Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by macrho View Post
    How did they release this early stuff to be purchased then? Seems odd
    Most companies don't do this. However, Aeon has been doing this for many years. This is pretty well documented in this and other forums.

If in doubt, and especially with Aeon products, feel free to contact us directly before you take the plunge.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I haven't purchased much Aeon stuff, now I know better.
      My main recollection about them is that they post all this wonderful stuff and never release anything (I'm thinking their blinds or film thing)
      Oh well, it wasn't hugely expensive . Thanks for the tip

Comment

Originally posted by macromark View Post
        Most companies don't do this. However, Aeon has been doing this for many years. This is pretty well documented in this and other forums.

If in doubt, and especially with Aeon products, feel free to contact us directly before you take the plunge.
        Just to add some substance to what Mark has written...

I purchased a bunch of the ZW-074A sensors when they were first released. The firmware was flawed making motion reporting stick or fail to report. They don't offer a .bin file for OTA firmware upgrades, they could only be updated with a USB Z-Wave controller and some proprietary software. All of them had to be excluded from my network, included in the USB controller, updated, excluded from the USB controller and included back into my network.

They worked fine after the update but needless to say, buying early can cause a lot of headaches.
        Last edited by randy; July 15, 2015, 03:14 PM.
        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

The European version of this device is not yet showing on the Z-Wave Alliance database of certified devices but the USA (version 64) is showing as certified on the 7th of July.

Last year I had a long drawn out series of communications with the chairman of the Z-Wave Alliance regarding another company (not Aeon) selling uncertified devices in Europe. Technically this activity is not permitted but it would appear that the relevant authorities do not police the "Membership Rules" as well as they could and are somewhat reluctant to do anything more than give manufacturers a slap on the legs. My interpretation is "the more SOC's you buy the less severe the slap".

Paul..

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
            Just to add some substance to what Mark has written...

I purchased a bunch of the ZW-074A sensors when they were first released. The firmware was flawed making motion reporting stick or fail to report. They don't offer a .bin file for OTA firmware upgrades, they could only be updated with a USB Z-Wave controller and some proprietary software. All of them had to be excluded from my network, included in the USB controller, updated, excluded from the USB controller and included back into my network.

They worked fine after the update but needless to say, buying early can cause a lot of headaches.
            So, have you experienced this from other vendors? Historically I have purchased from amazon or smarthome and I tend to prefer amazon given the ease of returns with prime.

This morning I did place an order of the Smarthome Wireless Water Shutoff Valve from homeseer instead of another vendor. I'm happy to purchase from them when it's a good price and they ship promptly. When I ordered the Z-NET a month or two ago, it was 2 or 3 days until the order finally shipped.

HS is probably a bit over an hour drive away from me, so perhaps I should buy in bulk and just go down and visit them.

Comment

So, have you experienced this from other vendors? Historically I have purchased from amazon or smarthome and I tend to prefer amazon given the ease of returns with prime.

This morning I did place an order of the Smarthome Wireless Water Shutoff Valve from homeseer instead of another vendor. I'm happy to purchase from them when it's a good price and they ship promptly. When I ordered the Z-NET a month or two ago, it was 2 or 3 days until the order finally shipped.

HS is probably a bit over an hour drive away from me, so perhaps I should buy in bulk and just go down and visit them.
              I have only had it happen with Aeotec. I understand that Fibaro tends to ship first then get approval later, though I don't own any of their devices.

My Aeotec multi-sensors came from another vendor, not HomeSeer. HomeSeer is competitive on pricing, I was impatient and HomeSeer did not have them. I won't make that mistake again. I'll wait until HomeSeer has them in stock.

Comment

OTA upgrades on these?

So do these Multi-Sensor 6 devices support OTA firmware upgrades? Will Aeon Labs release .BIN firmware upgrades for these? Just curious, since that will cure any early-purchase blues if they can have firmware patches after the fact.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                  I was impatient and HomeSeer did not have them. I won't make that mistake again. I'll wait until HomeSeer has them in stock.
                  thanks Randy

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Comment

I spoke with our Aeon rep today. The release version of the firmware still has not been installed on these new multi-sensors. Once that's done, they will be shipping us engineering samples to test. Not much sense in us messing with it until then.

GUYS... I've said this before but it bears repeating. Be careful about the early beta stuff! It's tempting to jump early but better to wait for the official stuff to hit the market.
                    I had been emailing back and forth with someone from Aeotec dating back to some troubleshooting with my original aeotec multisensor. I emailed him to see whether he could shed any light on when the final device with firmware will hit the market. See below, but according to him, it is final. Unless I am misunderstanding him and/or didn't ask the question in the right way... Thoughts?

----------------

Hi Adam,

I've spoken to our business developer and engineering team, and the Multisensor 6 sold by the retailers to the customer base is not a Beta version, it is the mass production final version of the sensor.

Cheers,
                    Chris

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 5:37 PM, Christopher Cheng <ccheng@aeon-labs.com> wrote:
                    Hi Adam,

Let me find out more about the Multisensor 6 being a beta version, I won't be able to get a response for another 3 days since it is the weekend right now. As soon as i find out and when the there is a firmware release for it, i will let you know.

Cheers,
                    Chris

On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 5:07 PM, Adam Greenberg <adam@greenbergyyz.com> wrote:
                    So I've purchased a couple of your multi sensor 6 units.

I was having trouble getting my home automation system (homeseer hs3) to create all the child devices. Vibration sensor was not registering and through some research on their forums discovered that the early units are beta and don't have the release verison of the firmware.

See this link, look at a post from on July 15th at 2:44pm for exact comment I am referring to. http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=175004

Can you confirm when the release version of the firmware will be available and whether the units that I have will be upgradeable.

