Computer Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cjin View Post
    Between Win7 and Win10, which is better for running HS3? Think Win10 auto update can't be turned off. Is that a problem?
    I regret W10 for my HS computer. I haven't spent enough time to fix the issues, but the automatic reboots are VERY unfortunate

Comment

How did you disable it? I thought it can't be done in win10 home or pro version.
      You can disable it in services.... or cmd as administrator

C:\WINDOWS\system32>net stop "Windows Update"
      The Windows Update service is stopping.
      The Windows Update service was stopped successfully.

Robert
      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Here switched HS3 Jr from the RPi2 to an Arm based computer with 2Gb of RAM to run 64 bit Linux. Around the corner now are multiprocessor ARM CPUs and its looking that base RAM will increase.

You can now also purchase Wintel based quad core / dual core Atom / AMD CPU based computers with 2Gb of RAM. The mini AMD dual low power core has also provisioning for an SSD (and now .m2 mini me SSD).

HS3 Pro here is running on an Intel iSeries / 16Gb computer in Ubuntu 16.04 /64 bit with a side of W7 virtual boxes (via Oracle).
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I just love the Intel vPro NUC computers (BLKNUC5I5MYHE). I have 1 for my HomeSeer system and 3 others running VMWare ESXi. The best part about these systems is they fit nicely in a Structured Media Enclosure and support up to 32 GB RAM and can be run headless (they have a built in VNC Server that you can connect to even when the computer is powered off).

Regards,
          Ultrajones
          Attached Files
          Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

Does anyone have experience with this mini PC? I need a few RS232 port thus looking at this. Would appreciate any thoughts on using this for HS3.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIACP15CS8853

Comment

Does anyone have experience with this mini PC? I need a few RS232 port thus looking at this. Would appreciate any thoughts on using this for HS3.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIACP15CS8853
              That's low on the RAM and storage side. You can add serial ports to any pc with some add on cards or USB to Serial adapters though.
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Today I am using a fast mITX iSeries 3 Haswell based CPU with 16Gb of DDR2 RAM. It is running Ubuntu 16.04 Homeseer 3 Pro and doing fine.

Tomorrow's standard of motherboards will be nano ITx with all of the bells and whistles. (Intel NUC like and expandable).

Today you can purchase a Haswall iSeries motherboard with a reasonably priced i5 as Haswell chipset is getting old these days.

I have added Oracle Virtual boxes which are running HS3 plugins which do not run on Linux.

The above said I built two of these boxes. One is being utilized by a HS3 user today running HS3 in Windows 7 Pro.

I put these two boxes in mini cases; smallest one available for an mITX motherboard. Used a server style cooling fan to keep the footprint small.

I also utilize these cases with mini pcs for my automotive carpcs customized today with a bus device to talk to the car (BMWs). Both cars have mini server racks literally mounted in the rear trunk or side panel on the SUV. (IE: SUV has satellite radio, regular radio, GPS (OEM sucks), DVD-MP3 changer, mobile internet, digital amplifier, bluetooth module and car pc mounted in mini rack). When using automotive tank battery mode the music would auto sync when parking in the garage via wireless. Well too they have their own LTE internet connections.

[ATTACH]62415[/ATTACH]

I understand it though relating to DIY building of a PC. A la carte DIY building will allow you to piecemeal purchase individual pieces and you can say you built it yourself. Cost is similar or better.

Recently also helping another HS3 user. This user is using a mITX board iSeries 3-16Gb of RAM. Homeseer 3 user is multi functioning the Ubuntu 16.10 64 bit box with Oracle VBs and it is also running a media server and an 8 drive NAS box using an LSi SAS 8 port raid controller. The footprint is large because it is an 8 drive NAS box too. It is a doo all box mulifunctional weather, media, NAS and Homeseer server.

[ATTACH]62416[/ATTACH]

So your base above is good. As Rupp mentions your RAM is a bit low and I would take it to the max.

