gone through the basics from the quickstart guide. Is it just a waiting game now or is there anything else I can do?
    If you are only going to have Z-Wave devices then there is probably little you can do with the software, I would personally I think read Randy's rather excellent event tutorials in the Event Clinic forum to get your head around the options available in the event triggers which is likely what you will get the most functionality out of.

Comment

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
      If you are only going to have Z-Wave devices then there is probably little you can do with the software, I would personally I think read Randy's rather excellent event tutorials in the Event Clinic forum to get your head around the options available in the event triggers which is likely what you will get the most functionality out of.
      Here are things that I have plans for. Moving from Vera to HS.

GH intergration
      Echo Integration
      Imperihome

Comment

Here are things that I have plans for. Moving from Vera to HS.

GH intergration
        Echo Integration
        Imperihome

What is GH?
        Originally posted by rprade
        There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
          What is GH?
          Sorry... Google Home

Comment

Weather monitor
            1. Setup a notifications system
            Based on recommendations from IRL friends I use pushover and pushover 3p.
            2. Setup occupancy awareness
            Based on recommendations from IRL friends I use PHLocation.
            3. Setup house modes.
            Based on recommendations from IRL friends I use multiple virtual devices to help divide events based on block of in a day, weekdays versus weekends, occupancy, cleaning/maintenance, holidays, etc.
            4. Determine what type of human activated interface you want (panels with buttons, phones, echos, assistants, Zwave remotes, scene capable switches and dinners)
            5. Monitor your Internet WAN.
            6. monitor network devices.

HS3 is a not reliant on the cloud for the event engine. This means that you have a local DB and application that runs on your network. Power failures and other variables can cause application and or DB corruption. You should work to design an environment with appropriate power backup, that can shutdown the system gracefully in the event of compete battery discharge. Then develop and tests a backup procedure and test it regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Kerat View Post
              Weather monitor
              1. Setup a notifications system
              Based on recommendations from IRL friends I use pushover and pushover 3p.
              2. Setup occupancy awareness
              Based on recommendations from IRL friends I use PHLocation.
              3. Setup house modes.
              Based on recommendations from IRL friends I use multiple virtual devices to help divide events based on block of in a day, weekdays versus weekends, occupancy, cleaning/maintenance, holidays, etc.
              4. Monitor your Internet WAN.
              5. monitor network devices.

HS3 is a not reliant on the cloud for the event engine. This means that you have a local DB and application that runs on your network. Power failures and other variables can cause application and or DB corruption. You should work to design an environment with appropriate power backup, that can shutdown the system gracefully in the event of compete battery discharge. Then develop and tests a backup procedure and test it regularly.

I'm actually setting p weather as we speak, using weatherXML plugin, is that what everyone uses? . What's IRL friends? I didn't understand half of the things you said from 1-5 that's how new I am to HS.

At the moment, I'm running HS on my HTPC that's on 24/7. It's an i7 6700 with 16gb of ram that does nothing for me these days but web browsing. It's aon a UPS. Acronis backup runs every evening.

Comment

Set up BLBackup.

Do you have a smart phone? If so use PHLocation for letting HS know where you are.

Use jon00's remote computer control and network monitor to keep an eye on who's on your network.

Do you use Windows? If so you might want to look at the Event Ghost plugin.

That soooooo much you can do!

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
                  Set up BLBackup.

Do you have a smart phone? If so use PHLocation for letting HS know where you are.

Use jon00's remote computer control and network monitor to keep an eye on who's on your network.

Do you use Windows? If so you might want to look at the Event Ghost plugin.

That soooooo much you can do!
                  Yes windows and yes Smart phone - Android. Definitely some great pointers so far.

Comment

I'm actually setting p weather as we speak. What's IRL friends? I didn't understand half of the things you said from 1-5 that's how new I am to HS.

At the moment, I'm running HS on my HTPC that's on 24/7. It's an i7 6700 with 16gb of ram that does nothing for me these days but web browsing. It's aon a UPS. Acronis backup runs every evening.

Ah sorry, it means "In real life".

1. HS3 can notify when something happens. This can be done through:
                    A. TTS (text to speech) systems on windows.
                    B. Email to a phone or another email address.
                    C. To a third party notification system like "pushover" or pushbullet. Those systems have apps for smart devices and send you the notification through their cloud services to the app on your phone.

Let me get home and I can enumerate the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerat View Post
                      Ah sorry, it means "In real life".

1. HS3 can notify when something happens. This can be done through:
                      A. TTS (text to speech) systems on windows.
                      B. Email to a phone or another email address.
                      C. To a third party notification system like "pushover" or pushbullet. Those systems have apps for smart devices and send you the notification through their cloud services to the app on your phone.

That's exactly what I will do... if it can do TTS over GH this would even be better.

Comment

That's exactly what I will do... if it can do TTS over GH this would even be better.

I think that can be done with the chromecast plugin but am not certain.

Comment

If you are starting I would recommend the following:

Create a document that describes the wifi -LAN network and IP address of what you have..
                          document how things are connected,
                          Document what events you have or why you created them in such a way...

I have gone many times to read my documentation to understand what I did or why I did it in a certain way...

I am attaching 2 documents, one is a diagram of what I have and another is a word document that goes into details of events, IP addresses, images, explanations, user id's, pwd...etc..etc.

Let me know if you would like the non pdf editable versions and I will send them directly.

Welcome
                          Chris
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by clafa View Post
                            If you are starting I would recommend the following:

Create a document that describes the wifi -LAN network and IP address of what you have..
                            document how things are connected,
                            Document what events you have or why you created them in such a way...

I have gone many times to read my documentation to understand what I did or why I did it in a certain way...

I am attaching 2 documents, one is a diagram of what I have and another is a word document that goes into details of events, IP addresses, images, explanations, user id's, pwd...etc..etc.

Let me know if you would like the non pdf editable versions and I will send them directly.

Welcome
                            Chris
                            Thanks, I actually already have my network graphed and documented but how does that tie into homeseer?

Comment

Welcome stranger!

Comment

Working...
                              X