HS3 as MODBUS Gateway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gaz,
    Did the info I sent you provide any insights to why the PI is not working for me?
    Bill

Comment

Modbus RTU communications to Kyocera Click PCL

Gaz,

Hoping you can help me understand the plugin better. I am currently working to setup Homeseer to communicate via modbus to a Kyocera Click PLC. I have Homeseer setup on a windows pc with the Modbus plugin installed. The Click PLC has a direct Modbus port output RS485 serial. I have setup the Modbus RTU config, it is running. Have setup various Modbus devices.

My confusion is on the available modbus devices in the plugin. I am sure this is my lack of understanding on the descriptions and also possibly the Click PLC modbus mapping also. To help could you please define the 4 configuration options for a Modbus device and how they are expected to work and respond.

Discrete Input (RO) - I presume a read only from the PLC? - Digital
      Coil (RW) - I presume a read or wite (or read only if defined as read only) to/from the PLC - digital
      Input Register (RO) - I presume a read only from the PLC - analogue
      Holding Register (RW) _ I presume a read or write (or read only if defined as read only) to/from the PLC - analogue

The Kyocera Click PLC is very well defined in the programming software for information mapping - how is the Plugin mapping setup for mapping. I ask this because I have had to resort to using the Coil (RW) option to get any digital read or write working from the PLC. The Discrete Input (RO) option seemed to provide erroneous results or did not work.

I suspect this may be a Modbus mapping mismatch from the Click PLC perspective. Your help to understand the plugin side of the communications would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil View Post
        Gaz,

My confusion is on the available modbus devices in the plugin. I am sure this is my lack of understanding on the descriptions and also possibly the Click PLC modbus mapping also. To help could you please define the 4 configuration options for a Modbus device and how they are expected to work and respond.

Discrete Input (RO) - I presume a read only from the PLC? - Digital
        Coil (RW) - I presume a read or wite (or read only if defined as read only) to/from the PLC - digital
        Input Register (RO) - I presume a read only from the PLC - analogue
        Holding Register (RW) _ I presume a read or write (or read only if defined as read only) to/from the PLC - analogue
        All correct so far. Some manufacturers put all of their registers into the "Holding Register" space, even if they are read-only, so you'll see the PI has an option to assign Holding Register a "RO" attribute to handle this.

The Kyocera Click PLC is very well defined in the programming software for information mapping - how is the Plugin mapping setup for mapping. I ask this because I have had to resort to using the Coil (RW) option to get any digital read or write working from the PLC. The Discrete Input (RO) option seemed to provide erroneous results or did not work.
        Let me see if I follow the question. You're asking why when you try to read a RO digital register, that using DI does not work but using "Coil" does? That's likely due to the issue I mentioned earlier about some manufacturers not playing "Exactly" by the modbus rules.

Can you point me towards the documentation for your device? If using Coil rather than DI works (then set your coil devices in HS3 to read-only) then you should be fine.
        Author of Highpeak Plugins | SMS-Gateway Plugin | Blue Iris Plugin | Paradox (Beta) Plugin | Modbus Plugin | Yamaha Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by BillBeauvais View Post
          Gaz,
          Did the info I sent you provide any insights to why the PI is not working for me?
          Bill
          Gaz
          I just emailed you the PI log file from an SEL controller that I borrowed, which has the same communications problem (unreachable). I'm not sure if my emails are getting to you so please let me know. I can also be reached at wbeauvais@cox.net

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by beerygaz View Post
            All correct so far. Some manufacturers put all of their registers into the "Holding Register" space, even if they are read-only, so you'll see the PI has an option to assign Holding Register a "RO" attribute to handle this.

Let me see if I follow the question. You're asking why when you try to read a RO digital register, that using DI does not work but using "Coil" does? That's likely due to the issue I mentioned earlier about some manufacturers not playing "Exactly" by the modbus rules.

Can you point me towards the documentation for your device? If using Coil rather than DI works (then set your coil devices in HS3 to read-only) then you should be fine.
            Gaz,
            Thanks for the response - information requested below.