My most current laptop is an Lenova Thinkpad with an iSeries 5 with only 8 Gb of RAM which is not enough.

The newest off the shelf iSeries today is now at DDR3 32Gb RAM and very low powered.

I like what Ultra has done with his mini PC Intel NUCs in a Leviton media panel. As mentioned all you need is one USB cable to expand to 7 USB ports and 16 serial ports (I have done this for over 10 years now).

What you want is a PC or mini PC running Homeseer that you never see and just keeps ticking. HS3 runs in server mode today where you manage the box with the GUI.

Relating to serial ports here with Homeseer 3 went to using Digi Edgeport 8's for my serial control as I started this with Homeseer 2. Small box with one USB cable going to a Digi 7 Port USB active hub (and USB controllers) plus two 8 port Digi Edgeports for 16 serial connections. Note here I prefer the serial transport over anything else still today with Homeseer 3. (even though I use Ethernet now for the ZNet like device and my OmniPro 2 panel).

One of my favorite industrial style motherboards today is from a company called BCM. Today have 4 servers using BCM mITX motherboards (PFSense, MythTV, old Homseer 2 and Zoneminder box)

Looking at the specs above see:

1 - Memory Type: 1* DDR3L SDRAM Memory Slot, Max to 8G DDR3L 1333/1600 LPDDR 1333/1600 *

* DDR3 RAM is good but max to 8Gb is OK but 16Gb would be better.

2 - 1* MSATA 3.0, 6Gb/s SSD (MAX. 512G SSD); 1* SATA 3.0, 6Gb/s (MAX. 1.5TB HDD)*

* personally went to .m2 MSATA. Tiny and it is the size of my thumb. I am doing similiar here with an 8 Drive NAS box where as the .m2 SATA drive is the boot drive for this BSD box.

3 - 7. WiFI: With dual antenna, 802.11b/g/n 300M WiFi by Free *

Unless you are running Homeseer wirelessly (which I would not recommend) then this feature is really not necessary.

In a recap and depending on your future needs you can go lite with a basic mini PC Atom based with 2Gb of RAM or go deluxe with an iSeries and 16Gb of RAM (8 Gb of RAM is OK too but more RAM the better).
                Last edited by Pete; July 23, 2017, 08:25 AM.
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                  That's low on the RAM and storage side. You can add serial ports to any pc with some add on cards or USB to Serial adapters though.
                  Gee, I have 4 GB ram and a 120 GB HD on an i5 and I also run an e-mail server on it with 5 active users. I have 80 GB free.

Rupp, I think you're contradicting HomeSeer's requirements...

Looks ok to me...

Robert
                  HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Thank you for all the suggestions. Would it be better to use a fanless pc for HS3? Think the box Ultra showed in the photo has a cooing fan but not sure.

Pete, what are the things you can do with the car pc you put in?

Comment

The low powered CPU typically use a heat sink rather than a fan. The NAS pictured above does not have a fan on the motherboard. It does use a fan for the server style power supply.

Relating to the CarPCs (two cars - same mfg)

Mostly it is my music collection on the car pc and a simple menu. It does recorded video and live streaming whatever and has an ODB2 connection.

Personally never liked a touchscreen for navigation on the HU display. Navigation is primarily via the radio knobs, steering wheel buttons or a 3 d navigator in the center console.

The bus was reverse engineered and documented a while ago. I can today start the vehicle, turn lights on and off, lower windows, turn on AC, plus the media entertainment. I can do the control inside or via the internet.

I use a combo bus device which connects to a regular PC with software that interacts with the bus (standard bus and ODB2).

The mechanics/software of the connectivity gets a bit detailed and not recommended. It is not plug n play and depends on an IT knowledge base, Automotive serial bus functions and ODB2 stuff. Most automotive mfg's do not have APIs for their serial bus or now today network integration of the bus to the car.
                      Last edited by Pete; July 27, 2017, 09:12 AM.
                      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                      X