This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insteon not working

I have purchased a PLM 2413UH and hooked it up to HS3 via USB. I have the Insteon PLM plugin installed, latest drivers installed and the correct COM port enabled.

I have a few SmartHome ApplianceLink V2 modules "Dual Band", first I linked the PLM with the ApplianceLink, then I went into HS and added a device via tap to add. This worked, as the ApplianceLink was in a socket next to the PLM.

However, I then moved to ApplianceLink to the next room. It doesn't work there, in fact it will only work in the same room as the PLM. I have ran the signal test in the plugin but they all fail. The test is 100% successful in the same room. Knowing they are both DualBand I figured it should at least get an RF signal and work.

So, reading documentation online, I pressed the button on the PLM 4 times until it went into Phase Detection Mode and starting beeping constantly. When I look at my appliance link, the LED never comes on solid, no matter which outlet I plug it into. According to documentation, this would mean all the outlets are on the same phase "Which I know is incorrect".

My only logical inference, is that RF is not working and I have sever signal degeneration... I have several Keypad lincs I want to install, as well as various Dimmer modules but I cant get any sort of signal outside of the room where the PLM is located...

Am I paring these things wrong, or doing something else wrong?

It's not going to be a pairing issue. It could be that the RF section of your PLM isn't working (had that before) or it could be that you are expecting more of an RF range than you are going to get. In general, the RF does not go through walls very well. Also, you could have something else creating noise that is causing a problem.

Here's a test to try and see if the RF part of the PLM is okay, and what kind of range you have. Plug a long extension cord into the outlet you were trying in the other room. Plug the appliance module into the end of that cord. Now take it in the room with the PLM. Does the module now work? If so, the RF section of the PLM is okay. Now move it further and further away to see what kind of range you have.

Also, be aware that GFIs, surge protectors, and UPSes tend to filter out (reduce) the Insteon AC signal. Some PC power supplies also generate a lot of interference with the Insteon AC signal. I had to put filterlincs on a few of my devices, including my HomeSeer PC.

Comment

Insteon RF uses 915Mhz so make sure you don't have other devices on this freq.

how about putting one appliancelinc (AL) in the same room as the PLM and then putting a second AL in the other room. does the second AL work?
      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
      Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
      Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
      Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Working...
      X