RFID Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RFID Question

Hi guys, now that HS3 is getting closer to release and all of Blade's plugins have been updated for it I am renewing my interest in RFID tags. As such, I have a couple of questions for you guys who have already implemented and been using this technology.

I found the rf8315r and rf8315t's on Ebay and am planning to get one receiver and 2 of the tags to start. My plan is to install my receiver in the attic above my garage and put a tag in my vehicle and one in my wife's vehicle. With the 8M range the system should pick up the cars as they come in the driveway which would let me have HS perform events based on seeing or not seeing the tags.

Here are my questions:

Can I use something like Ethernet cable to extend the serial port for the receiver from my office to the garage or is there a better way that some of you have used?

Do any of you do things like have HS open or close the garage door based on seeing, or not seeing the tags?

What other things are folks using the RFID technology for in their homes?

Thanks in advance for the help guys!

Chewie,

I use the iAutomate RFID tag system for the following activities:

- Dog collar - Let's us know if our dog has left our property somehow.
    - Long range tags - Used for each of our cars to monitor their presence in the garage.
    - 501 tags - used for our garbage and recycle bins - HS announces whether the garbage cans have been brought out to the curb the night before.
    - 501 tags - used in my briefcase and my work ID badge so that if I forget them at home, HS will call my cell phone if my car leaves the garage between 5 am and 6am during the week.
    - 501 tag - lawn mower. If the lawn mower is out of the garage then it will shut off the vehicle detector in the front yard to avoid unnecessary speaker announcements.
    - 501 with motion sensor - used in our mail box to detect whether the door has been opened.
    - push button key dongle - used to turn on the outside lights
    - wrist band - originally used when our daughter was very young to make sure she didn't leave the house - it never caught on - very low FAF!
    - 501 with motion sensor - used on our daughter's bike to see if she was riding it around the yard

With regards to using RFID tags to determine the status of the garage doors, I never had much success with them. Eventually went back to the old magnetic sensor and an Insteon door sensor module.

I hope some of these ideas are helpful!
    -Todd

____________________________________________________________ ________________
    HS2Pro: 2.5.0.81 :: HS3Pro (beta) || Plugins:| SmartHome PowerLinc USB, Global Cache, BLBackup, DooCPU Monitor, DooMotion, BLOutlook, BLIcon, BLOutgoingCalls, OutgoingCalls, ROC-Rnd, HSTouch iPhone, UPS Monitor, DooMenuBar, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, WAF AB8SS, mcsTemperature, VWS, BLChart, RFXCOM, ISY Insteon, iAutomate RFID, iTunes, NetCAM, DSC Security, Nest

Comment

Todd, how reliable have the rfid tags been in your scenarios? Do you get many/any false triggers? Also, can you give a little more detail about the tags and receivers you use? Model #, etc. (forget that, I see you said iautomate. Wow that's pricey! )
      Thanks
      -Chris
      Last edited by bandook; December 15, 2013, 02:46 PM. Reason: Edit

Comment

While I have not moved to HS3 I do use RFID in HS2 and BLRFID, have for several years.

After some initial trial and error placement of the receiver in my attic It's been very stable. I did end up putting 2 transmitters in our cars as they can drop out once in a while. With two I get almost no drops, ones at least always transmitting. Initially I was using the 12v car voltage to power them, that didn't work out as well as i hoped. I have a feeling the regulated input was not as good as I'd have liked and there were frequent drop outs. When I switched to using standard AA batteries the problem was gone. I've been very happy with them ever since. The batteries are lasting me somewhere around 2 years and that's OK with me.

I use the RF8315R Active RFID Receiver module and 2 of the RF40315T-x Active RFID 40 Meters transmitting module w/ Terminal Block in each car. It's been rock solid for me.

I use them for turning out lighting and setting the alarm when leaving and the house is unoccupied and turning some lighting on upon the tags being seen again when we get home, lighting turned on depends on whose tag is seen.

All in all I'm pleased with how the system works, you do have to fiddle a bit at the beginning but it's well worth the effort.
        Marty
        ------
        XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
        Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by nightwalker View Post
          When I switched to using standard AA batteries the problem was gone. I've been very happy with them ever since. The batteries are lasting me somewhere around 2 years and that's OK with me.

I use the RF8315R Active RFID Receiver module and 2 of the RF40315T-x Active RFID 40 Meters transmitting module w/ Terminal Block in each car. It's been rock solid for me.

All in all I'm pleased with how the system works, you do have to fiddle a bit at the beginning but it's well worth the effort.
          Marty,

I used the CheaperRFID modules for a year or so back in 2009 and had a bunch of trouble getting them to work correctly. The deal-breaker for me was the unreliable battery life in winter - which is about 5 months of the year here in northern Ohio. After a while, I just gave up on them.

I noticed in your post that you're getting about 2 years out of your batteries. Do you get cold (like, really really cold) weather in your location? I'd love to start using RFID again but not if it means changing batteries every 2 days.

