X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Google Home with HomeSeer directly

Coming Soon!
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

I've literally been searching "google home" about twice a week for the last 3 months, desperately hoping someone was working on this.

VERY EXCITING! I can't wait to try it out!

Comment

Its working now through IFTTT if you want to get started right away. I suspect Google might take a while to make the direct support live.

Comment

Willing to be a tester.

Comment

That's fantastic, can't wait till this goes live

Comment

HomeSeer Automation With Google Home

I currently have my HS3 system totally integrated with Alexa. (lights, security, DMX Lighting). It has worked very well using Virtual Trigger Devices that control HS3 events. For instance I can say "Alexa- Turn Lower Heat On" and it will set the downstairs thermostat, turn on the downstairs fireplace etc. or "Alexa, Turn Retire Mode ON" and it will set security, set the thermostats, turn all of the lights off etc.

I also have a Google Home unit that I am waiting for direct interface to the HS3. IFTTT just takes too long to react at times.

So why plan a shift to Google Home if Alexa is working so well?

The difference between Alexa and Google Home when responding to basic questions is dramatic. Alexa will respond with "I don't know how to help you with that question" when Google Home will give you a detailed response. Most important -> Google Home will be a "Zone Based Music System" when fully implemented surpassing the need for Sonos.

What is needed for Google Home to be fully integrated:

1. The ability for Google Home to add a "Homeseer" type skill and be able to "Discover Devices".

2. The ability for Google Home to communicate over the local subnet to select and play music. The Sonos currently has this ability with the HS3 Sonos Plugin. This Google Home integration should also allow the addition and removal of Google Home devices to a "Google Home Audio Group".

Hope this helps those who are looking at voice integration. My family is using voice to control home automation to such a degree that I am removing buttons from my HStouch displays and making the display more informational with weather, energy usage etc.

I would be interested in Beta testing of a Google Home direct interface if it becomes available.

All the best,

Doug

HS3 Pro (3.0.0.297) on I7 Win 10 Laptop
            Devices - 1221
            Events - 1090

Blue Iris Camera Integration
            HSTouch Server
            Insteon IF (35) - Hub x1
            Zwave IF (40) - Znet x2
            Sonos (8 zones)
            Vista Alarm
            Znet
            DMX - Artnet via drhsIpPlugin

Comment

We are working with Google on this, as soon as we have something to test we will post. Right now, the direct Smart Home API is not public yet, we are trying to get access. We almost have the "indirect" access working where you have to say a keyword first before the command.

Originally posted by Camguy52 View Post
              I currently have my HS3 system totally integrated with Alexa. (lights, security, DMX Lighting). It has worked very well using Virtual Trigger Devices that control HS3 events. For instance I can say "Alexa- Turn Lower Heat On" and it will set the downstairs thermostat, turn on the downstairs fireplace etc. or "Alexa, Turn Retire Mode ON" and it will set security, set the thermostats, turn all of the lights off etc.

I also have a Google Home unit that I am waiting for direct interface to the HS3. IFTTT just takes too long to react at times.

So why plan a shift to Google Home if Alexa is working so well?

The difference between Alexa and Google Home when responding to basic questions is dramatic. Alexa will respond with "I don't know how to help you with that question" when Google Home will give you a detailed response. Most important -> Google Home will be a "Zone Based Music System" when fully implemented surpassing the need for Sonos.

What is needed for Google Home to be fully integrated:

1. The ability for Google Home to add a "Homeseer" type skill and be able to "Discover Devices".

2. The ability for Google Home to communicate over the local subnet to select and play music. The Sonos currently has this ability with the HS3 Sonos Plugin. This Google Home integration should also allow the addition and removal of Google Home devices to a "Google Home Audio Group".

Hope this helps those who are looking at voice integration. My family is using voice to control home automation to such a degree that I am removing buttons from my HStouch displays and making the display more informational with weather, energy usage etc.

I would be interested in Beta testing of a Google Home direct interface if it becomes available.

