Source For Maps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Source For Maps?

Have read the documentation on maps but wondering where to get the maps? Specifically the maps for washington state? Thanks much !!!!!! Rick

You can try some of the weather sites.
    Basically, the maps section is setup so you can have the Maps downloaded to your server and they can be viewed on your internal network. Part of the design was so I could cut off my kids internet access after a set time but still allow checking the weather from inside the network.
    Later, HSTouch, came along and this allowed not using bandwidth every time the maps were viewed.

Once you find a map you want to use, you will have to find the URL to the image. Once you have that URL, you can then enter that URL into a Map device.
    --
    Jeff Farmer
    HS 3, HSPhone
    My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
    Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

What are some of the common weather sites that you are referring to? Thanks much. When you say dowload maps to your server what server are you referring to?....Rick
      Last edited by Rick Bonari; June 7, 2018, 09:33 PM. Reason: Additional Information

Comment

I use some of the maps at weather.com
        I know others have used other sites.

By downloading to your server, I am talking about the computer that HS is running on. For people with a limit on their bandwidth, this allows grabbing the file once when the maps are updated, and then any tablets, etc that view it from the HS computer so no external bandwidth used.
        --
        Jeff Farmer
        HS 3, HSPhone
        Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

Rick - I've attached my weatherMap.ini file that has several links for weather maps; maybe you can use some of these as a starting point.
          Attached Files
          Steve

(System configuration is in my profile)

Comment

Just wondering if radar maps that have motion in them can be used with this plugin and what the difference is between a radar map that has motion and an interactive map when it comes to this plug-in? Would I be correct in assuming interactive maps can't be used with this plug-in?

Once I do download the url for the map onto the homeseer computer into a map folder how do I access it from the plug-in? Do I access the map by using the path on the homeseer computer or by the url of the map itself?

Thanks Much......Rick
            Last edited by Rick Bonari; June 9, 2018, 08:40 PM. Reason: Additional Information

Comment

radar maps that have motion use the .gif extension. Technically, the are just a bunch of images that have saved into a group. The image rotates between each still image simulating movement. Because of this, you can download them.

An interactive map is more like a program that runs from the weather site. It is designed in a way that you can't download it.

For this it will be a lot easier to have you click on the weatherXML link for documentation. Then click on the redish button with a white question mark in front of the text "Map Devices. Setup and use of map devices." The pdf has images to help you setup the map device with the URL for the image to be downloaded from. It will save the image to the HS computer and make it part of a HS device.
              You can access the image with the URL of your server, but what you will run into is the URL is different if you are internal (at home) to your network vs being outside (away from home) your network.

When you put the map into a device, HS will automatically let in show in HSTouch regardless of where you are.

Later on, if you get into using custom pages in HSTouch, you can make some cool pages.
              The image below is from one of my HSTouch pages. Each of the 7 small images is a map that is part of a device.
              The big image on the left is a large image box that displays one of the maps. The blue up arrow will rotate to the next map each time the arrow is clicked.

In the pdf it explains how to setup a map rotation device.
              Attached Files
              --
              Jeff Farmer
              HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

spknapp,

I looked at your .ini file. Why do some of your addresses start with url=http:// and some start with url=/images/weatherxml...... would the ones that start with http be downloaded from the site directly and the ones that are loaded via url=/images/weatherxml be loaded from the homeseer computer. How do the images get loaded on to the homeseer server? Do you have to save the images in the homeseer directory by downloading them to this specific directory. What is the advantage of one method versus the other? I checked the map documentation and the process isn't all that clear to me.

If you could include a picture of the weatherxml setup for the device that uses the http address and a device that uses the url=/images/weatherxml.....address that would help clarify things....Rick

Comment

The urls that start with http are the ones that are downloaded.
                  The ones that start with /Images are ones that are downloaded or created by other means. weatherXML has options to create 2 chart images and to download an animated radar image. Since those are downloaded and saved on the HS computer weatherxml doesn't need to have you provide the url for those 3 images.

If you look in the pdf file for maps it will explain the differences between the 2 types of urls.

Also, the info for maps is no longer stored in the ini files. There have been several issues where ini files would get corrupted. To get around that I moved the data to be stored in the map devices.
                  --
                  Jeff Farmer
                  HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Bonari View Post
                    If you could include a picture of the weatherxml setup for the device that uses the http address and a device that uses the url=/images/weatherxml.....address that would help clarify things....Rick
                    There are pictures in the maps pdf file that explain the difference between the 2 types of urls.
                    --
                    Jeff Farmer
                    HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Bonari View Post
                      Have read the documentation on maps but wondering where to get the maps? Specifically the maps for washington state? Thanks much !!!!!! Rick

Here are some links Rick. the r01_none_anim.gif goes to around r09 I think, just change the number for different areas of the country. the hicbsat also has hicasat or something like that, you will have to fish around to find them. I use these in hstouch. some are animated some are not....

http://images.intellicast.com/WxImag..._None_anim.gif

http://images.intellicast.com/WxImag..._none_anim.gif

http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/noaa/noaad3.gif

Comment

Working...
                      X