Bill

Comment

Is it five months or two days? Many of the guys wired them into their vehicles to eliminate this issue. I switched to using 2 double A's and mine will last at least a year outside but we do not get as cold as you guys do.
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Where are you guys ordering your RFID hardware im interested in adding this to my setup

Thanks Ken
              HSPRO,HS3PRO, BLsecurity, , MCSxap, HSTouch Android, UltraGCIR, CM15a, USBUIRT, BLUSBUIRT, WIFIRGB, BLAB8SS, BLcontrol, BLGData, BLLAN,BLOccupied, BLRadar, BLVolume, iTunesDAAP, UltraGCIR3, Airplayspeak, BLalarm, BLbackup, BLLED, BLrandom, BLReminders, BLRF, BL Speech, Hyperion, IFTTT, KINECT, XBMC, MCSprinkers PRO, PHLocation, ULtrapioneer, Ultralog, ultraweatherbug, Z,troller, GC-100, GC WIFICC, GC-WIFI SERIAL, Nitrogen logic depth camera controllers,

Comment

Originally posted by xlucent View Post
                Marty,

I used the CheaperRFID modules for a year or so back in 2009 and had a bunch of trouble getting them to work correctly. The deal-breaker for me was the unreliable battery life in winter - which is about 5 months of the year here in northern Ohio. After a while, I just gave up on them.

I noticed in your post that you're getting about 2 years out of your batteries. Do you get cold (like, really really cold) weather in your location? I'd love to start using RFID again but not if it means changing batteries every 2 days.

Bill
                We probably don't get the cold here like you do there but average temps are generally mid 20's to mid 30's. This year has been especially cold with temps hovering around 0 and below for a week to 10 days at a time.

I had no luck with the little pancake batteries, they lasted for a couple of weeks tops. I also wired into the 12v car system and that was better but received more than I would have thought reasonable as far as dropouts. I faulted the internal voltage regulator of the tag itself for this. My best results have been using 4AA batteries per tag. The Energizer Ultimates while expensive have done the best so far outlasting regular energizer and Duracell by a pretty good amount, like months.
                Marty
                ------
                XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2

Comment

Originally posted by kenrad View Post
                  Where are you guys ordering your RFID hardware im interested in adding this to my setup

Thanks Ken
                  I get them from here these days
                  Marty
                  ------

Comment

Ok so if I was looking at using them for vehicles connected to HS what devices would you guys recommend I live in Wisconsin so winters are pretty rough on batteries and would like a wired in setup

I really appreciate the input I am new to RFID and not sure what I need

Thanks Ken
                    HSPRO,HS3PRO, BLsecurity, , MCSxap, HSTouch Android, UltraGCIR, CM15a, USBUIRT, BLUSBUIRT, WIFIRGB, BLAB8SS, BLcontrol, BLGData, BLLAN,BLOccupied, BLRadar, BLVolume, iTunesDAAP, UltraGCIR3, Airplayspeak, BLalarm, BLbackup, BLLED, BLrandom, BLReminders, BLRF, BL Speech, Hyperion, IFTTT, KINECT, XBMC, MCSprinkers PRO, PHLocation, ULtrapioneer, Ultralog, ultraweatherbug, Z,troller, GC-100, GC WIFICC, GC-WIFI SERIAL, Nitrogen logic depth camera controllers,

Comment

Depends on the distance you need, I use 40 meter tags for the cars with my receiver in the attic. I did have to move the receiver around a bit for best reception. Your situation will be different of course. Attached is a pdf that I keep for my own reference but it gives most if not all the info you need about equipment.
                      Attached Files
                      Marty
                      ------

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                        Is it five months or two days?
                        Seriously? Winter in northern Ohio is about 5 months long. The batteries were dying (or, at least, stopped working) after a couple days in my cold unheated garage.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by nightwalker View Post
                          Attached is a pdf that I keep for my own reference but it gives most if not all the info you need about equipment.
                          Do you have a source for the case and the antenna? I'm looking to hardwire mine into my car, and I'd like to make them a little more robust, both electrically and mechanically.

Also, where did you tap in to get power with the ignition key removed so that they are powered 24/7?

G

Comment

Originally posted by gmitch64 View Post
                            Do you have a source for the case and the antenna? I'm looking to hardwire mine into my car, and I'd like to make them a little more robust, both electrically and mechanically.

Also, where did you tap in to get power with the ignition key removed so that they are powered 24/7?

G
                            I initially got the case and antenna from the cheaper rifd site, I don't believe they are available on the net anymore. Seemed a standard antenna and case you might pick up at any good stocked electronics store.

For me anyway, I found the 12vdc side of the tag lacking. It cuts out often and I got much, much better performance from using 4 AAA batteries.
                            Marty
                            ------

Comment

Working...
                            X