All the best,

Doug

HS3 Pro (3.0.0.297) on I7 Win 10 Laptop
              Devices - 1221
              Events - 1090

Blue Iris Camera Integration
              HSTouch Server
              Insteon IF (35) - Hub x1
              Zwave IF (40) - Znet x2
              Sonos (8 zones)
              Vista Alarm
              Znet
              DMX - Artnet via drhsIpPlugin

Comment

Google Home Integration with HS3

Does the "indirect access working where you have to say a keyword first before the command" mean that you would have to say "OK Google - tell Homeseer to Turn Family Fireplace ON" ?

I tried this with my family with the initial Alexa integration and they never got used to it. Too many words to say to get something to happen. It was only when I added Virtual Devices and had them say - "Alexa, turn Retire Mode ON" that everyone started using voice to automate consistently. (of course "Retire Mode" was the added Virtual Device)

Let me know when you have something to test.

Doug

Comment

Yes, you would have to say an attention phrase first and I agree its not ideal. We are adding support for that mode since you can then control anything as the entire phrase after "Tell HomeSeer to" is sent to us. The direct approach normally is limited to what you can control. We don't know the limitations yet since its not openly available. Hopefully soon.

Does the "indirect access working where you have to say a keyword first before the command" mean that you would have to say "OK Google - tell Homeseer to Turn Family Fireplace ON" ?

I tried this with my family with the initial Alexa integration and they never got used to it. Too many words to say to get something to happen. It was only when I added Virtual Devices and had them say - "Alexa, turn Retire Mode ON" that everyone started using voice to automate consistently. (of course "Retire Mode" was the added Virtual Device)

Doug

Comment

Take a look at what autovoice was able to do. Pretty darn impressive: https://www.xda-developers.com/autov...how-to-use-it/

I hope when you integrate HS announcements into home you make sure it integrates into chromecast audio too, as many are building WHA systems around chromecast audio today (including me). The ability to pause music playback and make an announcement and then go back to playback would be outstanding.

Thanks,
                    Mike

Comment

Originally posted by rjh View Post
                      Yes, you would have to say an attention phrase first and I agree its not ideal. We are adding support for that mode since you can then control anything as the entire phrase after "Tell HomeSeer to" is sent to us. The direct approach normally is limited to what you can control. We don't know the limitations yet since its not openly available. Hopefully soon.
                      Just to be clear, when you say "Direct", you mean local HS3 app would be able to process the "decoded" VR command however it chooses, but it would still depend on the Google Cloud service to process the VR input and send the results to the local HS machine (via MYHS?).

The primary advantage would then be to expand the current limit of "action verbs" (ie Set, Dim, Turn (on/off), etc) to be wide open for interpretation by the HS app, much like the existing Echo "Tell Homeseer" skill does?

Thanks,
                      Z

Comment

Doug
                        Hi Doug,

Could you please explain how to do this with the Echo and HS3? How do virtual devices get around having to say "Alexa, tell Homeseer to ...."?

This is my complaint exactly with the current level of Echo integration. Too many words; by the time I get the whole thing out I could just walk over to the switch that controls the light and turn it on or off.

Thanks,
                        Don

Comment

I am checking this thread every week 3 times a week

I currently have 7 amazon echos scattered throughout my house and after one week with google home, the commands (no trigger words or "opening" of other skills) as well as the voice recognition and the answering capability dwarfs echo. echo DOES have first mover advantage, but as soon as i can directly turn my zwave switches on and off (without going through smart things) via homeseer I will have 7 lightly used amazon echos sitting in the closet!.

Comment

Originally posted by CameronHilliard View Post
                            I currently have 7 amazon echos scattered throughout my house and after one week with google home, the commands (no trigger words or "opening" of other skills) as well as the voice recognition and the answering capability dwarfs echo. echo DOES have first mover advantage, but as soon as i can directly turn my zwave switches on and off (without going through smart things) via homeseer I will have 7 lightly used amazon echos sitting in the closet!.
                            Not having google home here in the UK, can you give example speech you say to Google to trigger your zwave switches?
                            Jon

Comment

Originally posted by CameronHilliard View Post
                              You can do this now by using ha-bridge. Full Google Home Control of devices and very fast since is all happens on local network. There are several threads on getting ha-bridge going already. Just make sure you run it on port 80. Happy to help if those other threads don't cover it.
                              - Tom

HSPro/Insteon
                              Web Site
                              YouTube Channel

Comment

Working...
                              X