Thanks,
                    Adam.

Comment

Originally posted by adamgreenberg View Post
                      I had been emailing back and forth with someone from Aeotec dating back to some troubleshooting with my original aeotec multisensor. I emailed him to see whether he could shed any light on when the final device with firmware will hit the market. See below, but according to him, it is final. Unless I am misunderstanding him and/or didn't ask the question in the right way... Thoughts?
                      My information comes from the business development director. Again, we'll be supporting the product and carrying it in our store as soon as the final version is available.

Comment

Originally posted by hjk View Post
                        So do these Multi-Sensor 6 devices support OTA firmware upgrades? Will Aeon Labs release .BIN firmware upgrades for these? Just curious, since that will cure any early-purchase blues if they can have firmware patches after the fact.
                        Just saw this posted on another company's message board:

So... again, I'd recommend not making the jump yet. Looks like these will be shipped to us on August 19th.

Comment

Just saw this posted on another company's message board:

So... again, I'd recommend not making the jump yet. Looks like these will be shipped to us on August 19th.
                          Aeon is nothing if not consistent. That is almost an exact duplicate of what I went through as an early adopter of the ZW-074A sensors as I stated in a post above. Despite denials from Aeon Labs customer service and the retailer, an engineer at Aeon confirmed that there was a problem (there were actually 2) in the initial release firmware. They were sold for several months, by a number of outlets before Aeon delivered their firmware - through a proprietary OTA updater. They do not currently support binary files that can be uploaded by HomeSeer or any other controller. Unless your sensors are paired with a compatible USB Z-Wave interface, they must be excluded from your network, included in a USB controller, updated, excluded from the USB device and included back into your network.

Comment

How did they release this early stuff to be purchased then? Seems odd
                            I work for a large networking company and we practice something very similar. It's all about time to market. If the device is functional without any MAJOR flaws, we release it. The minor issues can be fixed down the road with firmware or software updates. If you wait until the product is 100% fully baked that could take a long time, or one of your competitors could beat you to market and have the upper hand with the mindshare of customers.

I can't say I agree with it, but I understand it.

Comment

Originally posted by sooty View Post
                              I don't see a vibration sensor in your device list. Perhaps this is not yet supported by HS.

Paul..
                              I just set mine up and the only issue I see is the lack of the vibration sensor, which isn't a big deal for me.

Jul-28 9:29:08 AM Z-Wave 6 out of 7 Child devices of node 15 were created successfully.
                              Jul-28 9:29:07 AM Z-Wave Node 15 supports the Wake-Up Command Class Version 2 - Capabilities were retrieved successfully.
                              Jul-28 9:29:01 AM Z-Wave Getting Z-Wave Plus Association Group Information (1 groups) from Node 15...
                              Jul-28 9:29:01 AM Z-Wave All associations for node 15 have been retrieved successfully, it supports associations on these groups: 1.
                              Jul-28 9:29:01 AM Z-Wave Node 15 Association Group 1 can have 5 associations, and currently has 1
                              Jul-28 9:29:01 AM Z-Wave Getting association information for node 15
                              Jul-28 9:29:01 AM Z-Wave Node 15 is a Z-Wave Plus node. Retrieving ZWPlus Info...
                              Jul-28 9:29:01 AM Z-Wave Node 15 is Z-Wave version: Lib: 4.05 App: 1.4
                              Jul-28 9:29:01 AM Z-Wave Node: 15 Controls Class(es): DEVICE_RESET_LOCALLY
                              Jul-28 9:29:01 AM Z-Wave Node: 15 Supports Class(es): ZWAVEPLUS_INFO_V2, VERSION_V2, MANUFACTURER_SPECIFIC, ASSOCIATION_GRP_INFO, ASSOCIATION, POWERLEVEL, ALARM_V2, WAKE_UP, BATTERY, SENSOR_BINARY_V2, SENSOR_MULTILEVEL_V2, CONFIGURATION, FIRMWARE_UPDATE_MD
                              Jul-28 9:29:01 AM Z-Wave
                              Jul-28 9:29:01 AM Z-Wave Device synchronization needs to create devices for one new node.
                              Jul-28 9:29:01 AM Z-Wave
                              Jul-28 9:29:01 AM Z-Wave Syncing Z-Wave nodes with device list...
                              Jul-28 9:29:01 AM Z-Wave Found 14 Z-Wave nodes

Comment

I took the suggestion earlier in this thread to contact AOETECH re: firmware.

Here's their response:
                                From: Aeotec by Aeon Labs [mailto:support@aeotec.freshdesk.com]
                                Sent: July 27, 2015 10:38 PM
                                To: mike@coolyard.com
                                Subject: Re: FIRMWARE - Aeotec Z-Wave Multi-Sensor 6, Gen5

Hi Michael Waite,

Ticket: https://aeotec.freshdesk.com/helpdesk/tickets/102

I've attached the firmware for version V1.06 of the Multisensor 6 US version. You should be able to use this to update the firmware of your sensor.

Cheers,
                                Chris Cheng
                                Field Application Engineer
                                Aeon Labs
                                www.aeotec.com

I can't figure out how to perform the upgrade. Here's my reply back to them:
                                Hello Chris,

Thank you for the firmware software. There are no instructions/help with the application. I am not sure how to setup the system.

I have a (HomeSeer) Z-Troller connected to a PC on Com-1. When I try to connect to it within the application:

However it appears the application is communicating, at least at some level:

The Z-Troller was replaced by a Z-Net controller on my HomeSeer computer, I could also use Z-Net instead of Z-Troller if that would work.

Would you please send some documentation on how to upgrade?

Can anyone shed some light? I'll be happy to share the file they sent me, probably best to not distribute here, contact me if interested.
                                Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X