Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Set to off' Trigger - How does it work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Set to off' Trigger - How does it work?

I want to trigger an event when I press the Off side of the rocker on a UPB wall switch. If I use 'Change to off' it works only if the switch changes from On to Off, but I want it to trigger whenever the Off side of the rocker is pressed.

I tried 'Set to off', and that does work whenever the Off side is pressed - but it also triggers if the switch is Off and I turn it On. I've tried it with two (PCS) switches, and it works the same on both of them.

I am now using a link, and that works fine, but I'd still like to know how the 'Set to ___' trigger is supposed to work. Is this a problem with my installation? Is it a bug? Is it unique to the UPB plug-in?

If this is how it is intended to work, under what conditions would you use this trigger?
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Curious, sounds like status update is not set on your switch.

Esp. since you said the link is working, but the device is not. I THINK that links are sent all the time (if they are associated to a switch's action).

In upstart, do you have the switch set for update status...? Also, what kind of switches are you using? I've got 2-40's and the 'update status' action should be checked (I've not been in upstart for a while). I can trigger from links or devices.

--Dan
    Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

My switches are all PCS WS1D.
      I haven't been in Upstart for a while either, but I'm reasonably sure the switches are set to update status because HS tracks their state reliably.

I can trigger from both links and devices. The link trigger* and 'Change to' trigger work as expected, but the 'Set to off' trigger just seems to act non-intuitively. (I haven't tried 'Set to on'. I'll have to try that one of these rainy days.)

Maybe it's the PCS switch?

____
      * Although the event with the link trigger works without any trouble, it continues to display a Last run date of 'Unknown'. Another minor mystery.
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

As much as I'd like to make sense of this as well as you guys would, I can't either. I suspect there is a slight incompatibility between the way HomeSeer works and UPB switches work and how the plug-in translates all of that. Pressing a rocker switch that is already off does nothing to change it's status including changing the date of that off in HomeSeer. I wouldn't expect that HomeSeer would respond to a "change to", since no change was detected from a HomeSeer device status prospective.

As Uncle Michael has discovered you can work around this, sort of, using links, however links also act a bit odd in the translation of actions from the switch to HomeSeer in the plug-in. I have a few links that give an error message in HomeSeer even though the switch behaves as I want and works properly, just not according to HomeSeer.

I guess like the rest of us I've learned to make adjustments to my system to get around these deficiencies. I have logged the errors I get and forwarded the logs and observations to Omen who I assume is still working on the plug-in since it's still in a beta state.
        Marty
        ------
        XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
        Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

Marty,

Thanks for your insight. Although I've been using UPB for a while now, it's my growth path from X10, not my primary technology, so my experience is limited to the basics. I see some applications starting to crop up, though, so I'm trying to educate myself on the finer points.

I agree, the 'Change to' trigger is not going to do what I want. That's why I was exploring the 'Set to' trigger.

I think what I'm looking for is the UPB equivalent of 'Received X10'. It's probably a Quixotic search. Doesn't exist. Not going to happen.

Comment

Anyone having been here for more than couple of years has transitioned from X10 to something else, once or many times. Since I don't see the HomeSeer devices change at all if the status does not change I don't see it ever working unless something is done within the UPB plug-in that forces that change on a HomeSeer device.

The change to UPB is close enough to have lead us all down the path, that they are far more similar than they really are. I have a feeling that developers are also lead down that same path as I've not seen anything yet that takes full advantage of UPB capabilities without a few work arounds.

I have a feeling that the closest you're going to get to a received x10 is using a link, even though it's not an exact match.
            Marty
            ------
            XPpro SP3 /w HS Standard 2.5.0.80, HSTouch Server - 1.0.0.70, HSTouch Client 1.0.0.73 HSTouch Android - 1.0.0.2, HSTouch iPhone - 1.0.0.2
            Playing with HS3 a bit but it's just play at this point.

Comment

I agree. As soon as I put it into words I realized the path I was on.

If only things would get better, but without changing anything!

Comment

Working...
              X