This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X-10 Devices won't Dim using the Insteon PLC & Insteon Plug-In

While I've been working with X-10 and Insteon for quite some time, I'm new to HomeSeer.

I've got all my Insteon switches and Smarthome brand X-10 switches working.
    However, I am having difficulty with my Leviton Dimmer Switches and my X-10 Powerhouse LM465 Lamp Modules. I can make these non-Smarthome devices turn on and off through the HomeSeer software, but I cannot control how bright or dim the lights are.

I've double checked that my LM465 lamp modules are configured using the LM465 item in the device list. I've also tried a number of different configurations for the Leviton dimmers.

All of my controls are running through the Insteon plugin.

Has anyone else had this problem, or know of a solution?

Thanks.

Are any of you guys still using Insteon and X10 together?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp
      I'm probably misunderstanding the point of your question, but I still have a few X10 devices. Two wireless X10 motion sensors and a wireless X10 window/door sensor that work with my W800, and an X10 universal (low voltage switching) module. I am also still using X10 wireless Palmpad remotes for lighting control. The W800 receives those commands and sends out the Insteon commands of my choice (through HS).

So, with the exception of my one X10 Universal module that still uses X10 PLC commands, all other X10 signals are wireless communication with a W800. Although I made an effort to get X10 signals off of my power lines, that Universal module has performed perfectly - with no adverse effects from the Insteon side.

Jim H.

Comment

Originally posted by MattPond
        While I've been working with X-10 and Insteon for quite some time, I'm new to HomeSeer.

I've got all my Insteon switches and Smarthome brand X-10 switches working.
        However, I am having difficulty with my Leviton Dimmer Switches and my X-10 Powerhouse LM465 Lamp Modules. I can make these non-Smarthome devices turn on and off through the HomeSeer software, but I cannot control how bright or dim the lights are.

I've double checked that my LM465 lamp modules are configured using the LM465 item in the device list. I've also tried a number of different configurations for the Leviton dimmers.

All of my controls are running through the Insteon plugin.

Has anyone else had this problem, or know of a solution?

Thanks.

Matt, have you tried any other X10 interfaces to control those devices with HS? Or do you only have the Insteon Powerlinc Controller?

Jim H.

Comment

I've also got a PowerLinc 1132cu, and I can control all of my X-10 switches through the HomeSeer software with that PLC.

I only have these problems dimming when I'm using the Insteon PLC and non-smarthome brand X-10 dimmer switches & LampLincs.

Comment

The Insteon unit does not yet transmit extended X10 commands. These are used by some modules for dimming unless you set them to standard X10 units.

Jon

I've also got a PowerLinc 1132cu, and I can control all of my X-10 switches through the HomeSeer software with that PLC.

I only have these problems dimming when I'm using the Insteon PLC and non-smarthome brand X-10 dimmer switches & LampLincs.
            Jon Ort
            JonOrt@The--Orts.com
            (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Comment

Originally posted by Oman
              The Insteon unit does not yet transmit extended X10 commands. These are used by some modules for dimming unless you set them to standard X10 units.

Jon
              Are those extended X10 commands going to be added to the Insteon Plug-in?

Comment

It is not the plug-in that does not support them, it is the SmartHome SDM. They have said that they will be adding them, but as far as I know they are not there yet.

Jon

Are those extended X10 commands going to be added to the Insteon Plug-in?
                Jon Ort
                JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

Originally posted by Oman
                  It is not the plug-in that does not support them, it is the SmartHome SDM. They have said that they will be adding them, but as far as I know they are not there yet.

Jon
                  Thanks for clearing that up.

Once SmartHome releases the new SDM, will the plug-in being working with the extended commands, or will it requre a re-release as well?

Comment

I don't think that the Insteon plug-in can be considered to be released until the SDM has this functionality. SmartHome has not defined an interface to transmit extended X10 yet. As soon as they do the plug-in can be changed to support it.

Jon

Thanks for clearing that up.

Once SmartHome releases the new SDM, will the plug-in being working with the extended commands, or will it requre a re-release as well?
                    Jon Ort
                    JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

X-10 Devices won't Dim

I've just upgraded to HomeSeer 2, and wanted to move from a COM-port to a USB interface, and chose the PowerLinc 2414U. But like the others in this thread, I've found that I can't control the dimming of my X10 light switches, in this case, Leviton Dimmer Switches (HCM06).

This is a potential deal killer for me. I read here that a new release of SmartHome's SDM *may* fix this, but no further info on when or how likely.

Does anyone have any new info on this? or is there a workaround that I'm missing?

Or should I return it and get a USB PowerLinc (non-Insteon) instead??

Thanks.
                      Last edited by ; May 27, 2006, 09:32 AM. Reason: added a q

Comment

Yes, I still have TX16 Therms, so for a least some time, I will be using the X-10 side. I am also still using some X10 controllers, but I am just using HS events to control insteon devices that way. (I know I could just assign an X10 address to the Insteon, but I don't trust X10, and using HS in the middle works very well and passes the wife test, so I am not rocking the boat.)
                        Also, there is no IR interface yet (although I was at Smarthome last week, and they told me that this will be out in a few months (Q3 sometime I think). They have a sign up in the store that lists the release quarters for all the new products, I will try to take a picture of it next time I am in there.

In any case, there are still lots of reasons to have and use X10, although I would happily get rid of all my X10 since the Insteon stuff is working 100 times better than X10 ever did!

Comment

Can someone help me understand the significance of this question? I'm thinking of adding some Insteon to my existing X10 controls, but would like to understand any issues that may cause.

Over the years, the reliability of my X-10 system has gone down as more electronic devices have been added to my home. Rather than investing money in repeaters and filters, I'm thinking of transitioning the problem areas to Insteon. I'm assuming I can just get an Isteon powerlinc interface, and use it to control a mix of X10 & Insteon devices? Are there some caveats I should be aware of?

Comment

Darin,
                            The reason I asked this question is that several users have reported very poor results using the new V2 PowerLinc for both X10 and Insteon control. It seems to do Insteon only well but not Insteon and X10 control together.
                            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks, that's good to know. Since I already have an X10 interface, would it be possible to have it handle x10 commands, and the powerlinc do Insteon commands? Would there be problems with them communicating at the same time, or would that even matter since they are slightly different frequencies? And while I've already asked this in the general HS forum, if I'm running HS on one computer in one room, and ML3 server on another computer in another room, and since ML3 can talk to HS via a plugin, and each can do lighting control, is there any possibility of each one having an interface, and broadcasting from two different points in the house (possibly one doing Insteon, and one doing X10)?

Comment

Working...
                              X