Format
            Input Type - I/O Code - type - Modbus start address - funcion codes - modbus end address

Field Input - X - bit - 100001 - 02 - 100272
            Field Output - Y - bit - 8193 - 01,05,15 - 8464
            Internal Control relay - C - bit - 16385 - 01,05,15 - 18305
            Internal Timer - T - bit - 145057 - 02 - 145477
            Internal Couter - CT - bit - 149153 - 02 - 149373
            System Control Relay - SC - 161441 - 02 - 162361
            Data Register - DS - Int - 400001 - 03, 06, 16 - 404021
            Data Register - DD - Int2 - 416385 - 03, 06, 16 - 418225
            Data Register - DH - Hex - 424577 - 03, 06, 16 - 424997
            Data Register - DF - Float - 428673 - 03, 06, 16 - 429513
            Input Register - XD - Hex - 357345 - 04 - 357361
            Output Register - YD - Hex - 457857 - 03, 06, 16 - 457873
            Timer Register - TD - Int - 345057 - 04 - 345477
            Counter Register - CTD - Int2 - 349153 - 04 - 349593
            System Data register - SD - Int - 361441 - 04 - 362361
            Text - txt - 436865 - 03, 06, 16 - 437325

Having an issue uploading the manual but it can be found at
            https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...le_Micro_Brick)

As you can see the Click PLC has a comprehensive data set - so I guess it will be outside the normal format.

OK, having work through a couple of user issues here I also have the Discrete Input (RO) funcioning. Seems stable now.

Now trying to up the baud rate but hitting issues at 57600 and 115200, any ideas? Coms just will not work. Has anyone else done any testing at higher baud rates?

Comment

Modbus manual/documentation

Gaz,

Is the a document/manual for your plug in?

Comment

Neil - did you find the manual? It' sunder the HS3 help section - "big red ? symbol"
                Author of Highpeak Plugins | SMS-Gateway Plugin | Blue Iris Plugin | Paradox (Beta) Plugin | Modbus Plugin | Yamaha Plugin

Comment

Gaz,

Now trying to up the baud rate but hitting issues at 57600 and 115200, any ideas? Coms just will not work. Has anyone else done any testing at higher baud rates?
                  Other than baud rate issues is everything else working? Modbus was not designed to go much over 19200, some devices certainly support faster speeds, but that is outside the original protocol spec.

Comment

Other than baud rate issues is everything else working? Modbus was not designed to go much over 19200, some devices certainly support faster speeds, but that is outside the original protocol spec.
                    Gaz,
                    I just put a call into Automation Direct who support/sell the Click PLC - they have suggested that I may be able to get around the 6 digit modbus of the click using "zero addressing" and just putting in the offset value. I will try this tonight.

So far I have been successful with digitals - if I can get the analogues to work then that will be great - my objective is to get the click performing most of the logic commands and use the Homeseer device as the Z-wave gateway.

Will keep you posted.

Comment

Gaz,
                      I just put a call into Automation Direct who support/sell the Click PLC - they have suggested that I may be able to get around the 6 digit modbus of the click using "zero addressing" and just putting in the offset value. I will try this tonight.

So far I have been successful with digitals - if I can get the analogues to work then that will be great - my objective is to get the click performing most of the logic commands and use the Homeseer device as the Z-wave gateway.

Will keep you posted.

Well with the information from the supplier I have got all digitals working and all analogues with the exception of Hex decimals.

The trick was understanding what to drop for zero mapping - see that attached mapping.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Neil - did you find the manual? It' sunder the HS3 help section - "big red ? symbol"
                        Hi Gaz,
                        Tried looking and searching under the big red ? - but nothing comes up.

anychance you could fix a link here to the posting.

Thanks.

Comment

So there is nothing like this in your help page? This may suggest a corrupt installation, I encourage you to re-install the plugin. Are you running Windows or Linux?
                          Attached Files

Comment

So there is nothing like this in your help page? This may suggest a corrupt installation, I encourage you to re-install the plugin. Are you running Windows or Linux?
                            Gaz,

Running on Windows 10 Pro 64bit - but with a trial HS3Pro enviroment - could this be because I am on a trial version?

Comment

No, the trial should be fully functional and not limit access to the help in any way.

To be clear, you can see all of the other help content just not the Modbus link? Do you see any other plugin help content linked on this page (assuming you have other plugins installed).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

No, the trial should be fully functional and not limit access to the help in any way.

To be clear, you can see all of the other help content just not the Modbus link? Do you see any other plugin help content linked on this page (assuming you have other plugins installed).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gaz,

OK found my mistake - was looking in the forum - not the Homeseer interface. Everything is there and working. Sorry for my ignorance, new to Homeseer and the interface and forum.

Now that Hurricane Mathew is past us I am back working on my setup.

Comment

Working...
                                X