Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I start investigating delays?

Hi all,

There are delays in some cases - how can I start investigating?

eg: 90% of the time, motion > lights turning on/off works perfectly. This morning, I walked out, sensor flashed, but nothing happened.
    Went downstairs, same thing.
    Went back up stairs, downstairs light turned on and as I went past the upstairs sensor, upstairs turned on.

I couldnt track it in the log by the time I got a chance to look as there was so much already logged -something I am slowly unchecking in devices... but if I remember correctly, when I did have a brief glance, it did act/show the device turning on...even if it did not.

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by aj84 View Post
    I couldnt track it in the log by the time I got a chance to look as there was so much already logged
    Can you explain what you mean here? The log is the place to track this sort of behavior. It is stored in a database and should provide at least several days worth of history of event sequences. (BTW, turning off logging can be a severe hindered to troubleshooting unless you are careful to turn off logging only for events that may not cause a problem.)

To access the appropriate time period you may have to adjust the date filter at the top and click on the arrow at the bottom a few times to view the relevant part of the log.
    Attached Files
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

To be honest, I thought over-logging might slow things down. The only things I turned off logging was on the UPS plug as it was reporting a change in consumption a lot as expected and maybe a couple of similar other devices.

But more importantly, I think I am going crazy - I checked two in the last two days and could not filter for "today". While the log showed todays events, the filter was only possible for the day before. But just now I've checked and sure enough it's there.

I will report back the instant it happens again now that I can filter more

Comment

What hardware are you using to detect motion?
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Most are Fibaro Motion sensors with one being an aeotec motion sensor 6 or whatever it is.

It is entirely possible the motion sensors are on their way out - I have had them for a year + but don't remember the random delays when using the Fibaro HC2.

Comment

This user reported delays that were caused by the Aeotec Mulitsensor 6 sensor. After adjusting the parameters the delays were eliminated.

https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=191724

Comment

I just learned to live with delays. And found workarounds. My plug in on/off modules are most of the time instant, but can be 10 sometimes 15 seconds delayed. Can be annoying, when I run a macro to turn on TV (turns the power on via a on/off module), then changes inputs etc via Global Cache IR. If there is a delay, the TV turns on but all of the IR commands get lost. Solution, an event watching the power reporting of the TV module... that then works out when the TV is on, then once its on runs the IR macro... not ideal but does the job.
              That is until my power reporting gets stuck. Then its back to exclude and include the module. Sometimes I would like to take a hammer to the system...

Comment

Comment

I eliminated my delays with the Aeotec sensors by excluding the sensor, then moving it to directly beside my z-net and including again.

Finally, I moved it to its final resting spot and it has functioned without delay. I am on USB power not battery.

Comment

Try turning off all polling of your Z-Wave devices and see if that helps? Also what hardware are you running HS3 on?

Comment

Slight update - this is not motion sensor related.
                      This morning everything was working fine but then a blip again.

I told Alexa to turn on the TV upstairs (its just a TKB Plug). Logs:
                      08:10:29
                      Device: Upstairs Master Bedroom TV to On (255) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
                      I then told Alexa to turn shower light off

08:12:24 Device: Upstairs Shower Shower Light to Off (0) by/from: CAPI Control Handler

Neither of them did the action.
                      Finally
                      At 08:12:26, the logs popped up with
                      Failed sending Z-Wave command to device: Upstairs Master Bedroom TV

Finally at 08:15:04 the TV plug turned on and since then, everythings working fine again.

It's almost like something is going to sleep but it's very random.

I'm using a Aeotec Z-stick Gen 5 with HS3Pro (latest)

Comment

I also get frequent zwave erros like this:

Dec-13 09:48:40 Z-Wave Error Failed sending Z-Wave command to device: Lights Garden Drive lighs Dec-13 09:48:39 Z-Wave Error Failed sending Z-Wave command to device: Lights Garden Drive lighs

no idea what to do about them. Would be good if there is a way of finding out what is causing this. Sometimes when these errors happen, the status of the device is unknown (for example the Plinth lights sink below). Half an hour later its working again and the status is displayed correctly again. Sometimes these devices still respond though. Occasionally turning them on and off manually restores the device status being displayed correctly, and also that can trigger them to work again.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by aj84 View Post
                          Slight update - this is not motion sensor related.
                          This morning everything was working fine but then a blip again.

I told Alexa to turn on the TV upstairs (its just a TKB Plug). Logs:
                          08:10:29
                          Device: Upstairs Master Bedroom TV to On (255) by/from: CAPI Control Handler
                          I then told Alexa to turn shower light off

08:12:24 Device: Upstairs Shower Shower Light to Off (0) by/from: CAPI Control Handler

Neither of them did the action.
                          Finally
                          At 08:12:26, the logs popped up with
                          Failed sending Z-Wave command to device: Upstairs Master Bedroom TV

Finally at 08:15:04 the TV plug turned on and since then, everythings working fine again.

It's almost like something is going to sleep but it's very random.

I'm using a Aeotec Z-stick Gen 5 with HS3Pro (latest)

Have you tried turning off all Z-Wave polling? What hardware are you running HS3 on?

Comment

Hi Rupp,

How do I turn it off for all devices?

Hardware: sorry I thought I responded above, it's a Aeotec Z-stick (the white one)

I have/had a hunch last night that it could be the setup in that I am using a software USB mapping tool as I'm running this on a VM (I raised another thread about this) and maybe thats slowing it down and I may transfer all of this onto a dedicated laptop. But this morning, everythings run perfectly with 0 delays for a good 20 mins of activating z-wave devices (bathroom, landing lights, opening/closing gates etc)

Comment

I think there might be a problem with the zwave .173 beta. I came home last night and all outside lights were on (supposed to have been off). Trying to turn them off, it didn't work. I logged into my HS3 and all my lights (15 devices) were red, status unknown. In the morning, I found out a couple of events which should have run and turned other things on/off didn't do that either. As it was very late in the night (and after our xmas party) I did not really have a chance to look any closer into this. All I could see with a quick look the zwave command queue was 16. I restarted HS3, and all devices came only again

Current Date/Time: 15/12/2017 09:08:02
                              HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368
                              Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - Work Station
                              System Uptime: 0 Days 8 Hours 45 Minutes 9 Seconds
                              IP Address: 192.168.0.205
                              Number of Devices: 709
                              Number of Events: 414
                              Available Threads: 398

Enabled Plug-Ins
                              2.0.40.0: BLGData
                              2.0.35.0: BLLAN
                              2.0.70.0: BLStat
                              3.1.1.24385: Blue-Iris
                              0.0.0.25: drhsIpPlugIn
                              3.0.0.40: EasyTrigger
                              5.0.0.56: Global Cache Pro